Outdoors
Sponsored by

Joe Diffie

10,647 Views | 65 Replies | Last: 3 yr ago by schmellba99
PFG
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Quote:

PFG thinks I am a Covid Zombie for going to Belize

Not true. I said you were obtuse for failing to fact check.
JD Shellnut
AG
I blame Kenny "My Tractor is Sexy" Chesney as one of the forerunners for the current crop of **** called ****ry music!
AggieChemist
AG
Speckled Trout said:

Hope you're next just for being a dick.
I was going to just let this post die, but since a rook who has posted 1.5 times per year came out with this gem and 14 of you blue starred it, I decided to come back for one more parting shot.

Was my initial post in poor taste? Yes. Absolutely. I own that. Lots of things get posted here in poor taste. In general, a campfire (of which this always seemed to me to be an e-version) is a place where poor taste is embraced and we give voice to many things that ought to be kept to ourselves, and are greeted with chuckles, or eye rolls and "Jesus, Johnny" ala Curly Bill in Tombstone.

I have a very black sense of humor. Maybe you don't. That's fine, too.

Now, nowhere did I wish the man dead. In fact, I assumed ol' Joe would more than likely beat this thing, but clearly if he had a case of the fats, as someone else stated, and other comorbidities he didn't come out the other side victorious. That makes my post look a little blacker in retrospect.

Staff has edited agrams' meme, which I thought was funny and in no way delete-worthy, which I quoted. This makes the casual reader assume I said some horrible thing, when of course I didn't.

Joe Diffie made horrible, horrible music. The outpouring of grief and loss I've witnessed on social media has me completely baffled. How in God's name his inane brand of mindless mid-90s country was that impactful in a positive manner on people is mind boggling to me. Again, I didn't wish the man dead, but I sure hated his music. Trouble was right, my hatred borders on irrationality and always has. My wife will tell you I've cussed the man for his music every time I've heard a note of it for 25 years. I actually turned off a country station mid-way through John Deere Green sometime in 95 or so and never turned it back on. I literally quit modern country over it.

So yes, I cussed Joe Diffie in '95, and '00, and '05, and '10, and '15, and three days ago before he was dead and today when he's dead.

He may have been a delightful human being. Hell, he probably was. But his music was garbage and that's all I knew of him.

I'm not dancing on his grave. He won't be the last celebrity we lose out of this ordeal, and we may all (or many of us) lose loved ones. It's very serious. I've spent my career in public health and have actually put my ass on the line for other people and will do so again. So I really don't care if you don't like my take on Joe Diffie. You're entitled to like him. Lost of people do, apparently, which is one reason I've lost most of my faith in humanity.

I'll leave you with this.

trouble
AG
They deleted it because it had the f word, hunk
Milwaukees Best Light
AG
Anybody heard from Springsteen in a while?
AggieChemist
AG
trouble said:

They deleted it because it had the f word, hunk
Well, that's ****ing dumb.
trouble
AG
It's still ****ing why it was deleted
AggieChemist
AG
trouble said:

It's still ****ing why it was deleted
Well ****.
agrams
AG
That may be a first for me on getting a post deleted.

I gotta be careful, I am already on a 3 day facebook ban for posting pictures of that watch party of 'Saquib Al Hassan's watch party in "Sexy Gr0up". I had no idea a man could sit on a woman's shoulders while she did that....her upper body strength was impressive...
raidernarizona
LEJ said:

Joe Diffie was Faaat.
Maybe so, but he still looked better at 61 than AC does at 40 something, or however old this curmudgeon is!
rlb28
AG
PFG said:

I don't get why country music fans like to find specific artists as the reason for the country music problem. This isn't an artist problem. Its a Nashville, music business problem.

Quote:

Talk amongst yourselves. Topic. Joe Diffie and his inane songs charting highly are directly responsible for the ****show that is today's country music.

LOL. There is no PROBLEM. Country music is as popular as ever.

I've read a lot about the "change" in country music and this is the most accurate I've read, imo.

"Garth Brooks and Shania Twain, were initially viewed as interlopers, their modernizing of studio and show production, self-presentation and songwriting disrupting the genre's status quo and grabbing ears beyond it."
rather be fishing
AG
Post removed:
by user
AggieChemist
AG
FAT SEXY said:

AC.. what's your opinion on Pickup man? There has to be at least one or two songs that you don't think are complete trash.
Trash.

In all honesty, I think "Is it cold in here" is a decent song.

I can't think of a single other song of his that I enjoy.
AgEng06
AG

Man that's a fantastic mullet.
rather be fishing
AG
AggieChemist said:

FAT SEXY said:

AC.. what's your opinion on Pickup man? There has to be at least one or two songs that you don't think are complete trash.
Trash.

Prop me up Beside the Jukebox?
AggieChemist
AG
rather be fishing said:

AggieChemist said:

FAT SEXY said:

Trash.

Prop me up Beside the Jukebox?
Not a fan. I don't hate it... but I don't like it. I like honky tonk music, but I'm way more Gary Stewart than Joe Diffie.
trouble
AG
I, on the other hand, love Joe Diffie, know all the words to his songs, and give exactly no ****s about hunk's opinion.

His music makes me want to get up and dance.
AggieChemist
AG
So I got into it with a buddy on Facebook about Joe Diffie yesterday. He went on and on about how Joe Diffie was the soundtrack of his childhood, blah blah blah. Basically I was told that I couldn't have (or at least couldn't voice) an opinion on him yesterday.

