Outdoors
Sponsored by

14er and HAM Radios

1,672 Views | 11 Replies | Last: 4 yr ago by cupofjoe04
ag09
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Question for the OB. I intend to hike my first 14er this summer, specifically, Mt. Princeton. It's one of the easier 14ers and my in-laws cabin is at 9k ft, also on Mt. Princeton.

I don't know what kind of cell service I'll have and want to be able to get a hold of someone just in case. Hence, the search for a two-way radio.

From what I understand, family radios and CB radios may not reach that far down the mountain. Is a HAM radio, like a Baofeng, and a technician license, overkill for a single hike? Would it even work for what I'm trying to accomplish? Is there a better solution?

My goal would be to have one radio with me on the mountain and another at the cabin.

TIA
Aggietaco
AG
Garmin inReach or Spot PLB may be easier options.

https://www.rei.com/c/plbs-and-satellite-messengers?sort=min-price
OverSeas AG
AG
Every knee shall bow and every tongue shall confess
ccard257
AG
Just get a spot plan if you feel the need in case SHTF. The odds that you will be alone on that mountain and can't enlist the help of others are very low.
AllTheFishes
AG
Aggietaco said:

Garmin inReach or Spot PLB may be easier options.

https://www.rei.com/c/plbs-and-satellite-messengers?sort=min-price

The Garmin inReach is the best thing on the market right now.
rednecked
AG
ccard257 said:

Just get a spot plan if you feel the need in case SHTF. The odds that you will be alone on that mountain and can't enlist the help of others are very low.
this. Most 14ers are always crowded.
stdeb11
AG
There will be a zillion other people out on the mountain if something goes wrong.

And if you will be out solo somewhere remote an InReach would be much easier to communicate with family and search and rescue in the event of an emergency.
SunrayAg
AG
Leave early in the morning. The daily lightning storms start about 2:30 pm...
ag09
AG
Thank you for the info
TailG8TR
AG
Here is an article about a situation on a nearby peak which brings up the use of an App that might be of use to you.

GPS App on Mt Belford
TailG8TR
AG
Here is some good beta on Mt Princeton in general as well as some good photos and climb logs.....

Mt Princeton beta

But more directly to your question....here are first hand reports on the cell phone service on Mt Princeton....

Mt Princeton Cell Reception

Mt Princeton and the whole Collegiate Range are my view immediately to the west from my place here.
TailG8TR
AG
One additional thought.

Worst case stuff - Chaffee County Search and Rescue is a good bunch and will respond and not pass along costs to you. Nobody gets charged for SAR operations unless you are doing something illegal or obviously negligent.

IF - However - you should need a medivac Flight For Life copter or some such - you would incur costs for the medical services just like for an ambulance.

Unless you are covered by something like this .. "If you're looking for a nationwide program, check out the American Alpine Club's domestic rescue benefit that reimburses members up to $5,000 if they're charged for a SAR recovery or similar service. Another option is to purchase a SPOT satellite text messenger ($169.95 MSRP), which comes with an insurance plan worth $100,000 in SAR insurance with an annual subscription."

SPOT is a good deal.

More info in the article linked below.

The cost of being extricated from the Backcountry
cupofjoe04
AG
Garmin InReach

I got one when I moved to CO, it goes on every hike with me. I chose it over the SPOT because of the 2 way messaging. I use the texting feature to communicate with my wife periodically on my excursions, and the cost is well worth the peace of mind for both of us.
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.