Outdoors
Sponsored by

Wild edible plants of Texas

10,127 Views | 75 Replies | Last: 3 yr ago by jayelbee
AggieAces06
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Badace52 said:

FAT SEXY said:

Need to find me a solid dewberry patch this season.

I have a solid patch in my backyard. It was there when we moved in, but I have been cultivating it for two years and now it is pretty big.

How do you cultivate them? We have about 4 acres behind our house that has tons of patches. We'd love to be able to keep them going.

We bought the place 3 years ago and had a great first year of picking. Last year the rain kept us away and the weeds were tall and in the way when we could get out. So far this year we are seeing lots of blooms and the berries are starting to come out. But the weeds are tall again, and the patches don't look as big as they did a couple years ago.
texan12
Can't wild onions be mistaken for crow's feet? Both have a bulb but one is odorless and poisonous. On another note, has anyone ever tried buffalo gourd that grows on a vine?
Post removed:
by user
techno-ag
AG
We've got tons of yaupon. The Indians used to dry the leaves and make a tea. Supposedly it's the only caffeinated plant in this part of the Americas.

I've never had the urge to try it. The virus isn't that bad yet, and HEB is still open.
BurnetAggie99
A lot of good stuff already mentioned. I tell you that Mesquite Bean Jelly is nails. Can also be make into jelly.

Also the Italian's been eating dandelions leaves forever.
Fishin Texas Aggie 05
AG
There's a mushroom called the death cap

They are so nutritious that if you eat a half dozen they will feed you for the rest of your life
normaleagle05
AG
FAT SEXY said:

Apache said:

Mesquite bean pods
In this book I have it says when the pod is green it is semi-sweet.. thought that was interesting. It talks about when they are ripe and dry they can be ground into a good flour. Wonder how mesquite flour chocolate chip cookies would turn out.

They're fantastic. The wife went on a spree making these a few years back. I'm not a big sweets eater but I'll make an exception here.

It's available online if you don't want to forage and mill it. Milling is the tough part.
AnScAggie
AG
Mesquite bean vodka. A company in Orange Grove, Wild Rag makes it.
Post removed:
by user
swampstander
AG
I made dewberry Berliner weisse style beer last year. Turned out delicious.

Something else that has not been mentioned is sumac. Sumac berries (not poison obviously) can be dried and ground into a spice. I sprinkled a little on the brisket I smoked a couple days ago. Check the brisket thread for a pic.

Edit. Something else I just thought of is Honey Locust. The pulp inside the pods is edible. Black locust is poisonous so make sure.
Post removed:
by user
swampstander
AG
I think grapes are going to be bonkers this year there is a patch along a fence down the road from me.
malenurse
AG
spud1910 said:

jayelbee said:

I've been wanting to learn mushrooms. I see them all the time and I'm always trying to figure out what is edible and what isn't, but I always leave them because I don't want to find out the hard way.
Definitely wanna learn from someone that know what they are doing. My wife knows a few and we have eaten some from my pasture in East Texas.
I had a young lady learn the hard way last week. Came into the ER puking and ****ting herself. Morphine, zofran and two liters of fluids and she went home 6 hours later.

Quote:

There's a mushroom called the death cap

They are so nutritious that if you eat a half dozen they will feed you for the rest of your life

Interesting note: When talking to Poison Control, they said the rapid onset of vomiting and diarrhea was actually good news. If she had eaten another species (death cap) the symptoms are slower to develop and usually fatal.
Post removed:
by user
snowaggie
spud1910 said:

jayelbee said:

I've been wanting to learn mushrooms. I see them all the time and I'm always trying to figure out what is edible and what isn't, but I always leave them because I don't want to find out the hard way.
Definitely wanna learn from someone that know what they are doing. My wife knows a few and we have eaten some from my pasture in East Texas.
Yeah...you want to be extra careful with them. Nearly lost my aunt and uncle a number of years ago to false morels. And they were fairly seasoned morel hunters of advanced years.
Post removed:
by user
BuddysBud
AG
At Boy Scout camp up north we learned that boiled stinging nettles tastes just like spinach.
cmag
Mushrooms are definitely something I leave to HEB.
VaultingChemist
AG
Devil's horn or devil's claw plants are edible like okra before it dries out. Afterwards the seeds are edible. Young tumbleweed plants can be boiled like greens.
HTownAg98
Purslane is edible, and that stuff grows everywhere.
RedgeTX
AG
Thanks for posting. I just bought a copy on Amazon.
HouAggie2007
I'm pretty sure the death cap doesn't really grow in Texas, it's more prevalent in the coasts. Not to say that there aren't plenty of other dangerous mushrooms. I agree with the leaving it to HEB comment
spud1910
AG
My wife made sour weed soup a couple of weeks ago. It was ok, but not something I will ask for frequently.
JYDog90
AG
This was on Texags last week:
Formerly Willy Wonka
Walter Kovacs
AG
spud1910 said:

My wife knows a few and we have eaten some from my pasture in East Texas.

JMC94
FAT SEXY said:

Apache said:

Mesquite bean pods
In this book I have it says when the pod is green it is semi-sweet.. thought that was interesting. It talks about when they are ripe and dry they can be ground into a good flour. Wonder how mesquite flour chocolate chip cookies would turn out.

My wife makes and sells mesquite bean jelly, mesquite bean jelly with chile pequin, mesquite bean flour, mesquite bean coffee, and mesquite bean tea. She has a ton of recipies to use each on her website including a chocolate chip cookie using the mesquite bean flour. check out her website and the recipe tab.
CappadonaRanch.com
Sodadude
AG
HarleySpoon said:

Mexican plums never were good for much.

They are great for making plum jelly. As a kid whenever we passed some on the roadside Mom would pull over and we would hop out and pick a bunch to make jelly.
RM76
AG
techno-ag said:

We've got tons of yaupon. The Indians used to dry the leaves and make a tea. Supposedly it's the only caffeinated plant in this part of the Americas.

I've never had the urge to try it. The virus isn't that bad yet, and HEB is still open.
Nothing to be afraid of here. Yes, yaupon leaves have caffeine and has somewhat of a minty flavor. Very refreshing. Simply pick the green leaves, roast until light brown, crumble and seep in boiling water like tea. There are many great wild foods found in Tx.
One-Eyed Fat Man
AG
Verdolaga
texrover91
AG
Apache said:

A few more I munch on:
Agarita and lotebush fruit
Yucca flower petals
Mulberries (don't eat green!!)
Mesquite bean pods

Anyone ever tried the bean pods from honey Locust?

Supposedly you can ferment for alcohol and Indians used as an antiseptic or remedy for an upset stomach

No wonder deer like em
Bradley.Kohr.II
AG
Comfort distillery makes a pretty good liquor for margaritas out of it.
Walter Kovacs
AG
Anyone make tea from anything in the Ephedra genus? Had a rangeland plants prof who made some and said he thought he was going to die...
Tx95Ag
AG
As a kid I helped my dad dig sassafras roots. We made a tea from it, if I remember correctly. Only did it once or twice. Also ate pine nuts from east Texas pine trees.
PooDoo
AG
https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLVv60L_JAEHYZL2rMT4vU37fvMLgkOCNf
Page 2 of 3

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.