Outdoors
Sponsored by

Washington State shuts down recreational fishing

13,472 Views | 124 Replies | Last: 3 yr ago by PFG
rather be fishing
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
I really hope this isn't something takes off in other states, and I'd be pissed if I lived in Washington.

https://www.khq.com/coronavirus/recreational-fishing-temporarily-closed-in-washington-amid-stay-home-stay/article_616e833c-6ef2-11ea-8622-0f405e004e85.html

Quote:

The Washington State Department of Fish and Wildlife (WDFW) has made the decision to temporarily close recreational fishing and shellfishing statewide.
The announcement came in response to Governor Jay Inslee's order directing Washingtonians to stay home and stay healthy to limit the spread of COVID-19.
The closures will begin at midnight Wednesday, March 25 and last until at least 5:00 pm on April 8. On April 6, the Department will reevaluate whether the closure needs to be extended.

"This is not a decision we take lightly, but it's the right thing to do for the health and well-being of Washington's families," WDFW Director Kelly Susewind said. "Monday's extraordinary order for the residents of our state to stay home requires all of us to work together to ensure these measures have the intended effect."
Fishery managers have reported that some anglers have been seen crowding banks as concerns over coronavirus have continued.

"We've seen an uptick in outdoor recreation at some locations in recent weeks as people have looked for ways to get outside," WDFW Fish Program Director Kelly Cunningham said. "We've had reports of crowded boat ramps and busy fishing on some rivers, which runs counter to the governor's direction to stay home and practice social distancing"
In addition, many salmon and steelhead fisheries require regular monitoring under the Endangered Species Act, which includes conducting angler interviews at access sites surrounding state waters. The face-to-face nature of these interviews puts people at potential risk for the virus. Without such monitoring, these recreational fisheries must close to ensure ESA protections.
WDFW Enforcement officers will remain on duty and will be enforcing the new closures.
For more information, visit the WDFW website HERE.
EMY92
AG
The government in Washington state is controlled by Seattle. I wouldn't be surprised if this isn't being done to thumb their noses at the rural folks.
PFG
AG
Quote:

I wouldn't be surprised if this is being done to save lives

Here. I helped you.
EMY92
AG
I didn't realize that the contagion is fish borne. Thanks
PFG
AG
Quote:

I really hope this isn't something takes off in other states

But why? I hope Texas closes all state parks, all boat ramps, etc. I hope COE joins in.

Temporary "hardship" of losing our outdoor rec in the name of protecting our population.

I just don't get it. So many people want life back to normal. This is not the time for that.
Post removed:
by user
PFG
AG
Let me know when you have someone close to you that dies from this. Someone not old, not in poor health, not ignoring the symptoms. Hooked up to a vent. And die 10 days later.

Let me know when you have a spouse working in the Med field, risking own life to fight the spread.

Until then, roll your eyes and pretend it's just a bad cold and an overblown media story.

I'll be here to bump this when Texas catches up, smartens up, and closes down outdoor rec.
Ag_07
AG
The problem is most people fish with other people. Yes I get some fish alone but I think it's mostly a social activity.

If you want to stop this thing you've got to stop people interacting.

As much as it sucks to not be able to fish it's a move meant to curtail the spread.
Post removed:
by user
txags92
AG
PFG said:

Let me know when you have someone close to you that dies from this. Someone not old, not in poor health, not ignoring the symptoms. Hooked up to a vent. And die 10 days later.

Let me know when you have a spouse working in the Med field, risking own life to fight the spread.

Until then, roll your eyes and pretend it's just a bad cold and an overblown media story.

I'll be here to bump this when Texas catches up, smartens up, and closes down outdoor rec.

Then ban the things that cause the spread...if too many people are hanging out at a boat ramp, close the boat ramps. If too many people are standing together at a popular fishing spot, go in and ask them to disperse. But telling everybody that they can't stand by themselves in a river with a fishing rod is just stupid and an overreaction. Somebody standing by themselves on the side of a river with a fishing rod isn't putting anybody's wife or loved ones at any risk whatsoever and your are an idiot to suggest otherwise.
txags92
AG
Sorry Ag_07, my post above replied to you, but was meant for PFG. I fixed the quote at least...
P.U.T.U
AG
There is more of a chance getting it by walking on public trails than fishing. There were hundreds of people on the trails where I live and there is no way to not be within 6 feet when you pass someone going the other way.

Getting a family out of the house onto the lake seems like a healthy, low-risk activity.
CharlieBrown17
AG

Quote:

I'll be here to be a self righteous **** as usual.

FIFY
CharlieBrown17
AG
Agreed.

If you can still go outside for runs or walks if following the distance guidelines fishing should be fine too.

Can't tell you the last time I fished within 6 feet of someone and definitely haven't even fished that close to someone I didn't live with
BenderRodriguez
AG
Hard to argue with you there. Ironically enough around here it's getting harder to walk dogs/go for a run than it used to be and maintain those distances.

I'm out everyday with dogs/kid even before all this, and I'm seeing more people out walking than I've ever seen in years of living in this area.

Michele Obama got her "get out and move" program all wrong. If she'd told Americans to stay on their couch she could have really kicked obesities ass.
CanyonAg77
AG
Our local NWR has closed. It gets maybe 20 visitors a day on a very busy day. Almost everyone is in a car, or hiking some of the 10 miles of trail, without anyone else in sight.

However Palo Duro Canyon State Park is still open

No logic, no rhyme or reason
Lt. Joe Bookman
AG
So far, Oregon just did it for fishing in the Columbia River, since they manage that together with Washington.

