Outdoors
Sponsored by

42" gas line questions

13,085 Views | 177 Replies | Last: 4 yr ago by ttha_aggie_09
Bradley.Kohr.II
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
So, there's a big fight over the Kinder Morgen pipeline in Gillespie county. I want to ensure I understand a few things correctly.

I BELIEVE I was told:

A) These are much higher pressure, and any crack causes a catastrophic failure.

B) Any cracks, detected by the monitors, will propagate faster than the pipeline can be shut down.

C) Any leak would, essentially, kill everything for a 3000' radius. (I was told 1% survival rate, with protection).

D) The steel is very dependent on its epoxy coating - such that, if Jackass tries to tap it, scratches off the coating, before giving up, and reburying it, it would corrode, and eventually fail.
KaneIsAble
AG
There are 1000s of miles of 42" pipe in the US. Just because it's a larger OD doesn't mean it's flowing at a higher pressure. You need to see a flange class and pipe wall thickness and yield to estimate what the MAOP would be.
CharlieBrown17
AG
KaneIsAble said:

There are 1000s of miles of 42" pipe in the US. Just because it's a larger OD doesn't mean it's flowing at a higher pressure. You need to see a flange class and pipe wall thickness and yield to estimate what the MAOP would be.

Hell if anything, I'd assume the opposite for a larger OD
Bradley.Kohr.II
AG
One fellow told me 14,400 the other said 1,400.

Both said conventional pipelines were 700-800

They both said they could only cut the gas every 60 miles
ttha_aggie_09
AG
Bradley.Kohr.II said:

So, there's a big fight over it in Gillespie county. I want to ensure I understand a few things correctly.

I BELIEVE I was told:

A) These are much higher pressure, and any crack causes a catastrophic failure. there are several types of cracks known to occur on pipelines, rarely are they catastrophic, and most are monitored via in line inspection tools that specifically look for the possibility of cracking (SCC/SSC/etc.)

B) Any cracks, detected by the monitors, will propagate faster than the pipeline can be shut down.if you were to have a ductile crack suddenly form and rupture, the result would likely be catastrophic. The monitoring equipment and regulations by PHMSA mitigate the remaining threats from other types of cracking

C) Any leak would, essentially, kill everything for a 3000' radius. (I was told 1% survival rate, with protection).This sounds very inflated but it the PIR is calculated based on the MAOP/MOP of the line, the flow rate, and hypothetical rupture sizes. If the pipeline were to rupture and an ignition sources were to be present, assuming this is a natural gas line, it would be catastrophic. One of the biggest threats for pipelines is 3rd party damage...

D) The steel is very dependent on its epoxy coating - such that, if Jackass tries to tap it, scratches off the coating, before giving up, and reburying it, it would corrode, and eventually fail.
Is this a crude line? Otherwise an illegal tap is extremely unlikely and would probably be picked up during an aerial patrol or ROW inspection. The type of coating is likely Fusion Bonded Epoxy (FBE) which is an excellent coating but if a small holiday occurs and the catholic protection system is compromised or you have some sort of interference with AC currents, it can cause localized accelerated corrosion. Most of the time these are found during CP surveys or ILI inspections.
Bradley.Kohr.II
AG
according to rumor, illegal gas line taps were pretty common in S TX
ttha_aggie_09
AG
Bradley.Kohr.II said:

1440 is likely what they told you. The "conventional" pipelines you're referring to likely have the same capability to operate at an ANSI 600 but have an established lower MOP/MAOP. If the line has an MAOP/MOP of 1440, it was engineered to operate at a much higher pressure and 1440 is way below that threshold.
ttha_aggie_09
AG
Bradley.Kohr.II said:

according to rumor, illegal gas line taps were pretty common in S TX
Maybe on a small gathering, flow, or trunk line that is not regulated by the state/PHMSA. A 42" pipeline will be regulated and this will not be an issue.
HouAggie2007
Without knowing anything about this particular line I can guarantee you that the pressure is no 14,400 psi. 1440 is more likely and in line with a standard pressure class for onshore pipelines.

15k pressures outside of processing are only found on deep water wells, primary in the GoM but starting to appear in other fringe subsea locations
Ragoo
AG
Bradley.Kohr.II said:

there is no way the pressure is 14,000 psi at 42" OD.

42" OD at 1440 MAWP is approximately 1.75" wall thickness. That is a lot of steel and most likely the install.
N8Dawg05
AG
The statement about cracks to me is a pretty extreme exaggeration. Yes, cracks are bad and will cause leaks, but they aren't by themselves going to make the pipe unzip and spontaneously release all it's contents. Something has to cause the cracks and it has to be a method that is prone to propagation. Stress corrosion causes cracks but natural gas is (I think) unlikely to cause that. Stress can also cause cracking, but that is usually related to mechanical issues such as vibration or poor pipe alignment during construction. None of these strike me as immediate or even likely failure mechanisms in a natural gas pipeline.

