Outdoors
Sponsored by

Brisket Cooking Oddly

1,807 Views | 10 Replies | Last: 3 yr ago by Bregxit
Bregxit
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Popped a brisket in my egg this morning and am starting to get a little nervous. Currently the point is at 165 and the flat is at 190. The flat never stalled. I can't say I have ever had this happen before. I may end up with a big chunk of chopped beef.

Any suggestions?
Aggieangler93
AG
I've never checked the flat temp I don't believe. Just the thickest part of the point. Do you commonly check the flat and know that this is not the correct temp while the point is in the stall still? Just trying to figure out if you know for sure, that you have a problem?

If you do, I guess you could trim the flat off the point, and wrap the flat and hold, and keep cooking the point?

Was there no fat above the flat? Was it super thin or something?
Class of '93 - proud Dad of a '22 grad and a '26 student!
Bregxit
AG
Looked like every other brisket I have trimmed and smoked...obviously I can't see inside the meat so that is always a wildcard.

I always have a probe in the point and in the flat. Usually they finish about the same time. I have never seen such a discrepancy and am just trying to figure out what may be going on.
Aggieangler93
AG
Ahh...I see now....

Also, as for not being able to see the meat, a butcher told me one time, if you can almost fold that brisket in half from point to flat, it is a good tender brisket.
Bregxit
AG
Aggieangler93 said:

Ahh...I see now....

Also, as for not being able to see the meat, a butcher told me one time, if you can almost fold that brisket in half from point to flat, it is a good tender brisket.
Yeah it passed the fold test. Welp, we'll see what happens.
Aggieangler93
AG
I'm curious to know too, so please follow up. Personally, if that flat passes the butter test, I think I would lop it off and hold it, so it doesn't burn. It's the best part of the brisket to me, though!
Bregxit
AG
Flat feels and looks nice. Probed well. Did my best to cleanly separate the point and put it back on. Kinda looks like **** since I have never tried to separate then before lol.

I think the problem was the fat cap on the point was waaaaaaay thicker than I thought. I trimmed a bunch and there must still be 3/4 inch there.
BurrOak
AG
Aggieangler93 said:

Ahh...I see now....

You can take a good look at a butcher's ass by sticking your head up there, but wouldn't you rather take his word for it?
Bregxit
AG
Aggieangler93 said:

I'm curious to know too, so please follow up. Personally, if that flat passes the butter test, I think I would lop it off and hold it, so it doesn't burn. It's the best part of the brisket to me, though!
Cut into the flat a little bit ago and discovered the issue. It was very lean...which kinda pisses me off since it was a Prime1 brisket. But everyone thought it was good so I am overall happy. Point is still cooking away.
Aggieangler93
AG
Yeah, the first few times I did so, I thought I would be cutting straight down. It's kind of like you follow the angle along the top if the flat all the way through the point, to an extent. When it's cooked, it's easy to see the line through there....
agfan2013
AG
Aggieangler93 said:

I've never checked the flat temp I don't believe. Just the thickest part of the point. Do you commonly check the flat and know that this is not the correct temp while the point is in the stall still? Just trying to figure out if you know for sure, that you have a problem?

You definitely should check both sides if able. I run a single probe for most of the cook just to know roughly where the brisket is at, but do take temp of both the flat and point separately throughout the cook, and especially at the end when getting ready to pull.

They will cook differently on most cooks and its not uncommon to see one side 5+ degrees hotter than the other. I know OP has an egg so its harder to do, but thats where having an offset helps as you can turn the brisket to where the cooler side receives more direct heat.

Quote:

If you do, I guess you could trim the flat off the point, and wrap the flat and hold, and keep cooking the point?
This is what I would suggest as well, which it looks like the OP did. Weird that you saw that big of a difference in the temps though, I've never had them 30+ degrees of difference.

Lastly, the brisket bend test is more of an old myth. When looking at several briskets in a meat case, look for a good uniform fat cap, no grey or oxidized meat, and plenty of inter-muscular marbling when selecting a brisket as a guide vs just testing the "bend" of it.

Bregxit
AG
agfan2013 said:

Aggieangler93 said:

You definitely should check both sides if able. I run a single probe for most of the cook just to know roughly where the brisket is at, but do take temp of both the flat and point separately throughout the cook, and especially at the end when getting ready to pull.

They will cook differently on most cooks and its not uncommon to see one side 5+ degrees hotter than the other. I know OP has an egg so its harder to do, but thats where having an offset helps as you can turn the brisket to where the cooler side receives more direct heat.

Quote:

This is what I would suggest as well, which it looks like the OP did. Weird that you saw that big of a difference in the temps though, I've never had them 30+ degrees of difference.

Lastly, the brisket bend test is more of an old myth. When looking at several briskets in a meat case, look for a good uniform fat cap, no grey or oxidized meat, and plenty of inter-muscular marbling when selecting a brisket as a guide vs just testing the "bend" of it.

Like I said, it was a weird one. I have had some cook very fast, some very slow. I had never seen that big a spread between flat and point though. The point took another four hours and came out great. Like I said though, the flat was just extremely lean. Hardly any interstitial fat at all.
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.