Outdoors
Sponsored by

What's a good plant to put along my fence line for privacy?

10,542 Views | 51 Replies | Last: 4 yr ago by BurnetAggie99
EFE
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Red tipped Photinia, if it's good enough for the country club, it's good enough for you
fire09
AG
We had trouble with red tips, they are susceptible to disease. We are now using oleanders. They are poisonous so if you have window lickers living with you, they may not be the best choice.

Oleanders grow like wild fire. 3-4 feet / yr
Apache
AG
Do not plant: Ligustrum, Photinia, Privet, varieties of running bamboo, Vitex, Pyracantha: all are invasive.

Also since this is in shade: No Oleander. It would get too big anyway.

Wax Myrtles are native to SE Texas & while I plant them alot in your area, they can have issues if you plant them in deep shade. (They get leggy and don't flush full of leaves)

Golden Goddess bamboo is a non-invasive clumping bamboo that will get 10-15' tall. Not a bad pick but it likes a little sun. Other types like Alphose Karr & the textilus varieties will get waaaay to big for your liking I think.

Cherry Laurel is a decent choice, but like the wax myrtle they wont' get very dense if in full shade (like under a mature oak) Standard varieties will get 25' tall or more, so go with "compacta" cultivar or something like it.

Japanese Yew does pretty well here if you get it established before the heat. It grows tall (slowly) and is narrow, so you'd need to space something like 5' apart to get a decent screen. Maybe even 4'.

Viburnum would be a good choice as well, go with suspensums.

Mountain Laurels & Yaupons are good native choices but tend to spread wide which you don't want.
Slim Isle
Camellia Sasanqua
docb
AG
Arizona cypress?
Allen76
AG
No, no, no on ligustrum IMO

Every year after the first freeze, I get to see how many ligustrums are trying to take over the pasture as it is one of the few green things left.

Then try to find time to remove them and stump treat...... they are a PITA.

Birds spread the seeds like crazy.
nortex97
AG
Texas Vitex seems to work well up here in North Texas.

https://bexar-tx.tamu.edu/homehort/archives-of-weekly-articles-davids-plant-of-the-week/texas-lilac-vitex-a-hot-summer-texas-superstar-plant/
yakin ag
AG
docb said:

Arizona cypress?
These work great if they can get full sun. For shade, I used wax myrtles with good results. My screen at my last house was a combo of holly, wax myrtle, and yaupon, looked good. I'm about 20 miles east of San Antonio.
Badace52
AG
nortex97 said:

https://bexar-tx.tamu.edu/homehort/archives-of-weekly-articles-davids-plant-of-the-week/texas-lilac-vitex-a-hot-summer-texas-superstar-plant/

Even though it is commonly called Texas lilac, Vitex species are all native to the Mediterranean and highly invasive in Texas. They are a pretty invasive but highly invasive none-the-less.
No material on this site is intended to be a substitute for professional medical advice, diagnosis or treatment. See full Medical Disclaimer.
docb
AG
Yea that's why I put a question mark on there. I don't have any but the ones I've seen seem to block out better than anything else.
culdeus
AG
EFE said:

Red tipped Photinia, if it's good enough for the country club, it's good enough for you
good lord those things are fugly.
nortex97
AG
Badace52 said:

nortex97 said:

Even though it is commonly called Texas lilac, Vitex species are all native to the Mediterranean and highly invasive in Texas. They are a pretty invasive but highly invasive none-the-less.
Thx, I get that but I am reluctant on the others up here. Mine is for an area by a pool (in clay soil), and the crepe's seem like a nightmare for that (pool filter/maintenance).

Being that they seem like they are all over Frisco, I don't feel much guilt on the vitex (for being non-native) but if you (or others) have a recommendation for a full sun fence line where I'd like a 12-20 foot line of vegetation for privacy I'm all ears. I've actually been trying to figure it out on the various Aggie horticulture/texas superstar sites.
Badace52
AG
nortex97 said:

Badace52 said:

nortex97 said:

Thx, I get that but I am reluctant on the others up here. Mine is for an area by a pool (in clay soil), and the crepe's seem like a nightmare for that (pool filter/maintenance).

Being that they seem like they are all over Frisco, I don't feel much guilt on the vitex (for being non-native) but if you (or others) have a recommendation for a full sun fence line where I'd like a 12-20 foot line of vegetation for privacy I'm all ears. I've actually been trying to figure it out on the various Aggie horticulture/texas superstar sites.

To be clear I don't hate Vitex as much as a lot of the other invasives just because it doesn't really take over most of the time and it is an attractive plant.

As far as for native options around Frisco... Assuming you don't need evergreen, since Vitex are not evergreen, prairie/flame, evergreen, or fragrant sumac would work for native species. They can try to form a thicket with runners. Kidneywood would likely work too, but it is a bit nasty looking.

Possumhaw Holly is an attractive option that handles a lot of types of soil including clay. It also has attractive berries (different varieties are either red, orange ,or yellow) that stay on during the winter and the bark is silver gray. I would choose this if I were you and make sure you get female plants. Males don't have the berries.

Yaupon Holly is basically the evergreen version of possumhaw Holly and is a good option. Wax Myrtle will work there too. Carolina laurelcherry is a good option but a bit of a mess around a pool.
No material on this site is intended to be a substitute for professional medical advice, diagnosis or treatment. See full Medical Disclaimer.
nortex97
AG
Thank you!
Apache
AG
Quote:

the various Aggie horticulture/texas superstar sites.

Beware, there are more than a few plants on this list that should NOT be planted & I have no idea why they are considered a "superstar".
allMondjoy
Lorepetulum. Maroon in color. Trim to height (4,6,8,10 foot). Spring flowers. Fast growing.
Aggiedad
AgEng98
For the love of all that is right, decent, and holy, don't plant any species of ligustrum. It's horticultural ebola. I am in a fierce battle with chinese privet on a tree farm and I think I'm further behind now than when I started cutting and treating that sh*t four years ago. As already mentioned, birds will spread it like the Gospel and all of your neighbors will hate you for it. And when somebody finally decides to take care of your mistake, you will be heaping misery upon them. Don't be that guy.
BurnetAggie99
Brazilian Bluewood's or Texas persimmon. Both native to Texas and something a bit more unique.
Refresh
Page 2 of 2

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.