The pipeline will be built to code, most likely one of the ASME piping code (search for ASME B31.3 if you want to educate yourself). ASME code requires testing of newly constructed piping to verify performance prior to placing it into full time service. Both non-destructive techniques, such as pipe mill reports, welding certifications, x-rays, and (most importantly) live testing are used to mechanically verify the pipe. Live testing usually involves filling the pipe with water and pressurizing it to 1.5x the maximum expected operating pressure to ensure it's ok. This test will Intentionally stress any potential weak points and cause them to fail.

The part about the epoxy coating is again somewhat exaggerated. Yes, the epoxy coating protects against corrosion, but damage to the coating does not mean instantaneous total pipeline rupture. The pipeline will corrode where the coating is damaged, but that takes time, possibly even decades to reach a failure point. Pipelines like this are required to undergo periodic inspection, likely with smart tools as previously mentioned which can not only detect the thinning wall, but record it's exact location. The pipeline operator will then repair it if they are approaching minimum required thickness. Corrosion failures start as pinholes, which again will not make the pipe unzip and fail catastrophically.

Lastly, transportation pipelines like this frequently track product in and out because leaks are not only an issue from a safety and environmental standpoint, but losing product you paid good money to pull out of the ground, compress, and put in a pipeline gets real expensive long before it ever becomes hazardous to the general public.

Unless they were building the pipeline right under my house, I probably wouldn't personally lose any sleep about either the pressure or the size of the pipeline. I probably wouldn't lose much sleep about that pipeline even being on my own property, but that's me and based on nearly 15 years working in the chemical industry.
Ragoo
AG
It is more likely B31.8 and regulated by DOT.
SanAntoneAg
AG
It's all fun and games until the inevitable happens.

https://www.google.com/amp/s/heavy.com/news/2019/01/mexico-pipeline-explosion-graphic-videos/amp/
Gig 'em! '90
RCR06
AG
When was the last time you heard about a catastrophic pipeline explosion in the US? I'm sure it's happened, but not very common. I worked with a guy that was an welding and coating inspector for a pipeline company and we would talk from time to time. He said they ran smart tools through the pipelines frequently and if it picked up something they would do what he called "anomaly digs" to investigate. Not saying something bad couldn't happen just dont let people over hype danger.
Mas89
AG
The 24" KM gas line being installed since Sept in Harris/ Liberty Co. has already caused a catastrophic failure.

The rural county roads they are using to access the new line have been torn up bad. The large Trackhoe and dozers they haul on the roads weigh close to 180,000 pounds including the heavy haul rigs and the asphalt/ gravel road base has been crushed and reduced to muddy roads with terrible holes.

I wish they would have to only access the project off state owned roads. Mat the rest of the route.
ttha_aggie_09
AG
Ragoo said:

B31.8 = Gas
B31.4 =liquid
Ragoo
AG
ttha_aggie_09 said:

Ragoo said:

B31.8 = Gas
B31.4 =liquid
did we find out if it was a gas or NGL line?
Ragoo
AG
I am as much of a small government as anyone but they are very good referees over these types of projects.
ttha_aggie_09
AG
I'm assuming it's one of their gas projects but I am not familiar enough with all of their projects to know exactly and the OP never really made it clear.
HouAggie2007
What catastrophic failure? If it's still being installed nothing is flowing through it to fail
magnumtmp
AG
Bradley.Kohr.II said:

So, there's a big fight over the Kinder Morgen pipeline in Gillespie county. I want to ensure I understand a few things correctly.

I BELIEVE I was told:

A) These are much higher pressure, and any crack causes a catastrophic failure.

As mentioned, pipeline companies are REQUIRED to run smart tools or other identification methods on a regular basis. SCC is nothing to screw with, but today's epoxy coatings do not typically allow disbonding, which is required for SCC to grow.

B) Any cracks, detected by the monitors, will propagate faster than the pipeline can be shut down.

100% false. These cracks grow slow. I've cut SCC samples out of pipe that was installed in the 50s and it still was a ways from failure. Hard to tell when the crack growth started, but you see my point

C) Any leak would, essentially, kill everything for a 3000' radius. (I was told 1% survival rate, with protection).

Pipeline leaks are more common than explosions. A leak can be repaired fairly easy and won't kill anything except the grass. An explosion is always possible, the biggest threat of this is 3rd party damage.....farming accidents, digging around the pipe, etc.

