Outdoors
Sponsored by

Sig M400 upgrades?

9,150 Views | 31 Replies | Last: 4 yr ago by FIDO 96
cupofjoe04
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
I may have been given a Sig M400- which promptly fell into a lake. I've never had an AR- style rifle before, so I'm new to that world. School me (or give me a link to some good info) on what I need.

It has an upgraded grip which I like and think is comfortable. Also has some sort of recoil reducing stock (but it looks pretty typical to me). The hand guard is really rough on the hands- would like to change that. It has pop-up irons, but I wouldn't mind adding an affordable red dot.

What upgrades or furniture would you guys recommend? I would like to end up with a good defense gun that is fun to shoot.
CT'97
AG

Is this the rifle?

If so then I would say an optic of some sort depending on what you are going to do with it. A solid red dot would be a good option. If you are going to shoot at anything at range then a low powered scope of some sort, there are several 1-6 power options at a nice price point.

Next would be a trigger. There are several easy drop in's that would a good upgrade.

Beyond that spend money on ammo and go shoot it.
cupofjoe04
AG
Thanks!

It is the older version M400, not the new Tread.
It has a hand guard made by Troy. Only thing I don't like is it feels like it will dig into my hand. Any solutions for that other than a new guard?
*edit to add, it is a Troy Alpha Rail

FIDO 96
AG
I have that same rail

You need Troy Squid Covere

https://troyind.com/products/squid-grip-7-pack-fde
AggieMPH2005
Sling and weapon light, I like the magpul sling and inforce wml but there are many good ones to choose from. Also a drop in trigger if you feel like upgrading ( this is my favorite AR mod) and then a red dot. You didn't define your budget but Primary Arms and Voetex are good places to start. Aimpoint Pro is always a good choice regardless of budget.
BCStalk
My preferred setup until my astigmatism started causing issues. Actually have a take off set laying around the house somewhere.

cupofjoe04
AG
Thanks!

Shoot me some info on them if you are interested in parting with them. Username @ Gmail.
cupofjoe04
AG
FIDO 96 said:

I have that same rail

You need Troy Squid Covere

https://troyind.com/products/squid-grip-7-pack-fde

PERFECT! This is exactly what I need. Will be getting a set for sure.
BCStalk
https://vortexoptics.com/vortex-2019-crossfire-2-red-dot.html

https://vortexoptics.com/vortex-vmx-3t-red-dot-magnifier.html

FIDO 96
AG
Here's a Sig made red dot another OB'er posted last week. For $79 you really can't pass it up. I have one coming this week

https://lockedloaded.com/product/sig-sor72001-romeo-msr-1x20-dot-red-2moa-blk#product_detail
cupofjoe04
AG
Thanks for the recommendations everyone! I appreciate it.
BenderRodriguez
AG
Light and a red dot are the biggest things I always recommend.

If on a budget, vortex, primary arms, holosun.

surefire or streamlight for light.

Looks like someone already linked rail scales for you if you want to keep current handguard.

Should be set.
cupofjoe04
AG
BenderRodriguez said:

Light and a red dot are the biggest things I always recommend.

If on a budget, vortex, primary arms, holosun.

surefire or streamlight for light.

Looks like someone already linked rail scales for you if you want to keep current handguard.

Should be set.

Thanks so much! I was hoping you might pop in.
highvelocity
AG
Needs a can
CT'97
AG
Only other thought would be a good sling and maybe a light.
cupofjoe04
AG
She lives and breathes fire again!

Got a couple boxes down the tube today. All shots were 20-50 yards, standing offhand, iron sights. I've got some of those squid rings on order, they should help the foregrip be more comfortable. I need to find some sort of little tool to lower the front post on the MagPul front pop-up sight- it's shooting a little low. But it'll do the job for backup sights.

