Outdoors
Sponsored by

Ice fishing.

4,621 Views | 35 Replies | Last: 4 yr ago by AggieChemist
BradMtn346
How long do you want to ignore this user?
So most of the areas around here are closed to lion hunting, so now we ice fish. A couple of buddies came over this weekend. We hammered the yellow perch, which are small but very abundant in our local reservoir.

Day 1

Each of us. Perch and crappie.

Day 2

Day 3
Well, we were tired, so we sat around drinking coffee. The fellas left. I wandered down to the reservoir to see how our Airbnb guests were doing. They had a good morning but were packing up.

I decided to do some exploring. Poor time of the day. If I found fish willing to bite, might be worth recording.

I tried a couple of spots. Nothing. Got a hint of a fish on the east side of the channel, so I set down. The first 2 were slow, then the school showed up and I didn't get 30 seconds with bait without a bite for the 3 hours.

My son eventually came down and joined me for a bit. He caught the biggest catfish.

It was a long night of filleting. But worth it.

Today's totals.

AggieChemist
AG
Not much better eating than yellow perch. I think they're better than crappie, even.

Post removed:
by user
AggieChemist
AG
I fried up my perch with homemade tater chips and brewskis

BurrOak
AG
jayelbee said:

I'm headed up to MN from Texas to go ice fishing soon, so I'd appreciate any tips or recommendations on what to pack and how to prepare.
I did this about 5 years ago, fished near the Brainerd area. It was -18 the day we fished. Take multiple pairs of thick, warm socks. Standing on the ice all day will make for cold feet.

Also, whiskey.
AggieChemist
AG
And Yaktrax on the ice, unless there is a good snow cover.
Post removed:
by user
AggieChemist
AG
jayelbee said:

Thanks for the tip on yaktrax. I was considering packing my wading boots and screwing the studs into the soles for traction, but they aren't my most comfortable pair of boots.

I have a few pairs of wool socks, but I have no way of telling if that will hold up for me in those temps.
I can't imagine how a native texan is going to enjoy ice fishing. Those kind of temps take some getting acclimated to. I can go outside in my boxers, barefoot in an inch of snow to piss off the deck when it's 20 degrees. To go from TX to MN just sounds crazy unless you've got a heated shelter to fish out of, in which case you'll be more than fine.
fightingfarmer09
I don't get it. Do you fry up the bait so you can catch the real fish?
matthewj042
AG
Looks fun! I'd love to try that one day
matthewj042@gmail.com
Post removed:
by user
AggieChemist
AG
jayelbee said:

We'll have a heated shelter, but we'll also be mobile as necessary to chase the fish. Forecast is still outside the 10 day, but if it were to hold we'd be looking at roughly 20-35 as the temp range which I'm good with before factoring in any wind. If a front starts looking like it's going to move in, that will probably go to -25 to -5 temperature range and then who knows how I'll fare. If that were to happen I might take my neoprene duck hunting waders and deal with the sweat and stank, but layering gets tricky at that point.
Great thing about neoprene is it'll keep your piss warm for quite a while, so just layer up and piss in your waders.
Duncan Idaho
I was up in MSP last winter. The "shanties" could put deer camps to shame. Some of the ones I saw were 2-400 sq ft, heated, powered and wired for internet and satellite.

Basically everything awesome about a deer camp just 15mins from your house.
FirefightAg
AG
That's awesome. An ice fishing trip sits at the top of my outdoor bucket list.
BradMtn346
jayelbee said:

I'm headed up to MN from Texas to go ice fishing soon, so I'd appreciate any tips or recommendations on what to pack and how to prepare.

MN is cold and humid. I don't do humid cold. Take all the clothes you own. Pray you are fishing out of a heated hut.

Seriously, if you are standing on the ice, a small piece of carpet can really help.
PA24
AG
Traveled North Dakota back n the day and saw cars parked on the lake.....

Always wanted to ice fish or catch walleye but afraid I would pick of that odd accent.
Bird Poo
AG
Been going to Sylvan Lake in CO for years. Limit on rainbows and brookies every time. Great time drinking scotch on the ice.