100% false. Anodes and rectifiers are required. Corrosion rectifiers send current through the ground to the pipe to deplete anodes instead of the pipe. These systems are also heavily regulated and regular checks and surveys are required and the records audited. New anode beds have to be installed where the current is too low. Even with coating missing, the CP protects the steel, and the potential readings will show the missing coating that needs repair.

The pipeline in question is a gas pipe, not crude or NGL.
wessimo
AG
I'm guessing Permian Highway Pipeline is what is being discussed here:

https://phpproject.com/

42", 1440psig is pretty standard for a large gas transmission project.

Kinder made a pretty questionable decision routing this through the hill country instead of going further south where people are more accustomed to O&G infrastructure projects. They may save some miles of pipe but are stirring up a lot of opposition.
Bradley.Kohr.II
AG
I do not know what an NGL is, but I was told that it was for the LNG port in Houston.

Part of the issue, is they are being jackasses - rather than do a 2 or 3 degree deflection, they are running it 80' from one ladies jacuzzi, and 200' from her front door.

And a big part of it, is lots of folks do not understand why they need a new easement, instead of using one of the existing ones.

And the whole, "stealing property for no societal benefit" part
Ragoo
AG
Bradley.Kohr.II said:

I do not know what an NGL is, but I was told that it was for the LNG port in Houston.

Part of the issue, is they are being jackasses - rather than do a 2 or 3 degree deflection, they are running it 80' from one ladies jacuzzi, and 200' from her front door.

And a big part of it, is lots of folks do not understand why they need a new easement, instead of using one of the existing ones.

And the whole, "stealing property for no societal benefit" part
they are not being jackasses. They are building where they were able to acquire right of way. They are not stealing property. It is time to calm down.
Rexter
SanAntoneAg said:

https://www.google.com/amp/s/heavy.com/news/2019/01/mexico-pipeline-explosion-graphic-videos/amp/

Damn.....That's a pretty wild video. I've never seen real humans running around while on fire.......just cats.
wessimo
AG
Correct, this pipe will be feeding LNG export projects.

As far as societal benefit, the project will support a lot of economic activity (jobs) and allow the USA to expand geopolitical power as an energy exporter. I guess it is a matter of debate whether private land should be taken for that purpose.
AgLA06
AG
HouAggie2007 said:

What catastrophic failure? If it's still being installed nothing is flowing through it to fail

Snowflake is either trying to be funny or over dramatic. His "catastrophic failure" is in reference to dirt road conditions.
AgLA06
AG
SanAntoneAg said:

An example from Mexico of all places.

You couldn't find cluster F#&@ in Uzbekistan or Venezuela to make your point of the "inevitable" common catastrophic gas line accidents in highly regulated, first world countries?

Edited because the date showed different on my phone.
JB!98
AG
Do these lines utilize some type of cathodic protection?
magnumtmp
AG
JB!98 said:

Yes. Regular surveys of the current is also required. It is heavily regulated and regularly audited.
Ragoo
AG
JB!98 said:

of course
wessimo
AG
AgLA06 said:

SanAntoneAg said:

You literally had to go back almost 20 years to find an in example from Mexico of all places.

You couldn't find a more recent cluster F#&@ in Uzbekistan or Venezuela to make your point of the "inevitable" common catastrophic gas line accidents in highly regulated, first world countries?

Plus that was gasoline, not natural gas.

"Farm taps" used to be common on low pressure gathering systems but nobody is going to be trying to do an illicit tap on a 42" high pressure line.
ttha_aggie_09
AG
If people only knew how many pipelines were around... if live in Houston you're probably less than a mile from a major pipeline. If you live on or near a golf course, I can almost guarantee it.

As someone mentioned above, the worst part about a pipeline this size is the construction and soil displacement for installation. Once it is installed and operational, I wouldn't worry about it. KM has a very robust pipeline Integrity group and Rich doesn't want to be on the news for hurting anyone or damaging property. It's not good for business.
AgLA06
AG
ttha_aggie_09 said:

If people only knew how many pipelines were around... if live in Houston you're probably less than a mile from a major pipeline. If you live on or near a golf course, I can almost guarantee it.

As someone mentioned above, the worst part about a pipeline this size is the construction and soil displacement for installation. Once it is installed and operational, I wouldn't worry about it. KM has a very robust pipeline Integrity group and Rich doesn't want to be on the news for hurting anyone or damaging property. It's not good for business.

Yep. The maps with all the spaghetti lines of the US pipelines is pretty cool to see. Almost as cool as the offshore maps. The average person has no clue.
Mas89
AG
The real catastrophic failure is our local, state, and national politicians on the take who are letting these pipeline companies devalue and take private property rights from landowners who do not want to be impacted. Get a rope.

The roads they destroyed were asphalt/ chip seal before the construction started.

This industry is famous for greasing all the politicians to get what they want- billions in profit by stealing other people's land.

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.