Outdoors
Sponsored by

New gun owners

5,694 Views | 36 Replies | Last: 3 yr ago by BenderRodriguez
BenderRodriguez
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Figured we might have some lurking the OB, or some that get pointed this direction from the other boards. And someone's thread about buying their first pistol made me realize this might be needed.

So:
The world got scary and you bought your first gun.
Or you got that gun out of the closet and touched it for the 2nd time ever.

I'll teach you about proper handling, firearms safety and efficient use.

Best case you get a new hobby. Worst case you can be responsible for your own safety effectively.

Either way - Im willing to help you. I'm a longtime CHL holder, competition shooter and NRA instructor. Before life got busy with a kiddo I had a part time business teaching beginners how to safely handle firearms.

So if you now own a gun but don't know much about it, reach out to me and we can go over the basics via FaceTime on safety and use and I'll try to answer any questions you have. Shoot me a message here if you have stars, or an email to g3kcz75@gmail.com.

ETA: Just to clarify, this is a free offer. I don't want your money, I want you to be safe with your new gun.
O.G.
The value of this training can not be overemphasized.
cupofjoe04
AG
If you are a new or new'ish gun owner, I cannot stress enough- TAKE ADVANTAGE OF THIS OFFER. People pay lots of money for what you will learn. This is good bull from a good Ag. Your comfort and competency can make a life and death difference. And having a pro give you the ropes, j guarantee you will enjoy practicing with your new gun, and as a result will practice way more.

Good on ya, Bender!!!
HeadGames
AG
cutting Clutter
BenderRodriguez
AG
I mean, I'm not offering training either. Can't really do that without going to the range.

But teaching basic safety, teaching how to load/unload/check condition, giving someone an idea about a good grip/shooting stance...that's all a good start for a newbie and something I can absolutely do remotely.
BenderRodriguez
AG
Honestly I'd really rather keep this one clutter free and focused solely on getting in touch with new gun owners.

But you and anyone else should feel free to email with any questions and I'll get back to you too.
HeadGames
AG
Thanks.
HeadGames
Milwaukees Best Light
AG
Forwarded this thread to someone who fits the description in the OP. Good bull Bender.
PharmD4
AG
With the ammo shortage, figured you'd be sending out April's dry fire drills soon
O.G.
BenderRodriguez said:

I mean, I'm not offering training either. Can't really do that without going to the range.

But teaching basic safety, teaching how to load/unload/check condition, giving someone an idea about a good grip/shooting stance...that's all a good start for a newbie and something I can absolutely do remotely.
I stand corrected. Post edited.
1872walker
Nice try, ATF man. Go source your additions to the secret gun registry elsewhere.
tamc93
Aggie304
Pm sent
bam02
AG
Very cool Bender!
C4D
AG
We call this Good Bull
BigBrother
AG
Lesson 1: Never get involved in a 9mm vs. 45 discussion
Aggie304
Well I bought a 45

Do I win?
oldschool87
AG
Rules:
1. There is no such thing as an unloaded gun.
2. Confused? See Rule 1.
3. If your still confused take the gun back.
AtlAg75
AG
A Facebook live class would be awesome, you could train groups at a time.
Aggie304
Thanks for the new gun owner tips!
BenderRodriguez
AG
No problem, glad you reached out.
atm86
AG
Aggie304 said:

Well I bought a 45

Do I win?
Um, shot placement
C4D
AG
******DONT LEAVE IT IN YOUR VEHICLE*******

Aggie304
What do I really need to clean it? Too many darn cleaning kit and fluid options...

Is there one fluid that cleans and oils?

And yes, 30 years ago we just blasted it out with wd-40 and then squirted some 3-1 oil on it
BenderRodriguez
AG
It's two separate jobs, you're going to need two separate things.

The old standard is Hoppes 9 to remove lead/rust/carbon, then oil of your choice to lube.

I really like FP10 as a lubricant, but any of the gun oils will work okay. There should be a "recommended lube points" guide in your owners manual, or you can probably find one easily online for your specific gun with a little googling.
BenderRodriguez
AG
I think I've caught up with everyone that's reached out except for the guy I still owe an email on regarding range construction, so if you know any other newbs that need help send 'em my way.
Aggie304
Well Bender, finally got it to the range and like a true rookie forgot everything....

First pull of the trigger...

https://imgur.com/VgAgkpU

Alte Schule
Lesson learned. Reload and carry on.
BenderRodriguez
AG
Aggie304 said:

Well Bender, finally got it to the range and like a true rookie forgot everything....

First pull of the trigger...

https://imgur.com/VgAgkpU

Pain is an excellent teacher, especially if you don't listen to the guy who told you not to hold it like that.
Aggie304
I'll definitely never leave my thumb across the back again. What's funny is right after I fired that first shot and felt the pain and saw the blood I thought 'Bender told me that would happen"
BenderRodriguez
AG
Aggie304 said:

I'll definitely never leave my thumb across the back again. What's funny is right after I fired that first shot and felt the pain and saw the blood I thought 'Bender told me that would happen"

I'm just glad you're out shooting and improving.

Keep it up.
Aggie304
What range rounds should I be buying for my .45 XDs ?
I'm reading that some of the cheaper stuff will make your gun twice as dirty twice as fast
CowtownAg06
AG
Bender I got a 201 question for you. If this is too advanced, just tell me to come to a class sometime and I'll do it. I'm a long time rifle and shotgun shooter, but relatively new to a pistol. I'm right eye dominant and use a stance with my right foot dropped back. What I can't figure out is what to with my eyes.

I wind up closing my left like I'm shooting a rifle but that doesn't feel right and I'm not as accurate as I'd like. Problem is nothing else feels better. You have any tips?
BenderRodriguez
AG
Aggie304 said:

What range rounds should I be buying for my .45 XDs ?
I'm reading that some of the cheaper stuff will make your gun twice as dirty twice as fast

Whatever runs in it. I like to keep grain weight similar between range ammo and carry ammo (I carry 124gr defensive ammo, so I also tend to buy 124 gr practice ammo) but that's more personal preference than anything else.

Right now as long as it runs it honestly doesn't really matter. Pick up whatever FMJ is available in your area and run with it.
Page 1 of 2

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.