Pop up deer blinds work great if it's windy or snowing. You can fit several men in one with lawnchairs and poles. I highly recommend it!
GSPag`
Yellow perch is so good. Different flavor and texture. Gut and scale and cook whole. Like a brook.
GSPag`
Yellow perch is so good. Different flavor and texture. Gut and scale and cook whole. Like a brook.
snowaggie
AggieChemist said:

jayelbee said:

Thanks for the tip on yaktrax. I was considering packing my wading boots and screwing the studs into the soles for traction, but they aren't my most comfortable pair of boots.

I have a few pairs of wool socks, but I have no way of telling if that will hold up for me in those temps.
I can't imagine how a native texan is going to enjoy ice fishing. Those kind of temps take some getting acclimated to. I can go outside in my boxers, barefoot in an inch of snow to piss off the deck when it's 20 degrees. To go from TX to MN just sounds crazy unless you've got a heated shelter to fish out of, in which case you'll be more than fine.
Seems counter-intuitive, but the surest way to keep your feet warm is to not wrap them in multiple layers of socks. This leads to too tight an environment in your boot, which is the kiss of death. I always do well with one layer of a good quality wool sock, and a boot at least a size larger than your normal shoe. (Edit: User name checks out.)
Max Power
AG
Did you ice fish like McConaughey, from the back of a Lincoln?
Slamn Sharpe
Pretty cool way to fish. No ice chest for the beer
AggieChemist
AG
You do sometimes need a cooler to keep your beers from freezing. That's why I usually pack light and just take a fifth.
Bird Poo
AG
Ski clothes and snow boots work just fine.
BradMtn346
I guess I'm just a glutton for punishment. I spent all day fishing at Crawford. I know better. If I spend all day there, hours of filleting will follow. Actually 4.5 hours of filleting.

PA24
AG
Keep dry and u will be fine.

First time I went to ND, temp was -25 and with the wind chill -55.

Dressed like the Michelan man but in no time was shedding clothes.

Seeing cars parked on large bodies of water fishing looked like East Texas with ice,

I think ice fishing would be a lot of fun.
SteveBott
AG
Brad on those yellow perch do you ever do what was already posted and just gut, scale and fry/bake?

That's what we did when I was a kid and with granddaddy

Edit: emoji fail
BradMtn346
SteveBott said:

Brad on those yellow perch do you ever do what was already posted and just gut, scale and fry/bake?

That's what we did when I was a kid and with granddaddy

Edit: emoji fail

I taught my son to do this with some green sunfish he caught out of one of our farm ponds, and I can say with confidence that it would take me 3 times as long to get them cleaned. That is the biggest reason. The next is that my wife loves fish, but hates dealing with the bones. If filleting makes mama happy, filleted it is.
bmac_aggie18
AG
Did any of the fish go bad since you didn't have an ice cold cooler to put them in?
BradMtn346
bmac_aggie18 said:

Did any of the fish go bad since you didn't have an ice cold cooler to put them in?

It was a warm day. Some of them were thawed when we got home.
SteveBott
AG
Thanks. We grew up scraping pan fish bones. Just the way it was. At that age it was expected to know how to do that. Now?

Kids would be lost and choke.
BradMtn346
SteveBott said:

Thanks. We grew up scraping pan fish bones. Just the way it was. At that age it was expected to know how to do that. Now?

Kids would be lost and choke.

Like I said, my son has it figured out.
Col. Steve Austin
AG
Ubitag said:

Keep dry and u will be fine.

First time I went to ND, temp was -25 and with the wind chill -55.

Dressed like the Michelan man but in no time was shedding clothes.

Seeing cars parked on large bodies of water fishing looked like East Texas with ice,

I think ice fishing would be a lot of fun.
Sometimes, they don't make to their parking spot.

El Chupacabra
Went ice fishing for the first time this past weekend in Montana. Got skunked. Still had fun.
rather be fishing
AG
I've been assured that if we get enough ice up here, I'll be shown the ins and outs of ice fishing. We've been in the 40s every day for the last week, so maybe February, or most likely next year.
Page 1 of 2

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.