I'll be pissed if they manage to close it down here in Southern Oregon where I'm never closer than 50 yards to another person.
PFG
AG
Agree. It's a bummer that cross agency folks can't get together and get this right.

Happening in medicine too. Some surgeons still want to do elective cases during all this. Luckily Tx med board going to threaten with pulling license to practice if there is failure to comply. Most ambulatory surgery centers should start closing doors by end of week.
CanyonAg77
AG
You and I are probably going to disagree about which agency is correct.
rather be fishing
AG
PFG said:

Quote:

I really hope this isn't something takes off in other states

But why? I hope Texas closes all state parks, all boat ramps, etc. I hope COE joins in.

Temporary "hardship" of losing our outdoor rec in the name of protecting our population.

I just don't get it. So many people want life back to normal. This is not the time for that.
The reason I would disagree with with a ban on rec fishing is because if I go fishing, I'm going to be on a river by myself, and won't come within 600 yards of another person.

How is that scenario going to increase likelihood of transmission?

My job is directly related to recreation. I oversee dozens of public rec sites, and work in conjunction with USFS and the Montana FWP on parks that we operate in coordination. All of these entities are making decisions to shut down some of their facilities, while also trying to realize that people need to be able to get outside and do things.

Things are different up here. It's not Texas. Our county is 2,790 square miles and the total population is less than 12,000.

ironmanag
AG
Duuuuushes are always that way. Why am I not shocked in the slightest.
According to the Biden White House, what Joe Biden says does not represent the official position of the Biden administration.
BullShot
AG
Seems a bit dramatic. I have sat by a loved one as the plug was pulled after a horrific car accident. More people die daily from car accidents than this virus. I don't see anyone suggesting we stop driving or wear bubble wrap everywhere we go. Trying to control people isn't the answer. Sometimes Mother Nature sends a virus to take care of the population, and that is just a fact of life. Telling people they can't go fishing by themselves is one of the dumber solutions I have heard of.
cledus6150
AG
I will continue to roll my eyes and base my opinion off of those i know, both my mother and brother are on the front lines of this in the Houston area. My brother is a paramedic and my Mother is a nurse, both are saying the same thing way overblown.
PFG
AG
I'll pray for both your mother and your brother. That their cavalier attitude doesn't get themselves, you, or someone else killed.

Front lines huh. I'll make sure to tell my wife that both a nurse and paramedic said it's all cool, not to worry. Experts in the field, no doubt. Thanks. That'll make her feel way better about her hospitals having 2 weeks of PPE left before choosing between recycled masks, the oath she took, and exposing herself and her family.

:|
Dirty-8-thirty Ag
AG
CanyonAg77 said:

Our local NWR has closed. It gets maybe 20 visitors a day on a very busy day. Almost everyone is in a car, or hiking some of the 10 miles of trail, without anyone else in sight.

However Palo Duro Canyon State Park is still open

No logic, no rhyme or reason

The boat ramps were closed at Amistad yesterday too. Must be a National Park/NWR mandate. Sucks because I planned on going fishing this weekend at Amistad, it is on fire right now. Tons of people boating fish that are 10+.
MizooAg94
AG
PFG said:

Quote:

I wouldn't be surprised if this is being done to save lives

Here. I helped you.

Some Sho-me state common sense....

https://www.stltoday.com/lifestyles/health-med-fit/coronavirus/go-fish-no-permit-required-starting-friday-in-missouri/article_fe5b0fa7-508b-5cd1-b909-0adb25e2cd85.html
zachsccr
AG
"The face-to-face nature of these interviews puts people at potential risk for the virus. "

They can't stand 6+ feet apart and have these interviews? All their people low talkers?
PFG
AG
https://instagr.am/p/B-Nag2QjoI3
cledus6150
AG
Did I say they were not taking precautions, no I did not. Did I say they where taking a caviler attitude towards it, no I did not. You are drawing assumptions, they are taking all precautions that are needed from a severe year of the flu. PPE shortcomings are nation wide not just your wife's place of business, all first responders are dealing with it.

Yes front line, as both have handled multiple individuals who tested positive thats about as front lines as you can get. Also I never recommended to anyone to not take it seriously nor claimed that they where experts in the field, though previously my mother was the director of infectious disease at the hospital. I just provided what there opinion was of the situation.
txags92
AG
cledus6150 said:

Did I say they were not taking precautions, no I did not. Did I say they where taking a caviler attitude towards it, no I did not. You are drawing assumptions, they are taking all precautions that are needed from a severe year of the flu. PPE shortcomings are nation wide not just your wife's place of business, all first responders are dealing with it.

Yes front line, as both have handled multiple individuals who tested positive thats about as front lines as you can get. Also I never recommended to anyone to not take it seriously nor claimed that they where experts in the field, though previously my mother was the director of infectious disease at the hospital. I just provided what there opinion was of the situation.

I suspect PFG's wife handles the pressure of her job much better than PFG does. He is probably the excitable one in their relationship.
Q-Tip 94
AG
I lived in southern Washington for 8 years in the late 70's early 80's and loved it then. I don't even like visiting up there any more.
PFG
AG
Quote:

both are saying the same thing way overblown.

Quote:

Did I say they where taking a caviler attitude towards it, no I did not
PFG
AG
Ok
cledus6150
AG
Ok the fact that they believe it is being way overblown does not mean that they are not responding in a professional manner or showing a lack of proper concern. What you may deem as proper concern and what they deem as proper concern are evidently completely different.
Last Page
Page 1 of 4

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.