Outdoors
Sponsored by

What's a good plant to put along my fence line for privacy?

9,670 Views | 51 Replies | Last: 3 yr ago by BurnetAggie99
PneumAg
How long do you want to ignore this user?
Cross-posted from home improvement but probably just should have posted it here.

I have a six foot wooden fence, and I want to plant something that will (within 2-3 years) grow about 3-4 feet past the top of the fence for privacy. I need something generally grows straight up and not to much laterally, not too tall, and that can tolerate shady conditions.

Anybody have any thoughts? Xylosma was recommended to me, but after researching it, I'm not sure it's what I want. Any help is appreciated.
Post removed:
by user
Joe Exotic
AG
Where do you find that? How many plants per lineal foot for screening?
Htownag11
AG
Check these out. This site will deliver them to your door.

Thuja Green Giants
Funky Winkerbean
AG
Wax myrtle, Privets, Ligustrums, Bamboo
It is so easy to be wrong—and to persist in being wrong—when the costs of being wrong are paid by others.
Thomas Sowell
Superfreak
AG
https://cherrylake.com/ligustrum_shrub/

Ours was put in 10 years ago. About 20-25 feet tall now. They were probably 10 feet tall within a few years. You can prune to desired shape
AnScAggie
AG
FAT SEXY said:

Bamboo

I hope this is a joke, as I have a section of bamboo that was put in for privacy by the previous owners. It's awful and I'm certain that it would survive a nuclear war.
Fannie Luddite
AG
Ligustrum (privets), Needlepoint (willowleaf) Holly, Bradford Holly.

If you have a long stretch to screen, plant more than one variety or it will look boring. And bamboo is terribly invasive and difficult to remove.
PneumAg
Superfreak said:

https://cherrylake.com/ligustrum_shrub/

Ours was put in 10 years ago. About 20-25 feet tall now. They were probably 10 feet tall within a few years. You can prune to desired shape

Whatever I get needs to stay at about 10 feet high. Any higher and the shade will start to kill the grass in this particular area of my yard.
Badace52
AG
Not bamboo... It is the worst and impossible to get rid of. Wax Myrtle is probably what you need. Inexpensive, grows wide and tall so you need fewer plants.

Also bonus... It is a native plant.
No material on this site is intended to be a substitute for professional medical advice, diagnosis or treatment. See full Medical Disclaimer.
Superfreak
AG
You can hedge it to 10 feet. I just decided to let mine grow
Badace52
AG
I personally hate ligustrum because it is such a horrible invasive but it definitely would work. With time it almost turns into a 20-30 foot tree if you don't hedge it.

Viburnum is another good option but also a horrible invasive and it makes lots of flowers. There is a native viburnum (Rusty Blackhaw) but it grows slow and is hard to find in nurseries. Viburnums in general are a little slower growing than the other plants mentioned but their max height is closer to what you are looking for.
No material on this site is intended to be a substitute for professional medical advice, diagnosis or treatment. See full Medical Disclaimer.
CS78
Wax myrtle. Lots of water. In two years you'll be surprised. If you get a runt not wanting to grow, replace it.
aggieband 83
AG
Waxleaf Ligustrum will have blooms/fragrance during spring.
Photinia has beautiful red foliage (but can get disease).
Any holly is good but has thorny leaves. That is why I do not plant them. Will not get 10' tall quickly.
Victory Pyracantha has white blooms in spring. Red berries in Fall. Also horrible thorns year round.
Hannah Ray Bottlebrush has beautiful red blooms. Attracts hummingbirds. Hedge or trained as a tree-form.
Vitex gets very tall with large blue flowers. Can be hedge or trained as a tree-form.
Believe it or not, I have seen Magnolia trees planted 5' apart to make a hedge. Have to trim it back yearly.

All of the above are drought tolerant once established. Good Luck!

txags92
AG
CS78 said:

Wax myrtle. Lots of water. In two years you'll be surprised. If you get a runt not wanting to grow, replace it.
Wax myrtle is the right choice if you want a non-invasive drought tolerant fast growing hedge that you can prune to the shape you want.
rootube
AG
Just remember you are trading hedge trimming chores for privacy here. Im not saying it's not worth it but if you cant stand the thought of standing on a ladder with hedge trimmers you should stop now.
citizenkane06
AG
Do not use privets or ligustrum. They're so invasive that it's just not worth it. Wax myrtle as mentioned would work, also American beautyberry and Turk's cap that aren't pruned are good. Native viburnums, Buckeyes, Barbados cherry, and spicebush may work as well, with the latter being a swallowtail host.

