Outdoors
Sponsored by

Pork Lonzino Project

1,986 Views | 11 Replies | Last: 4 yr ago by Snow Monkey Ambassador
HTownAg98
How long do you want to ignore this user?
I started this pork project back in January. I used a pork loin from HEB. Next time, I'll get a pork loin from a farmer's market that is better quality. Nonetheless, this is pretty darn good. I used Hank Shaw's recipe: https://honest-food.net/gird-your-loins-lonzino/
I do not have a dedicated curing chamber, but I do have a beer fridge. To regulate the humidity, I sprayed down the inside of the fridge with distilled water. First week was spraying 2x daily, second week was once daily, third week was every other day, and the final week was every two days. The timeline was as follows:
1-26: cure goes on and vacuum packed.
2-9: cure rinsed off, vacuum packed again to equalize the salt.
2-16: trussed and hanged.
3-13: dried to 30% loss, vacuum packed again to reduce the case hardening that I'm sure it had.
3-29: cut open and reveal the goodness.

I'll definitely be doing this again.
CharlieBrown17
SoTxAg
AG
Cool, what temp was your fridge set at?
FSGuide
I've been thinking about making my own prosciutto ham. This post inspires me.
BenderRodriguez
HTownAg98
Around 40. Which is why is was misting all the time, because the lower temp doesn't hold water as well. The additional days after it was done (vacuum packed after the 30% loss) let things equalize, and I think it was beneficial.

If I really get serious about this, I'm going to buy another refrigerator and buy a humidity/temp controller to monitor things.
normaleagle05
AG
Watch the online outlets. I bought a $300 wine fridge converted to a lagering chamber with all temperature controls (and wine bottle racks) for $75 a while back. Deals are out there.
agenjake
When you say, "dried to 30% loss" what do you mean? Did you use a dehydrator?
HTownAg98
I weighed it when I hung it in the fridge (after curing), and then weighed it when I thought it might be ready. The difference in the weight was 30% which is what I was shooting for.
I don't have a dehydrator; refrigerators are fairly dry to begin with, so I was adding water to keep the relative humidity higher.
Tree Hugger
AG
Could you just leave a bowl of water in the bottom of the fridge to maintain the humidity?
BenderRodriguez
AG
Awesome project OP.

I need to try that.
HTownAg98
I did that too, but it wasn't high enough. Starting humidity should be around 80-85%. A pan of water won't get you there.
Snow Monkey Ambassador
AG
HTownAg98 said:

2-16: trussed and hanged.
Reminds me of a girl I dated in college . . . damn those were the good ol' days!
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.