Outdoors
Sponsored by

Non Religious Summer camps in Texas

25,372 Views | 68 Replies | Last: 4 yr ago by DE4D
GeorgiAg
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
I went to Baptist Summer Camp, met my GF, and sinned like a mofo for the next two years.

YellAgs
AG
El Tesoro near Granbury
NoahAg
Cool documentary about a camp I went to.

duddleysdraw88
AG
My kids loved every year they were at Camp Longhorn. Not a lot of flashy amenities, just a true outdoor activity summer camp. No phones and no electronics (at least back then) primitive style open air cabins and lots of interaction among all of the campers. Never a dull moment.

Both my wife and I said that we wish we would have gone there when we were kids.

www.camplonghorm.com
badbilly
AG
Boy Scouts
coastalaggie
AG
Hewey Calloway said:

Dang the only "camp" I got to do as a kid was VBS at the local baptist church.
Same here and our group even got sent home early because we would skip tabernacle and go fishing.
Fair Winds and Following Seas
RNAggie
AG
I went to Camp Longhorn as a camper and now go as one of the nurses. My kids are on their 2nd year and its still the same as it was when I was a camper.

no electricity in the cabins, lots of outdoors activities, no TV/Internet/Phones for the campers

We love it!
ThunderCougarFalconBird
AG
Bo Darville said:

FSGuide said:

Camp Longhorn in between Burnet and Kingsland

Went as kids. Never realized until I got older how much money my parents wasted on us.
a week without kids is worth a LOT of money. Just saying.
Aggietaco
AG
blindey said:

Bo Darville said:

FSGuide said:

Camp Longhorn in between Burnet and Kingsland

Went as kids. Never realized until I got older how much money my parents wasted on us.
a week without kids is worth a LOT of money. Just saying.
That's what "summer camp" at each set of grand parents is for. 2 weeks for the price of some whiskey or wine.
ThunderCougarFalconBird
AG
For some money, it could mean a third week of "summer camp" too.
B-1 83
AG
rangelady said:

Texas Section Society for Range Management Youth Range Workshop. The Texas Brigades. High school age kids. Great for outdoorsy kids!
One of the few times I've known you to not say enough.....

How old is the child? There is a Buckskin Brigade and Bobwhite Brigade camp that teaches terrific wildlife management, habitat, and biology.
JD05AG
AG
Get them a job
JeremiahJohnson
AG
I spent 13 years at Camp La Junta. It is far and away the best thing to happen to me as a kid. Taught me to be a man.
Sports camp based on competition and horseback riding. But not too much if your kid is un-athletic
Rode horses
Learned to Scuba Dive
Shoot guns
Water Ski
Sail
Kayaked and canoed the Guadalupe every day
Learned to Weld
Rock Climbed
I could go on forever. Let me know if you have any questions.
When My kids are of age they will be going too!

For girls, Mystic and Waldemar. I have a friend that runs Waldemar.

https://www.lajunta.com/
O.G.
GeorgiAg said:

I went to Baptist Summer Camp, met my GF, and sinned like a mofo for the next two years.

This.....As a young Baptist, I found Jesus at camp. Later I found Anne....and well.....you know.
GeorgiAg
AG
Also, we determined that skipping Sunday School was the best time to have a private prayer meetin'.

Gonna have to answer for that one someday. But boy, did I luuuv Sundays.
Maroon Saloon
Texas Brigades Youth Leadership Development program. I worked with the Brigades program for 13 years. GREAT program and your kid will learn more in 5 days than I ever did in a semester long wildlife management course at A&M. Couple posters have mentioned Brigades above. It's not just a camp to sit back and lazily enjoy the week. Cadets (as they are called) will be pushed to excel and build confidence. The change as the week progresses for these kids is truly amazing as they go from often shy, soft spoken to confident young adults.

https://www.texasbrigades.org/
Missouri Boat Ride
AG
we've had good experience with Pine Cove, between La Grange and Columbus on 71.
ATXAdvisor
AG
Friend of mine runs the Kidsventure Camps, including the overnight camp in Hunt during the summer. Great people and both of my kids really enjoyed their experiences.
raidernarizona
I believe you mean 4-weeks.
BrazosDog02
AG
country said:

4H camp in Brownwood.

This. Best memory and learning experience was on the canoes. We had a kid in our group that was a bit of a pushy bully. When it came time to flip the canoe he turned into a crying chicken ***** Great life lesson that stuck with me about a lot of people I've met like him.

Bottlerocket
AG
I went to longhorn as a camper and counselor. While not a "religious" camp, there are lots religious activities including church mountain on Sunday nights (a hike and prayer songs) as well as closing each campfire with a simple song with Christian overtones. Plus, counselors are free to evangelize to to campers if they want to.

I liked all this. Just wanted to provide some clarification for the OP
CG Victory
JeremiahJohnson
AG
That's for the month. I started going at 6 alone and was a camper until I was 14. Then counselor after that.

Still keep in touch with a ton of the guys I grew up with there.
Dogdoc
AG
Sea Camp at TAMU Galveston.
AgySkeet06
AG
If you have a daughter, my gf and her mom work at Camp Honey Creek outside Hunt, Tx in the summer. They are in charge of the bb/riflery/pistol program there.
Its a nice place with lots of activities and there are week long to month long terms you can sign up for
909Ag2006
AG
Second for Herman Sons Camp. Great camp at a cost my parents could actually afford as a kid.
"They weren't raiding a Girl Scout troop looking for overdue library books."
AgDad121619
AG
raidernarizona said:

Son or daughter?

I'm the director at Camp Rio Vista for boys between Ingram and Hunt. Love to chat with you about our program or show you around sometime.
. All 3 of my boys worked at Rio Vista - my oldest was asst program director 7 years ago. Great program with a sports theme - and plenty of water sports in the river
raidernarizona
Hey AgDad! This coming summer will be my 7th as the director, so I may have missed your son by just a bit but I have a good guess as to who it was. Special place for sure!
AgDad121619
AG
raidernarizona said:

Hey AgDad! This coming summer will be my 7th as the director, so I may have missed your son by just a bit but I have a good guess as to who it was. Special place for sure!

Matt, Kyle, and Thomas (CIT for few weeks) - they loved their time as counselors - all Eagle Scouts as well.
wheelz
AG
Is there no hunting & fishing camp for kids? I would've loved this.
Cancelled
AG
drevans956 said:

If you don't want your kids to receive a positive religious experience you might as well send them to an inner city gang den or a county meth lab!

I'd rather my kids have a good time and enjoy nature. It doesn't need to be a religious based camp to instill values of morality and justice and for them to have a good time. Of course, I wouldn't object to my kids going to a religious based camp either. However, I loathed VBS and couldn't imagine anything much worse than sitting around a camp fire talking about how much I sin.
Senator Blutarski
AG
I was in the archery section of Cabela's a while back, and they had a whole mess of pamphlets on different hunting and fishing camps that are run by third parties around the state but co-branded and marketed by Cabela's.
raidernarizona
Yes sir! I met Matt at A&M a few years back. Great young man! Heard great things about all of them.

The Y.O. Ranch used to run a hunting camp when I was growing up. Change of ownership since then, so not sure if it's still going. But those options are out there and sound awesome to me too!
DE4D
AG
Space Camp - NASA
Refresh
Page 2 of 2

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.