Outdoors
Sponsored by

HAM Radio Technician License

1,102 Views | 5 Replies | Last: 4 yr ago by Bregxit
normaleagle05
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
For a variety of reasons I think I'd like to get my Technician's license. There is a local club in Garland (blocks from my office) offering an inexpensive course starting 2/18. It's two hours every Tuesday for five weeks.

Any good reason to do this elsewhere and not through the local club?
Anybody else want to give it a go?
BQ88
AG
Have my general license. I went through hamradiolicenseexam.com

Got both tech and general through them. Really easy format for learning.

The advantage to the live classes is meeting experienced ham operators and new ones.

I wish you the best with this. It's a very diverse hobby.
AlexAggie
AG
Agreed. I got to my general through the same website. The test is not hard if you study for a week or so, but don't discount the other thing about meeting other hams. I got my license but haven't really used it much since all I have found on the air around here is rag chewing with old men *****ing about health problems.
normaleagle05
AG
BQ88 said:

The advantage to the live classes is meeting experienced ham operators and new ones.

I'm no stranger to passing scary, low pass rate, professional exams on the strength of my own study.

Meeting local folks is a primary goal.

Thanks for the response.
Brahma
A great study tool I found was the ham radio exam app for iPhone. It has the tests and answers word for word. It also lets you study several different ways. I started just by looking at the right answers then I would go section by section. Finally, it lets you take practice tests and it's formatted just like the real deal. If you have an iPhone just search "Ham radio exam" in the App Store. I'm not sure if it's on the google play store for android though. Good luck! Hopefully we will hear you on the air soon!
reddog90
AG
normaleagle05 said:

For a variety of reasons I think I'd like to get my Technician's license. There is a local club in Garland (blocks from my office) offering an inexpensive course starting 2/18. It's two hours every Tuesday for five weeks.

https://www.amazon.com/2018-2022-Technician-Class-Gordon-West/dp/0945053908/ref=sr_1_2?qid=1579617400&refinements=p_27%3AGordon+West&s=books&sr=1-2&text=Gordon+West

Some people pass just by taking practice tests on the app and memorizing the answers. I'm personally reading this book because I actually want to learn some of the material. No way I have time for a 2 hr class once a week. Currently my only reason for interest is trail comms so ymmv.
Bregxit
AG
reddog90 said:

normaleagle05 said:

https://www.amazon.com/2018-2022-Technician-Class-Gordon-West/dp/0945053908/ref=sr_1_2?qid=1579617400&refinements=p_27%3AGordon+West&s=books&sr=1-2&text=Gordon+West

Some people pass just by taking practice tests on the app and memorizing the answers. I'm personally reading this book because I actually want to learn some of the material. No way I have time for a 2 hr class once a week. Currently my only reason for interest is trail comms so ymmv.

Gordon's books are excellent. I used them to get through my Extra license. Read them, did practice tests, read them again, rinse repeat until I was ready. His explanation of things help you see the practical side of the theory which helped me understand better what I was learning rather than just going on rote memorization.
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.