Outdoors
Sponsored by

WTB 2.5hp has outboard motor

1,079 Views | 11 Replies | Last: 4 yr ago by HumpitPuryear
Lonestar_Ag09
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
I have a 12' John boat I worked with an electric trolling motor last year and I'd like to get a small gas outboard to move me a little faster to be able to reach more of the lake.

SanAntoneAg
AG
I have a 14' Grumman flatbottom that's been sitting in the backyard for 15 years. Not to derail your thread, but do you think it could handle a 9.9 HP?
Gig 'em! '90
Lonestar_Ag09
AG
Are you saying can yours do a 9.9 or can mine?

Mine is rated for up to a 7hp. I'd think a 14' like yours could do a 9.9 though
SanAntoneAg
AG
Yes, was asking if you had knowledge on mine. Thanks for the response.
Gig 'em! '90
Lonestar_Ag09
AG
Coast guard tag on the transom should give you a Max hp and weight rating.
SanAntoneAg
tbone421998
AG
Should be able t run a 9.9. My dad had a 14' semi-V aluminum that we ran with 9.9 growing up. No problems at all.
MouthBQ98
AG
Depends on hull width. 42? 48? 54?

There's a company that makes inexpensive outboards in the 1-3Hp range. I'll look it up tonight and post it
matthopp
AG
I have an old one (maybe circa 1970s) that you can have, its in my garage near downtown Houston. Worked the last time I used it, but that was probably 20yrs ago.
rilloaggie
AG
If OP doesn't take you up on the offer I'd be happy to take the motor off your hands!
A.G.S.
AG
I had a late 60's 9.9 on my 12' flat bottom a while back.

It handled it just fine (when the motor was running anyway).
Lonestar_Ag09
AG
Free always works
HumpitPuryear
AG
I have a Coleman 2.6 that I was going to rebuild. It starts and runs fine in N but bogs under load. It probably needs new or rebuilt carb. Decals have peeled off the engine cover. I don't really need the motor. I recently bought a Suzuki 2.5 long shaft to replace it. The Coleman is $650 on Amazon. I would take $200 for it. It's located on Lake LBJ near Kingsland.

If you end up buying new I really like the Suzuki. Very quiet motor. I like the Tohatsu also. I also have a 6hp Tohatsu that's a good little motor. The little Honda 2.3 is an interesting little motor. No impeller or transmission. It has a centrifugal clutch in it. Basically a weedeater with a prop. It's very loud which is why I went with the Suzuki. Got my Suzuki through onlineoutboards.com.
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.