Outdoors
Sponsored by

Non Religious Summer camps in Texas

25,349 Views | 68 Replies | Last: 4 yr ago by DE4D
Texasyankee
How long do you want to ignore this user?
Howdy all,
The title says it all.

I am looking for recommendations for summer camps for my child that aren't going to push a religious agenda. Looking specifically for week long summer camps that will be fun and exciting for my child.

Please be nice, I am not looking to get into a debate.

Thanks so much.
aggiedent
AG
Indoctrinate is an awfully strong word that does not apply to most "religious" affiliated camps.
AggieStan
Camp Allen
FSGuide
Camp Longhorn in between Burnet and Kingsland
Joe Exotic
AG
FSGuide said:

Went as kids. Never realized until I got older how much money my parents wasted on us.
A.G.S.
AG

I truly hope you find something rewarding for your kids to do over the summer, and I wish I could give some suggestions, but all of the summer camps I went to were sponsored by religious institutions.

The Non-Denominational ones had the most activities, but the Pentecostal one gave me the best memories.

country
AG
4H camp in Brownwood.
Texasyankee
Thanks A.G.S. for the advice, post has been edited.
Apache
AG
Hermann Sons in Comfort?
I went as a kid, not sure if it is still around.
We rode horses, built rockets, went canoeing, took an "outdoor living skills" class that was sort of a survival class. Plus all sorts of sports.
zooguy96
Rooks don't know OB protocol.
A.G.S.
AG
clementback said:

Thanks for the advice, post has been edited.
Anytime. I'll edit mine as well.

Welcome to the OB.
lexofer
AG
Apache said:

Hermann Sons in Comfort?
We rode horses, built rockets, went canoeing, took an "outdoor living skills" class that was sort of a survival class. Plus all sorts of sports.
Still there and is much cheaper than a lot of the other camps in the area.
Mookie
AG
Camp champions in marble falls.
zooguy96
When I worked at zoos, we had summer camps. Might look into your local zoo, aquarium, etc.
Dirty-8-thirty Ag
AG
I second 4-H Camp in Brownwood.

Primetime (younger kids) or Spectra (older kids) depending on how old your kids are. I met lifelong friends at both camps, we still keep in touch quite regularly to this day. I thought the dances every night were the greatest thing in the world when I was in Junior High.
Hewey Calloway
AG
Dang the only "camp" I got to do as a kid was VBS at the local baptist church.
Sooper Jeenyus
AG
country said:

4H camp in Brownwood.
Username checks out.

Might look at the camps around Ingram/Hunt.
BourbonAg
AG
+1 for Camp Champions
raidernarizona
Son or daughter?

I'm the director at Camp Rio Vista for boys between Ingram and Hunt. Love to chat with you about our program or show you around sometime.
nickstro66
AG
You could look into various youth sports camps put on by colleges. I know A&M offers a few multi-day sports camps if that is something your kid would be interested in.
texag_89
FSGuide said:

Ding, ding, ding!!

This one is as relative and secular as you can get.... No Truth here except the Religion of Relativism.

Good luck!

BanderaAg956
If you don't want your kids to receive a positive religious experience you might as well send them to an inner city gang den or a county meth lab!
Liberals are Damn Liars! Terminate Section 230! It has been ONLY 72!hours since my last banning for defending my conservative values against liberal snowflake cupcakes and the LIBERAL Mod’s that protect them! Fairness is a myth! Stop trying to silence us! Decent LAW ABIDING HUMAN BEINGS MATTER and so do our voices. When you protect the wicked, the Anarchist, the deviant, you become One of them!

ALL LIVES MATTER - I support police and motorcycle riders. Patriot Gun Owners Unite!
Ag 11
AG
A&M Football Camp
Sgt. Hartman
AG
Maybe something on the Devil's River?
JonSnow
My daughters love Camp Longhorn. It is expensive and has absolutely no amenities. Thank goodness my oldest will be a counselor this year
rangelady
AG
Texas Section Society for Range Management Youth Range Workshop. The Texas Brigades. High school age kids. Great for outdoorsy kids!
Unemployed
AG
drevans956 said:

If you don't want your kids to receive a positive religious experience you might as well send them to an inner city gang den or a county meth lab!
You're an idiot.
coastalaggie
AG
I 2nd Hermann Sons in Comfort as well. Our kids have been going there since they were old enough to go. My son is thinking about going back and being a "Jr. Counselor", or whatever they call it now that he is too old to go.
Fair Winds and Following Seas
$240 Worth of Pudding
AG
drevans956 said:

And this is followed up, without any sense of irony, by a signature bemoaning snowflakes.
HarleySpoon
AG
Camp Brave Trails https://www.bravetrails.org/

100yearlegacy
AG
Apache said:

Hermann Sons in Comfort?
That's where I went too, same with my dad and aunts. The boy's Hilltop camps sits on my family's original plot of land. Loved that place...and the rocketry class!
Apache
AG
I'm going to look into it. My mom went in the early 60's & I went in the mid/80's.
It would be pretty cool to have a 3rd generation go.

aggolfer
AG
Band camp?
Canyon99
Kamp Kikakee
TOM-M
drevans956 said:

16 years ago we sent our then high school aged son and his younger brother for another year (after several) of "positive religious experience" at a local Christian summer camp.

Soon after we picked them up, CPS called. After a few days and rounds of interviews, the "case", resulting from a report instigated by my son's camp counselor/bearer of false witness, was dropped for the absolute bull**** it was.

Things may have changed since then at that camp (and it's a big one), but to this day I wouldn't recommend it to my worst enemy. All said and done, whatever "positive religious experience" my son may have had during that last camp visit was most definitely undone by none other than the camp itself.

Maybe, someday, I'll muster up the capacity to forgive them.

Parent, beware. Wherever you send your kid.
Page 1 of 2

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.