Outdoors
Sponsored by

Big Shrimping - History Channel

2,962 Views | 18 Replies | Last: 4 yr ago by rab79
flyingaggie12
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Not sure if this has been discussed, but with all this time on my hands due to the quarantine I watched an episode of this show.

One of the things that struck me is the inefficiency of catching shrimp. They end up catching a bunch of other fish/marine species that are left out to die on the deck of the boat while they sort the shrimp.

Just seems like there could be a better way to achieve a higher yield while minimizing casualties. Especially when we recreational fishermen have to abide with so many regulations like limited days to fish for snapper etc...

I know this is their livelihood and I respect the work it just seemed wasteful.
Tx95Ag
AG
It's the crazy extreme of wasteful.
AggieDruggist89
AG
In before

Aggieangler93
AG
That's one of the things that leading to a lot of our fishery problems. All those juvenile fin fish are supposed to be forage for big trout and reds and other target species. They end up with about 80% bycatch and 20% shrimp on a good day. Shrimp license buybacks have helped some with this problem over the last 15 years or so.

Oh yeah...used to watch that show when my son was about 7. He loved Capt. Bullfrog and the way he talked. LOL
Class of '93 - proud Dad of a '22 grad and a '26 student!
LEJ
Does your average shrimper care about the resource or even understand what conservation means?
Sgt. Hartman
AG
I know HEB advertises "wild caught" shrimp but maybe if we are concerned with our fisheries we should look for farm-raised?
jellycheese
AG
LEJ said:

Does your average shrimper care about the resource or even understand what conservation means?
Is this a serious question? Your average shrimper goes out on the boat with a sack of rice and doesn't come home until they fill the hold or run out of fuel.
ATX_AG_08
AG
From what I've seen on Lonestar Law I think the shrimping and oyster regulations are some of the most abused outdoor regulations overall.
up-n-aTm
AG
Bycatch is and always has been a huge issue. I've worked on shrimpboats, but I won't eat shrimp nowdays due to bycatch. I hope more people will join me.
S.A. Aggie
AG
Sgt. Hartman said:

I know HEB advertises "wild caught" shrimp but maybe if we are concerned with our fisheries we should look for farm-raised?

Or perhaps HEB could fund a graduate or PHD candidate in WFS to find a more efficient less wasteful way for catching shrimp.
LEJ
jellycheese said:

LEJ said:

Is this a serious question? Your average shrimper goes out on the boat with a sack of rice and doesn't come home until they fill the hold or run out of fuel.

To answer your question directly, "No".
aggie4231
AG
Sgt. Hartman said:

There are systems that have been researched and are running that could provide year round farm raised shrimp.

Biggest problem of traditional shrimp farming is it is a seasonal thing. Also, most farms don't have a breading/hatchery program. Most of the farms that were in S.TX bought juvenile shrimp. Plus water use regulations are a pain.

If you do but farm raised shrimp, make sure where it's from. If there is not a placard stating origin, don't buy it. There's no telling where it's from, China/Vietnam/SE Asia, and their environmental quality isn't great at the farms.
TAMUG'04 Marine Fisheries.
Sgt. Hartman
AG
So the one on Copano Bay is not year round? It's totally enclosed I assume for climate control. I don't know much about it other than I have fished right by it.
SanAntoneAg
AG
Are we a talking gulf shrimping here or bay shrimping? Or both?
aggie4231
AG
Sgt. Hartman said:

So the one on Copano Bay is not year round? It's totally enclosed I assume for climate control. I don't know much about it other than I have fished right by it.

That's a new place since I got out aquaculture, particularly shrimp mariculture.
TAMUG'04 Marine Fisheries.
Aggieangler93
AG
SanAntoneAg said:

Are we a talking gulf shrimping here or bay shrimping? Or both?
All shrimping regardless of location. I'm no expert, but I've kept up with it, as a concerned fisherman and CCA board member.

Many places are studying Bycatch reduction devices. These are things added to nets, that allow fish to swim out, but keep weaker swimmers, like shrimp in. It's estimated that 80% of what is pulled in, by dragging, is bycatch.

The best numbers I have seen concerning BCDs allow about 15-20% of that bycatch to get away. That still puts it at over 50% of the stuff you kill with your nets, not being the target species.

There are legal mandates for Turtle reduction devices in Texas, when the laws are followed. This is slowly helping the turtles make a come back. But there are no mandatory BCDs in place yet to help fin fish.

As an industry, my perception from being around them on the coast over the past few decades, is that most shrimpers could care less about regulations and fines as they are very weakly enforced/levied on the rare occasion that they are caught red-handed. Maybe the larger commercial operations do as they have more at risk. But the smaller bay bait operations seem to break any rule they see fit, as they feel entitled to decimate the shrimp populations, since they are shrimpers. This is all anecdotal from my personal experience, but we used to fish with bait a lot in the late 80s and all through the 90s, so I came into contact with lots of shrimpers.

Maybe that has changed. I am not sure. We switched to artificials only about 15 years ago, and don't deal with the hassle of bait much anymore. I hope the attitude has gotten better. I hope some science on the BCDs is forthcoming and we can count on less kill in an average net. I guess time will tell.
Class of '93 - proud Dad of a '22 grad and a '26 student!
Sgt. Hartman
AG
You are correct . My now deceased uncle used to spend a lot of time at Kline's drinking coffee with the local shrimpers many years ago. He said that all of those old salts hated the TEDs they were supposed to use.
Tony Franklins Other Shoe
AG
Many, many years ago I got to go out on a boat in Copano bay when I was a pup. It really is a ton of bycatch and back then I had no clue. About the only thing that benefits are the seagulls, crabs, and some isolated porpoises. I like shrimp but hate the thought of farm raised unless in US verified. I'd rather give it up and give the resource back to the people.

I also know that the TEDs were a major issue for years and look what it has done for the population. Bycatch would be the same.
Funky Winkerbean
AG
What % of the bycatch is shad?
It is so easy to be wrong—and to persist in being wrong—when the costs of being wrong are paid by others.
Thomas Sowell
rab79
AG
Troutslime said:

What % of the bycatch is shad?
not much, mostly croaker menhaden and yellowtail by bulk, with some catfish shad crab flounder and juv. black drum trout spp and reds mixed in then some larger killies and other misc species if you are in the bay.
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.