I've never shot AR's in earnest before, but I was pleased the groupings for offhand shooting on an unfamiliar gun. It could use a trigger upgrade, for sure. A couple fliers where I jerked the trigger trying to shoot faster and make mag changes. The lower shots were all slow and learning the trigger. The head shots were some I threw down range quickly at 50 yards, with mag changes. Any recommendations on drop in triggers?
BCStalk
CMC lives in all of my ARs. Been excellent for every application.
BenderRodriguez
AG
You know I gotta throw the Geissele recommendation in here.
CharlieBrown17
AG
BenderRodriguez said:

You know I gotta throw the Geissele recommendation in here.

Save your dollars and get the brownells "exclusive" models
dsvogel05
AG
Another vote for CMC. I've got a curved and flat trigger and prefer the curved trigger.

Larue makes one that gets good reviews but I don't have any experience with it.
gibberish
AG
Upgrade to the non-scary furniture

Brazos1865
AG
For the money, it's hard to beat the Larue or Rock River. I prefer a two-stag match, but that's a matter of application and preference.
BenderRodriguez
AG
gibberish said:

Patrolling the Mojave almost makes you wish for a nuclear winter...
cupofjoe04
AG
gibberish said:

Funny you should post that! I actually have been researching an idea to make some wooden furniture for it myself. I'm thinking more of wooden touches all around.
Lance in Round Mountain
AG
FIDO 96 said:

Here's a Sig made red dot another OB'er posted last week. For $79 you really can't pass it up. I have one coming this week

https://lockedloaded.com/product/sig-sor72001-romeo-msr-1x20-dot-red-2moa-blk#product_detail
I ordered one as well. Thanks for the link.
jpb1999
AG
FIDO 96 said:

So is that cowitness or 1/3? I can't find where it says anything about it.
AgEng06
AG
Hey Joe - not to derail this thread here, but I tried sending you a PM and it said you "aren't a valid subscriber". If you don't mind, can you shoot me an email at
NRH ag 10
AG
cupofjoe04 said:

I need to find some sort of little tool to lower the front post on the MagPul front pop-up sight- it's shooting a little low. But it'll do the job for backup sights.

I've never shot AR's in earnest before, but I was pleased the groupings for offhand shooting on an unfamiliar gun. It could use a trigger upgrade, for sure. A couple fliers where I jerked the trigger trying to shoot faster and make mag changes. The lower shots were all slow and learning the trigger. The head shots were some I threw down range quickly at 50 yards, with mag changes. Any recommendations on drop in triggers?
If it's the standard AR front sight setup (little detent that locks into the front sight post) you can use a small punch to push down the detent and adjust the sight. Not as easy as the actual tool, but a lot of use probably have a small punch laying around.

After having both, I prefer a good 1-N power scope to a red dot, you don't lose much/anything for up close speed except when shooting from awkward positions, and it is easier to make hits and hold (with a good reticle) at distance.
cupofjoe04
AG
AgEng06 said:

Hey Joe - not to derail this thread here, but I tried sending you a PM and it said you "aren't a valid subscriber". If you don't mind, can you shoot me an email at aggieeng06 at gmail?

Yeah, I dumped my subscription for the time. Belt tightening and all. Most annoying part of the free account is not having notifications.

I'll send you and email pronto
cupofjoe04
AG
NRH ag 10 said:

cupofjoe04 said:

I need to find some sort of little tool to lower the front post on the MagPul front pop-up sight- it's shooting a little low. But it'll do the job for backup sights.

If it's the standard AR front sight setup (little detent that locks into the front sight post) you can use a small punch to push down the detent and adjust the sight. Not as easy as the actual tool, but a lot of use probably have a small punch laying around.

After having both, I prefer a good 1-N power scope to a red dot, you don't lose much/anything for up close speed except when shooting from awkward positions, and it is easier to make hits and hold (with a good reticle) at distance.

Thanks for the tips! I do have a punch, and will try that.
AgEng06
AG
Thanks man
BenderRodriguez
AG
NRH ag 10 said:

A loose 5.56 round works okay too.

I can't remember if the magpul flip ups adjust similarly or not, it's been a while since I messed with them.
FIDO 96
AG
jpb1999 said:

FIDO 96 said:

So is that cowitness or 1/3? I can't find where it says anything about it.

It's on a build without any BUIS. I'll try and get an answer over the weekend
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.