Today he's asking people to increase the positivity on Facebook by replying with something we are thankful for.

I did NOT reply that I was thankful Joe Diffie wouldn't be releasing any more music. But I really want to.

Is that personal growth?
agrams
AG
for anyone who knows you, absolutely!
trouble
AG
Yes
Atreides Ornithopter
AG
PFG said:

Quote:

Talk amongst yourselves. Topic. Joe Diffie and his inane songs charting highly are directly responsible for the ****show that is today's country music.

I don't get why country music fans like to find specific artists as the reason for the country music problem. This isn't an artist problem. Its a Nashville, music business problem.

The Ken Burns country music documentary does a decent job of touching on this problem, and the birth of Americana as the side child of folks clamoring for something real, something other than Top 40 country.

F Nashville. God bless Red Dirt, Texas Country, Americana, etc.
After watching Ken Burns, I "blame" Bakersfield.
$240 Worth of Pudding
AG
Sarduakar said:

PFG said:

Quote:

The Ken Burns country music documentary does a decent job of touching on this problem, and the birth of Americana as the side child of folks clamoring for something real, something other than Top 40 country.

F Nashville. God bless Red Dirt, Texas Country, Americana, etc.
After watching Ken Burns, I "blame" Bakersfield.

Hoping this is sarcasm I'm missing but if not....uh, then you didn't pay much attention to the documentary. Bakersfield saved us from all the over produced, orchestral versions of country music that Nashville had turned into.
If you think Buck Owens and Merle Haggard are responsible for the abomination that is country music today you are way, WAY off base.
O.G.
AggieChemist said:

No..not directly responsible. Joe was a star but he wasn't THAT big. Tritt, for intance was probably a bigger deal.
Big Nashville/Recrod labels made the $#*&show that is todays country music. Stamping out Garth Brooks look a likes and hair acts of the late 90s and into the Boy Band (Rascall Flats) of the early 2000s. Then the hick-hop/Sam Hunt, Luke Bryans of the world came along. It was WAY bigger than pinning it on Joe Diffie.

CE Lounge Lizzard
AG

Y'all just thought Luke Bryan was bedazzled. The fall of Country Music began with the smooth Nashville sounds and sparkly suits of one Porter Wagoner and that is among the Cold Hard Facts of Life.
Missouri Boat Ride
AG
don't act like yall didnt ask that pretty girl for a dance at the hall of shame when some Diffie came on.....
$240 Worth of Pudding
AG
SAWgunner said:

AggieChemist said:

No..not directly responsible. Joe was a star but he wasn't THAT big. Tritt, for intance was probably a bigger deal.
Big Nashville/Recrod labels made the $#*&show that is todays country music. Stamping out Garth Brooks look a likes and hair acts of the late 90s and into the Boy Band (Rascall Flats) of the early 2000s. Then the hick-hop/Sam Hunt, Luke Bryans of the world came along. It was WAY bigger than pinning it on Joe Diffie.

Travis Tritt doesn't belong in the same sentence as Joe Diffie.
Tritt has talent and true bona fides. Yeah he had to go commercial to get his foot in the door, but you're not paying attention if you think that's all he is. Similar to Ricky Skaggs that way. Had a bunch of top 40 bubblegum country songs but they are bluegrass boys through and through.
Tritt can pick, write, and has one of the best voices in country music history.
O.G.
Yelnick McWawa said:

SAWgunner said:

AggieChemist said:

Tritt has talent and true bona fides. Yeah he had to go commercial to get his foot in the door, but you're not paying attention if you think that's all he is. Similar to Ricky Skaggs that way. Had a bunch of top 40 bubblegum country songs but they are bluegrass boys through and through.
Disagreed about, "not in the same conversation" They have toured together, were in the top-40 at the same time, both sported the Power Mullet....etc etc.

Yes, I realize that Tritt is/was a bigger talent, I said that in my post. I saw Tritt live in his hey day, but at least chronologically they were certainly contemporaries at their height.
$240 Worth of Pudding
AG
SAWgunner said:

Yelnick McWawa said:

SAWgunner said:

AggieChemist said:

Disagreed about, "not in the same conversation" They have toured together, were in the top-40 at the same time, both sported the Power Mullet....etc etc.

Yes, I realize that Tritt is/was a bigger talent, I said that in my post. I saw Tritt live in his hey day, but at least chronologically they were certainly contemporaries at their height.

I took your post to mean that Tritt played a bigger part in turning country into the abomination it is today.
That's what I disagree vehemently with.
I'm not arguing they weren't contemporaries. But that has nothing to do with what (I thought) was the point of the conversation.
Slamn Sharpe
AC with back to back gems

1. Doesnt feel bad for people dying in boating accident
2. Joe Diffie can burn in hell

Slamn Sharpe
AgLA06 said:

Eddie Rabbit gave us George Straight. You better show some respect.

And you better show George Strait some respect

Shame on all of you for allowing this to fly
schmellba99
AG
AggieChemist said:

I made it through the loss of Cash, LeDoux, Haggard, Owens, Jennings and Jones. Y'all will survive the loss of John Deere green.

True story. I painted Billybob Loves Charlene on a water tower in my hometown on a dare. In John Deere Green.

Long ass climb up that ladder, and I was in shape back then. Wore me the hell out, must have laid on the catwalk for a good 10 minutes before I started my artwork that night.

Diffie had a few good songs, but wasn't a mount Rushmore of country music candidate by any stretch.
Refresh
Page 2 of 2

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.