Outdoors
Sponsored by

DIY Pest Control - Scorpions/Spiders

3,872 Views | 24 Replies | Last: 3 yr ago by BurnetAggie99
CowtownAg06
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
I know a number of ya'll do DIY pest control. I've got some property with nothing on it but a shed that houses my Ranger and a few things for the property. I've seen a few scorpions and spiders around and I know its a matter of time before I or a kid get tagged by one. Any tips on driving them away? I keep it pretty clean, but looking to add a chemical solution if one exists. Thanks.
Bird Poo
AG
Demon WP
TailG8TR
AG
Agree with PearlJammin

Demon WP
Caladan
WP worked for me.
AggieStan
Demon

Sprayed around my farm shack 3X last week when. I was there. Saturated the ground
tkusak
AG
I use Tempo around my house and it works for me. I have stained concrete floors and it does leave a little chalky layer inside on the floor but that's not a big deal for me.
T264
AG
Without any question the best thing I have found for scorpions and spiders is Bayer Tempo...... It works
aggiejumper
AG
Bifen XTS.
Demon is candy to the scorpions at my house.
CowtownAg06
AG
Thanks all... I guess I just pick up at Tractor Supply?
PFG
AG
Yes TS sells it in packets that are pre measured for 1 gal of water.

Do note that Demon recommends 2x strength for scorpions.

I'm not sure if it's needed. I've done 1x and seen plenty dead/slow ones.
Missouri Boat Ride
AG
cy-kick is my go to for chemical treatment. Edit - removed notes for house, since OP indicated shed.
P.H. Dexippus
AG
Adding an insect growth regulator to the mix like NyGuard will have a longer lasting effect than just Demon or Bifen alone. It wrecks roach and spider (and maybe scorpion) reproduction and has a 6-7mo residual.
TRADUCTOR
Only Hand to hand combat for scorpions works. Get a few beers, friends, and a black light. They glow.

PRO TIP: 100ft extension cords and look up too.
Canyon99
Bifen has done me right for the past several years.
Brazos1865
AG
Our professional guy uses Bifen granules, I believe. It's been very effective for us.
tony
AG
Scorpions are particularly tough. They don't contact very much material and they don't groom so your best bet is getting rid of what they eat.
Micropterus
AG
IMO, Bifen I/T (bifenthrin) is the better of the pyrethroids mentioned. Its got a good residual, especially if adding the correct adjuvant. Cypermethrin (Demon, Cyper, others) works well too. Tempo (cyfluthrin) is the same active we used to spray on bollworms in the 90's. Bifen = best bang for your buck. Bifen XTS is the high dose for when you just wanna kill errything that walks, crawls, or slithers.
Micropterus
AG
Oh and spray pipe gates and insides of deer stands with bifen and won't have a wasp problem come deer season.
JeremiahJohnson
AG
Another vote for Demon.
malenurse
AG
tony said:

Scorpions are particularly tough. They don't contact very much material and they don't groom so your best bet is getting rid of what they eat.
Spiders are also tough because, unlike insects, they don't put their feet in their mouth to feed. Any residual poison treatment is not effective. Use a broom
O.G.
tony said:

By way of doing this, make sure that you turn off all outdoor lights. Light draws bugs and the bugs therefore draw the predators (spiders/scorpions).
jpistolero02
I have a company spray our house in Austin and the dude that sprays gave me the name of the stuff they like best for scorpions and it's Cy-Kick. I have been using it our deer lease in the hill country ever since and it knocks those little buggers down. I will open the cabin and they are dead all over the place.
Missouri Boat Ride
AG
jpistolero02 said:

I have a company spray our house in Austin and the dude that sprays gave me the name of the stuff they like best for scorpions and it's Cy-Kick. I have been using it our deer lease in the hill country ever since and it knocks those little buggers down. I will open the cabin and they are dead all over the place.

Whenever the soliciting pest compsnies make their rounds, I tell them I self treat with cy-kick and they shuffle on down to the next house.
tamc93
AG
Following for future reference.
FJB, FPA, and FAZ
Ag-since-birth
Demon WP
BurnetAggie99
When I'm spraying the house I'm using Bayer Suspend SC. Kills up to 50 nuisance pests, has a residue effect for 90 days, one pint makes around 64 gallons of spray, a pint cost around $40. Also make sure when you mix your insecticide that your water PH is between 6 and 7. This goes for if your mixing herbicides and such as well. Get some PH strips test your water. I'd bet the PH is high. Mines around 9.5. You can add vinegar to lower the PH when you mix up your chemical based on the label.
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.