Outdoors
Sponsored by

Another hog down and reminiscing a bit

1,605 Views | 2 Replies | Last: 4 yr ago by GSS
SanAntoneAg
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
My son grew weary of sitting at home, doing online school work and cutting neighbors' lawns over the past 10 days so handed him the truck keys and he loaded up provisions and proper weaponry to exodus the Bexar County shutdown.

Envious yet proud of him, his journey brought back memories of the mid 80s when my brother, buddy and I would cut out for a weekend during deer season to his family's place outside of Cotulla. Bail out Friday night after school and return to the big city on Sunday afternoon. No cell phones, no contact with parents, camping out in the bed of an old F150. And having the best times ever.

Times have changed for better or worse. My son is up in Edwards County, there by himself with a cabin, electricity, AC, fridge and spotty cell service. The firewood is likely too wet after 3 inches of rain late last week. But he's making the best of his time away. I just wish I was there with him.

This evening he scrambled up into the tripod and, as he tells me, about 8 p.m. a hog found the temptation to visit the feeder a bit to great. The Stevens 200, which ironically cost about 200 bucks about 10 years ago and has patiently sat in the safe for the last few seasons, found its mark on this young boar. The rifle tends to like the green and yellow box Remington .243 Core Lokts.

Before he left I handed him a knife his grandfather (my dad) had made for me to secure backstraps should he luck into a pig. We'll see how his surgical protein extraction went upon his return Thursday or Friday.

Hopefully he'll sling some more lead tomorrow while mom and dad are tied up on laptops working remotely from home.

giddings_ag_06
AG
You should do my write ups when I shoot some.
Moon Shadow
Nice young hog!
GSS
giddings_ag_06 said:

You should do my write ups when I shoot some.
Too long between chapters.....
NRA Life
TSRA Life
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.