Outdoors
Sponsored by

Public Service Announcement

3,037 Views | 16 Replies | Last: 3 yr ago by zachsccr
AggieChemist
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Was gonna mention this the other day but got derailed.

Don't drink and ATV.

I was the first on scene of an ATV accident near my home Saturday night about 11 pm. I beat the ambulance by half an hour. High speed, 30 of Busch light strewn about the crash.

Senseless. I hear through the grapevine that he's still alive. So far. His wife was inconsolable. He has kids.
CT'97
AG
I'm sorry to hear you had to deal with that.

We are trying to be extra careful right now. ER's are the best way to catch this virus right now.
agsalaska
AG
Ugh
The trouble with quotes on the internet is that you never know if they are genuine. -- Abraham Lincoln.
EskimoJoe
i'm suprised no one i knew in highschool and college died of this.

We did some stupid sh/t.

Hope this guys kids get to keep their dad.
AggieChemist
AG
EskimoJoe said:

We did some stupid sh/t.

Hell, we had three-wheelers. But at least my buddies and I were smart enough to keep the drinking and the 3 wheeling separate.
normaleagle05
AG
First chick I dated had these interesting scars in her elbows where she cleared the handle bars of a four wheeler and 4 out of the five wires of the barbed wire fence she hit.
TX AG 88
AG
My cousin died of an ATV accident. Never saw his daughters graduate from college or get married.

He was at the lease with buddies. None of the family SAID he was drinking, but they didn't say he wasn't, either. I've always assumed he was...
Mas89
AG
Ranch neighbor died after flipping his side by side a few years ago late at night. Was by himself going down a pipe line Row and hit ruts a contract mower had left. Machine flipped and crushed him. Other neighbors found him after he didn't return home from neighborhood party by the next morning. In his 50s and had been down the row many times but didn't know ruts were there.
SBIBCA AG 03
A coworker has a son who was in a pretty bad accident because of alcohol on an ATV. I only heard the story once in a group setting, so i have forgotten some details. What I remember though, he was giving his 4 or 5 y.o daughter a ride and some how flipped it over. The worst part, his daughter's head got stuck in between the tire and the fender somehow. My understanding is they cut the fender off and she came out OK by the grace of God. He wound up hurting his hip in the accident but still walks.

Edit - didn't mean for blue star icon
P.H. Dexippus
AG
As was said, not sure how more folks I grew up with didn't fail to make it to adulthood because of ATV accidents. A bunch of us would drive our rural neighborhood/adjacent undeveloped land on them. Knew two boys life flighted after running headlong into a street culvert at a fast clip. I think one died. More than once God saved me from killing myself with barbed wire, a tree branch or unforeseen obstacle/terrain. It sure wasn't my own common sense that saved me. I can't imagine adding alcohol.
ThunderCougarFalconBird
AG
Never grew up with ATVs but spent my childhood through part of life when kids came along at the lake. Rule was always that when the alcohol came out, the engines were turned off and put away until tomorrow. Wish more people followed that rule.
Badace52
AG
A good friend of mine died in an alcohol related ATV accident at his bachelor party on his to-be father-in-law's property out west of Uvalde. He had been drinking and was driving a Gator overloaded with guys up a steep hill when it started to go over backwards. He bailed out left and everyone else bailed out right and the thing rolled over his head.

He didn't die immediately, but they were in the middle of nowhere. Some of my friends ran to get help and another held his head in their hands supporting his spine. He was still conscious until he died and he lasted about an hour. Last thing he said before he expired was, It's o.k. guys I had a great time."

I was in med school at the time. I would have been there but my girlfriend at the time (now wife), had an ovarian torsion the same day and she was having emergency surgery while this was all going down and I was with her at the hospital.

I felt guilty for not being there for a long time, but realistically there was probably nothing I could have done to help. He was a really good guy. We hold memorial fishing tournament for him every year the first weekend in October.
No material on this site is intended to be a substitute for professional medical advice, diagnosis or treatment. See full Medical Disclaimer.
puryearag85
AG
I've spent a lot of nights putting these folks back together after a night of drinking and 4 wheelers. Lots of brain dead kids as well
EskimoJoe
AggieChemist said:

EskimoJoe said:

We did some stupid sh/t.

Hell, we had three-wheelers. But at least my buddies and I were smart enough to keep the drinking and the 3 wheeling separate.

i have a scar going down the backside of my left ear from rolling a honda 200s three wheeler when i was 10. There happen to be a doctor in town that day to sew my ear back together. I would have had to been flown to Anchorage or somewhere if a fisherman hadn't fell on a boat and needed stitches in his nose, calling the doctor out to our village.

schmellba99
AG
I will correct the OP: dont drinka nd do stupid hilbilly sht on an ATV.

A leisurly cruise through the swamp with a whiskey or beer in hand driving like an old man? Rock on.
PFG
AG
Also unsafe. Please stop encouraging drinking and driving. Young adults read these message boards.
Lt. Joe Bookman
AG
schmellba99 said:

I will correct the OP: dont drinka nd do stupid hilbilly sht on an ATV.

A leisurly cruise through the swamp with a whiskey or beer in hand driving like an old man? Rock on.

Always loved a good booze cruise on the lease.
zachsccr
AG
I saw 2 different people with external fixators holding their shattered legs together while on my acute care (in hospital) physical therapy rotation. Both were from ATV accidents (claim no alcohol).

You start to recognize your own frailty when one of those machines starts to do what you don't want and you have zero power to stop it.
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.