Outdoors
Sponsored by

Gun safe help

2,608 Views | 18 Replies | Last: 4 yr ago by Van Buren Boy
Ajollyag
How long do you want to ignore this user?
So building a house and wife says I have to have a safe if I want to buy a pistol. I have a 2 long guns already, and may expand to more later. I have about 24" of available space in my closet to put a safe, so its pretty much limiting me to a 14 gun safe. Do any of you recommend a specific gun safe? I am not really interested in it being fancy. Just something to keep my kids out of. I think I would prefer a mechanical lock over an electronic lock, but not a deal breaker. I would like it to have some shelves for ammo or place to put pistol and holster. Maybe some pouches on the door.

It needs to be under $600. I was looking at the winchester 12 gun safe they sell at tractor supply. Any suggestions? I looked at stack on and baraska but they look super small on the inside.
O.G.
That is kind of limiting....Gun safes are NEVER big enough. One thing you might consider is to wait until Black Friday and hit Tractor Supply. Their safes are always on sale that day and that store isn't usually thought of as a Black Friday target.
javajaws
AG
This:

https://www.secureitgunstorage.com/product/gun-cabinet-ultralight-gun-safe/
Ag210
AG
I bought a Liberty Centurion 12 back in January and would highly recommend. It's small but I had limited space as well. You should be able to get one in your price range.
Charismatic Megafauna
AG
You're building a house and you can't find room for more than a 24" wide safe? If I ever build a house it's gonna have a dedicated closet with a vault door.

That said, I had a similar size restriction in my last house and bought a Winchester 20ish gun size safe with mechanical lock for like $400. No problems in the 5 or 6 years I've had it. New house has more space for a safe, I bought a bass pro branded safe and the box, labeling inside, etc is browning, only thing redhead is the sticker on the front. Not sure if cabelas branded safe are the same but I'd feel safe taking that bet. Looks like there's a cabelas brand safe with mechanical lock in your size/price range.
Finally, you may poke around with a stud finder and see if you can find a good place for one of these
https://shop.opticsplanet.com/stack-on-full-length-in-wall-steel-cabinet-large-beige-gloss-finish.html?_iv_code=78-WF-IWC-55&utm_source=google&utm_medium=cpc&utm_campaign=plusbox-beta&gclsrc=aw.ds&&gclid=EAIaIQobChMIiN_l7uu96AIVSl8NCh1-nw8oEAQYASABEgIuZ_D_BwE
Doesn't sound like fire or burglary is a big concern so you probably don't need a heavy bulky safe
zachsccr
AG
I have a mechanical Winchester safe and love it. I've got 4 long guns inside and a 1911 hanging on the inside door. Could probably get 2-3 more long guns in it if I needed.
cupofjoe04
AG
+1 for Liberty Safes. Have had one for a decade, it has been great.

Also, as someone else said. Black Friday @ Tractor Supply usually has great deals on safes. Can find good deals on BF other places as well. You might consider a pistol vault now, for your bedside drawer. It does you no good to have a pistol (if home defense is part of your reasoning) in a safe in your closet. Get a little night stand safe now, keep the rifles in the top of the closet and Ammo in the garage, until Black Friday and score a nice safe.
$240 Worth of Pudding
AG
javajaws said:

This:

https://www.secureitgunstorage.com/product/gun-cabinet-ultralight-gun-safe/

"Ultralight heavy duty gunsafe".

Is that kind of like a transparent blackout curtain?
HouseDivided06
AG
I have basically this safe that I got from Academy 5 years ago or so on an end of year special for like $399. It's 24" wide and about 55" tall. The pockets on the door are convenient for pistols. I only utilize one side and use the other side for ammo and different things. On the side I use for guns, I have a 12 gauge, 20 gauge, 30-30, .243, .22, Weatherby 7mm, and an AR-15. It's tight with scopes on 4 of them, but overall it's pretty much perfect what I need right now.

https://www.academy.com/shop/pdp/cannon-safe-shield-series-sh5526-24-gun-safe
maverick2076
If her only requirement is to have a safe for your pistol, buy a Speedvault and mount it next to your bed for quick access.
BrazosDog02
AG
I'd incorporate your safe into those home build for two reasons:

1. You can. You have the luxury of building a safe ROOM that is large enough to accommodate just about anything you want. It will have way more fire capacity than just about any affordable safe you are looking at provided your vault door is legit. 6x6 is not big enough but provides more room for guns and documents than most people have. If you have 10' ceilings then that's all USABLE space.

