Outdoors
Sponsored by

Arrowheads and old cartridges

2,195 Views | 11 Replies | Last: 3 yr ago by TH36
Watchful Ag
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Years ago, my three year old son and I were looking for arrowheads at the top of a draw on family property here in Mason. Surprisingly enough, we got lucky and stumbled upon this awesome little arrowhead.

Right next to the arrowhead was an old rifle cartridge. I was so excited about the arrowhead that I accidentally misplaced the cartridge until I was cleaning out the truck this afternoon.

Can anyone tell me about the cartridge? The lettering states "UMC 25 35".

swampstander
AG
Basically a 30-30 necked down to 25 caliber. Nice find.
CactusThomas
AG
25-35 is a cartridge. UMC is the company - union metallic cartridge company.
Charismatic Megafauna
AG
I'd be spending a lot more time poking around that draw if I were you!

Btw umc= union metallic cartridge
Alte Schule
After a heavy rain go out to that draw with a rake. I have found some of my best arrowheads along the Brazos and Navasota Rivers that way
HumpitPuryear
AG
I was hunting whitetails in Sutton county with a 25-35 when I was a kid in the late 70s. Not a very effective cartridge. It is a necked down 30-30 that was an option on the Winchester 1894 and earlier Winchester rifle, We could sweep that area with metal detectors. I'm also in Mason county. That casing is too new to be Fort Mason related but I've found a lot of 3-ring miniballs and other pre civil war military stuff around Mason.
C4D
AG
That arrow head is the real find.
docb
AG
C4D said:

That arrow head is the real find.
Yes it is. I have found some awesome spear points at my ranch in Blanco county. The old cartridge is neat but the arrow head is the better find by far.
HtownAg92
AG
My cousin in Salado has been collecting arrowheads for 50+ years, mostly around Salado Creek and the Lampasas River in Bell County. He's probably got thousands. His prized find was a skull with a golf ball sized hole in it and the spear head that did him in nearby.

As a city kid, there wasn't much better fun that going with him on a hunt.
Watchful Ag
AG
To my understanding, because the shell doesn't have the "REM UMC" it's pre 1912-merger with Remington.

So it's from somewhere between 1895-1912. Does that sound correct?
Charismatic Megafauna
AG
Also, maybe don't tell too many people about that spot. A clovis like that is a hard point to find...

(don't get excited yall I know it's not a clovis)
O.G.
My uncle has a 25-35, he got it from his late father in law. Fairly rare and ammo is hard to find but I do believe you can order in small batches. Good find.
TH36
If you come across anything else, it's really easy to google the head stamp and find out everything you need to know. You can usually find the dates it was produced start-end and other info like that.

I find old casings and shotgun head stamps all the time when metal detecting. I need to start saving more than I do. A lot of that gets thrown in the trash pouch since I'm mostly interested in coins. I try to save most of it but it gets thrown away fairly often. I found a .32 Long Colt the other day produced by UMC.
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.