Outdoors
Sponsored by

Houston County 50 Acres - What would you do?

2,098 Views | 7 Replies | Last: 4 yr ago by Justified
EastTexAg09
How long do you want to ignore this user?
If you owned 50 acres in Houston county, and you lived an hour and a half away from the property, what would you do with the property? Continue to lease it for cattle, lease it for hunting, sell it, something else?

Pictures from the front gate:

phorizt
Move there
PFG
AG
Continue to lease
Pay the low tax bill
Start acquiring surrounding tracts as generations turn over or people need the money.
tamc93
AG
I think it depends on how you personally want to use it. Thoughts:

• Keep your ag exemption by cattle or hay. Make some cash to "maintain it"
  • Hunt it yourself
  • Lease to someone to help you maintain it
  • Sell it if you have to
FJB, FPA, and FAZ
HtownAg92
AG
phorizt said:

Move there
Yep. Build a getaway house and a shop / barn for your toys. Dig a tank and stock it. Plant some sort of grain to get ag exemption and to draw in wildlife. Hunt and fish it yourself. Go there as much as possible. Leave it to your kids.
agfan2013
AG
They ain't making more land anytime soon, so if it was me I'd keep it.

Now what you do with it probably depends on preferences and what shape the land is in. Pics look like it has pastureland so lease if you don't want to mess with cattle, or run some of your own if you do.

At the end of the day only you know what you enjoy. I personally enjoy getting out to the country and away from crazy people, hunting, target shooting, checking cattle. but some people don't like it as much, you might be one, even if so I wouldn't sell the place. Lease it out for someone else to graze livestock.
johnrth
We have 50 Acres in Houston County as well and I'm out there at least 2-3x a month just screwing around, target practice, working on the land, "hunting", etc. Keep it and go get away and play.

What part of Houston County are you in?
EastTexAg09
The property is outside of Lovelady. It belonged to my great grandfather and is now owned by my grandmother. We have other property closer to home that we work and hunt. We are starting to discuss future plans for the property in question.
Justified
I know someone in Lovelady that might be interested in leasing for cattle. I could ask if you'd like?
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.