Outdoors
Sponsored by

What happened to this deer?

3,878 Views | 21 Replies | Last: 3 yr ago by Bird93
cupofjoe04
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Doing a euro today, and I noticed a funky tooth on the lower jaw. Then noticed funky teeth on the opposite side upper jaw.

Boiling it out revealed this.

Nearest I can figure, someone tried to shoot the deer in the head, and it went through his teeth. Holes line up perfectly.

Entrance -

Exit-

Lower jaw had damage, and was much thicker on the damaged side

What day you OB? Ever seen anything like this?
CS78
Looks likely. Any tissue damage or scarring?
FirefightAg
AG
I'd say bullet. What a headache.

I bet that was a terrible 2-3 months of eating for they guy.
lazuras_dc
AG
Human dentist not veterinary but my first instinct was it looked like trauma. I think your story is plausible
cupofjoe04
AG
No tissue damage that we noticed. The skin on the lips could have been scarred- felt a little thicker/stiffer than the surrounding tissue. Just slightly, though. Whatever happened, he had lived with this for a long time.

I should have gotten better pics of the teeth. The teeth looked to be 4.5-5.5 year old, but the rear molars were worn down like an OLD deer. I'm guessing he had to chew with only his back teeth most of his life.
Slamn Sharpe
[url=https://imgbb.com/][/url]
C4D
AG
Tooth abscess it my guess
agneck
Abscess. Very painful. Usually in older deer. Did not floss.
Fishin Texas Aggie 05
AG
Copenhagen long cut?
FamousAgg
An abcess on both sides of the jaw, on teeth that line up? What are the chances of that?
cupofjoe04
AG
KorbinDallas said:

An abcess on both sides of the jaw, on teeth that line up? What are the chances of that?

This is what I was thinking. Certainly could be abcess or some sort of injury/infection.

But that the upper teeth on the right side were pretty much gone, a few shards remained embedded in the skin, and the bone looked pushed toward the inside of the mouth. Then, the lower teeth directly opposite were blown apart and clearly pushed outward. You could have put a dowel rod straight through the holes. It's an odd set of coincidences, if it is just that.
lazuras_dc
AG
With A bad abscess you would see destruction of bone - top jaw looks to be close. The bottom one doesn't match that looks like trauma broke the tooth.
cupofjoe04
AG
Thanks! Could be coincidental then
AgLA06
AG
Could have caught their mouth on a protein feeder or barbed wire fence, etc. Could have been done sparring during rut.
AnScAggie
AG
Maybe you shot one of Santa's deer he put out to pasture and that's from a bit.
Yesterday
AG
Meth.
BoerneGator
AG
I think your theory is the likely cause. Isn't it amazing what wildlife endure. And all without ObamaCare...
It's a wonder...
TX scallywAG
AG
03ki11erAG said:

Meth.

East TX deer?
---
Class of '10 - A&M Undergrad & Master's Alum
cupofjoe04
AG
Aggie MHA said:

03ki11erAG said:

Meth.

East TX deer?

This is great!
Horse with No Name
My dad took a neck shot on a deer just as the deer was turning to run. He thought he missed clean, but two days later the deer was shot by another hunter. We all assumed the deer would have starved with the tooth and tongue trauma, but maybe not.

My dad had no idea he'd hit anything, and the other hunter didn't know anything was wrong with the deer until the deer was down..
Ridin' 'cross the desert. . .
John Cocktolstoy
Buddy in college shot a deer that did not look well to the rest in his group. They had all seen it for a quick glimpses and all agreed to shoot it if seen again. He sees the deer the next morning with a few other does and it does not eat but looks to be vomiting every now and then. He pops it and upon inspection the tongue was destroyed and bleeding, one side of jaw looked normal and other was badly damaged but not noticeable from a distance. They felt the deer had been suffering for a week. They talked to landowner across the way and he said the family had a youngster out the prior week and had missed and that was probably the same deer. They can make it a while if they can drink but I bet this deer was in some pain.
Second Hardest Workin Man on Texags
Buck Turgidson
If that was in Appalachia, I'd say 50% meth or 50% overconsumption of Mountain Dew.
Bird93
AG
Gun shot is a good theory. Could've also been an antler during an intense sparring round?
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.