Also, you said no vines going laterally, but there are a number of clematis, passionflower, and other species that grow to about 8 feet vertically that might fit your needs.
longeryak
Use wax myrtles and not any of those nonnative invasives.
aggieband 83
AG
If you choose wax myrtle check out the height differences between regular wax myrtle & dwarf wax myrtle. The dwarf wax might be more for what you want on your fence. The previous posters are correct. This species grows quickly and is drought tolerant once established. It just doesn't have blooms or berries. It is not a "showy" plant. It would make a good privacy line on your fence.
Slamn Sharpe
PneumAg said:

Cross-posted from home improvement but probably just should have posted it here.

I have a six foot wooden fence, and I want to plant something that will (within 2-3 years) grow about 3-4 feet past the top of the fence for privacy. I need something generally grows straight up and not to much laterally, not too tall, and that can tolerate shady conditions.

Anybody have any thoughts? Xylosma was recommended to me, but after researching it, I'm not sure it's what I want. Any help is appreciated.

Where are you located? Carolina Sapphire Cypress is fast growing and beautiful. Loves droughts too
Fannie Luddite
AG
Yes the OP should tell us the location. The list for Amarillo would look different than for Houston.
txags92
AG
aggieband 83 said:

If you choose wax myrtle check out the height differences between regular wax myrtle & dwarf wax myrtle. The dwarf wax might be more for what you want on your fence. The previous posters are correct. This species grows quickly and is drought tolerant once established. It just doesn't have blooms or berries. It is not a "showy" plant. It would make a good privacy line on your fence.
Maybe, maybe not on the dwarf wax myrtles. We have some in our front garden that never get above about 3-4' tall. I would use the full size to make sure you get the height you want and just plan to prune them to keep them fuller down low. Another species to think about is possumhaw holly. In west Houston, ours are mostly evergreen, or maybe lose their leaves for about 1-2 months at most.
Bob_Ag
AG
Depending on sun and drainage, you could do Texas Mountain Laurels which will be a little more showy than a wax myrtle. Other considerations that are evergreen would by junipers, cypresses, and hollys.
txags92
AG
Mountain laurels tend to be pretty slow growing IIRC.
bkag9824
AG
Bob_Ag said:

Depending on sun and drainage, you could do Texas Mountain Laurels which will be a little more showy than a wax myrtle. Other considerations that are evergreen would by junipers, cypresses, and hollys.

Mountain laurels also smell like grape in bloom.

But they're slow growers, correct?
PneumAg
siclaro said:

Yes the OP should tell us the location. The list for Amarillo would look different than for Houston.

San Antonio area.

Also, anything I plant is going to be under a pretty thick canopy of oak trees.
Slamn Sharpe
PneumAg said:

siclaro said:

San Antonio area.

Also, anything I plant is going to be under a pretty thick canopy of oak trees.

Thuja Green Giants should be off the table then. They don't t do very well in Texas. Look at evergreens, look for drought resistance. What I suggested grows quickly. I buy mine online
rab79
AG
mountain laurel maybe slower than you need, yaupon, bottlebrush, pomegranate it will lose leaves in the winter but has some very showy flowers in the spring. Citrus if you can wait a little longer.

Martin Cash
AG
Badace52 said:

Not bamboo... It is the worst and impossible to get rid of. Wax Myrtle is probably what you need. Inexpensive, grows wide and tall so you need fewer plants.

How about Kudzu?
Brush Country Ag
AG
Oleander ? Pretty drought tolerant, but poisonous. No problem with bugs eating it. Pretty blooms.
Badace52
AG
This one really needs full sun.
Badace52
AG
Martin Cash said:

Badace52 said:

How about Kudzu?

Don't even joke about that horticultural abomination.
skelly02
AG
How about a cherry laurel? Takes 1-2 years to get started but they are upright really nice plants
CS78
The wax myrtle does good in shade. One of the primary underbrushes in southern pine forest.
Old RV Ag
AG
Badace52 said:

Martin Cash said:

Badace52 said:

How about Kudzu?

Don't even joke about that horticultural abomination.
In Dec. 1999, I read an article that listed the 100 dumbest ideas of the 20th century. Importation of Kudzu to the US was listed around 35-40.
Page 1 of 2

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.