2. If you are buying a safe that is big enough and legit enough to actually do its job better than leaving a gun in a metal file cabinet, then it will be difficult to move and expensive to move and it'll probably stay with the house anyway.
Ajollyag
Thanks for all the suggestions.

Yeah my original plan was to have a safe hidden behind a wall in our closet, but one, my wife didnt know how she wanted to arrange the builtins in the closet so we didnt decide on layout until just recently(after the walls went up) and by then all the builtins she wanted blocked any way I could put one behind a wall.

There is basically one place i can put a safe right now. At least for home defense. There's about 2 or 3 other places to put another safe if I ever need to expand further.

Wife doesnt like the handgun safes for some reason. Guess she thinks the big steel bohemoths are more secure.
Ajollyag
As everyone can assume. Neither I nor my wife grew up around guns. I got my LTC and everything so I am getting more comfortable around them. Her not so much.
Ajollyag
One more question:

I like the suggestion for the secureit tactical gun cabinet, but I am slightly worried about the humidity within it. I plan on putting it in my closet that is next to my master bath. There is not a door that separates the two rooms. Would the steam from showers harm my guns in a safe like the secure it one?
AnScAggie
AG
ajolly said:

One more question:

I like the suggestion for the secureit tactical gun cabinet, but I am slightly worried about the humidity within it. I plan on putting it in my closet that is next to my master bath. There is not a door that separates the two rooms. Would the steam from showers harm my guns in a safe like the secure it one?

You're definitely doing this wrong. If you're less than 40 then your safe needs are going to expand exponentially (picked that word up from the CV threads). So building a room or closet that can serve for secure storage is practical and a good thing to have. If you have a couple of guns now and a pistol, you're going to end up with 20 or more guns most likely and those will never fit in a 40-50 gun safe. Get the contractor to add a walk-in closet, lined with two layers of plywood and a sheet of 3/16-1/4" steel between on top and sides, and then sheet rocked, add a vault door, security door or hidden door and you'll be a lot cheaper than a safe of comparable size. Add some shelves, cabinets, etc and the wife will be happy too. I did this on a remodel and am pleased.
Ajollyag
Its a walk in closet. One wall is an exterior wall, the other has all builtin cabinets, and my wall has a stairwell on the other side. Basically no room to put one inside a wall. Believe me I would put one in if I could. And no I doubt I will have that many guns. And if I do I will keep those guns in a different location in my home.

I just need to know if the air gaps in this tactical gun safe/cabinet would cause my guns to corrode with the safe being near my bathroom. Or what options there would be to protect the guns in a safe like that.
Charismatic Megafauna
AG
I would add a golden rod in a high humidity area. And possibly cover any holes except for one (near the top) to try and get that humidity out of there. I've bought rechargeable dehumidifier cans before and it's hard to remember to recharge them regularly (stick it in the oven)
HvilleAggie
AG
NRD09 said:

I would add a golden rod in a high humidity area. And possibly cover any holes except for one (near the top) to try and get that humidity out of there. I've bought rechargeable dehumidifier cans before and it's hard to remember to recharge them regularly (stick it in the oven)
EvaDry
FrontPorchAg
2 Firearms going on 3? I assume you are on the younger side. Just make sure you have enough storage, and you can never have enough storage.
All animals are equal, but some animals are more equal than others
Van Buren Boy
AG
Not to hijack, but does anyone know if this is a good value for this size and quality of safe?

[url]https://www.costco.com/cannon-43.8-cu.-ft.-executive-series-safe%2c-60-min-fire-protection.product.100341405.html[/url]
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.