Outdoors
Sponsored by

Binoculars $200-500

4,424 Views | 25 Replies | Last: 3 yr ago by CTGilley
ldg397
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
This question is mainly for Caladan but I welcome others input as well. I have a pair of swarovski el 8.5x42 from previous recommendations, as a follower of Caladan the Great but my main question now is for a backup pair for the kids or whoever I may be hunting with or to take to games when I don't want to take the EL's.

I currently have a pair of redfield rebels 10x42 I got several years ago for $100 and they are ok. Would like to stay closer to $200 but not opposed to stretching on a good deal. Would also like to know that these are a substantial step up from the redfields?? Considering the following any others?

Vortex Diamondback HD 8x42
Monarch 5 or 7 8x42
Meopta Optika 8x42
Bushnell Legend M 8x42
TheEyeGuy
Sponsor
AG
I have the Meoptas in stock. BADASS for the price.
Owner of Texian Firearms:
Dealer in Firearms, Optics, Night Vision and other shooting accessories.
US importer/distributor of Rudolph Optics
Supporting bad financial decisions since 2015
Caladan
ldg397 said:

Caladan the Great
I had to show that to my wife. She laughed.

A lot.

I think you will see a noticeable increase in image quality by going to the ~$200 level. However, now that you are used to really good image quality, you probably won't be very happy with a $200 backup bino. I think that going to a $400-$500 bino is well worth the extra cost, in your particular case anyway.

I have not used an Opteka, but as for the rest of your list, the Monarch 7 will be the best by quite a lot (as it should be, given it's price), followed by a tie between the Legend M and the DB HD, and with the Monarch 5 bringing up the rear.

Monarch 7: very good, wide view with very good focus wheel. However, if you are going to this price level, you should also consider the Leupold Pro Guide HD too.

Bushnell Legend M: rather long barrels, but surprisingly good image quality. The problem with these is spotty build quality, especially in the focus wheel. Some are good, some are very sloppy. If you decide on this model, buy from a place that allows easy returns, in case you get a crappy one.

Diamondback HD: good image quality, but I liked the Legend M image more. However, I think the DB's build quality is slightly better, and certainly Vortex has better customer service.

Monarch 5: good for the price, but saddled with a very small FOV. I think of tunnel vision every time I use one. Otherwise, not bad at all.

Opteka: again, haven't tried one, but Meopta makes good stuff. If you live in the Houston area, it would most likely be worth your time to go by Eyeguy's place and check them out. And then come back here and put up a review.

C
TheEyeGuy
Sponsor
AG
Caladan said:

ldg397 said:

Caladan the Great
I had to show that to my wife. She laughed.

A lot.

I think you will see a noticeable increase in image quality by going to the ~$200 level. However, now that you are used to really good image quality, you probably won't be very happy with a $200 backup bino. I think that going to a $400-$500 bino is well worth the extra cost, in your particular case anyway.

I have not used an Opteka, but as for the rest of your list, the Monarch 7 will be the best by quite a lot (as it should be, given it's price), followed by a tie between the Legend M and the DB HD, and with the Monarch 5 bringing up the rear.

Monarch 7: very good, wide view with very good focus wheel. However, if you are going to this price level, you should also consider the Leupold Pro Guide HD too.

Bushnell Legend M: rather long barrels, but surprisingly good image quality. The problem with these is spotty build quality, especially in the focus wheel. Some are good, some are very sloppy. If you decide on this model, buy from a place that allows easy returns, in case you get a crappy one.

Diamondback HD: good image quality, but I liked the Legend M image more. However, I think the DB's build quality is slightly better, and certainly Vortex has better customer service.

Monarch 5: good for the price, but saddled with a very small FOV. I think of tunnel vision every time I use one. Otherwise, not bad at all.

Opteka: again, haven't tried one, but Meopta makes good stuff. If you live in the Houston area, it would most likely be worth your time to go by Eyeguy's place and check them out. And then come back here and put up a review.

C
Let me know and you'll have a set up there to demo whenever you're ready!
Owner of Texian Firearms:
Dealer in Firearms, Optics, Night Vision and other shooting accessories.
US importer/distributor of Rudolph Optics
Supporting bad financial decisions since 2015
Bird93
AG
Not sure if you qualify for an ExpertVoice membership, but they have the Vortex Viper HD 8x42 for $384. The DB HD and the Legend M are both under $175. Zeiss Terra ED 8x42 is $360. Also, the Celestron Granite ED for $245.
BlueSmoke
ldg397 said:

as a follower of Caladan the Great
Nobody cares. Work Harder
jpb1999
AG
So I think I was reading that the Legend M Series is discontinued and now there are 2 other lines, called Forge and Engage. I assume that Engage is the equivalent of the Legend M? Caladan, can you confirm any of that? I think the Legend Ms are still out there, but they are not listed on the Bushnell site anymore.

BTW, I have the Legend M in the 8x42, and I LOVE them. I guess I got a "good" pair. I even looked through Zeiss, Meopta, and the cheaper Swarovskis and I couldn't tell a difference. I even got my Legend M's on sale, I think on ebay, for $150 ish.

ldg397
AG
Thanks for all the info. In that next group with the Monarch 7 I also found decent deals on the Meopta meopro, vanguard endeavor ed II and leupold pro guide (to be honest I used to be a leupold fanboy but have very little anymore after having to use their warranty a lot more on recent purchases and it wasn't what it had been in the past). Would the monarch still lead the pack in that group?

Another question in your opinion what would be an acceptable fov. From your past recommendations I gather that number is around 350' @1000 yards for 10X. When would you say it warrants going from the 10 power to the 8 power in terms of field of view. My swarovski 8.5X has a field of view of about 400'@1000 and I can appreciate the difference as well as being easier to hold stead so I can appreciate the difference of 50' but can you appreciate 25'??

Also am I correct in saying when looking at an object at 500 yards thru 10X it makes it appear as though it is at 50 yards? Therefore my 8.5X would make that same object appear at 59 yards? Or is it more complicated than that. So you could use the distance you normally view objects and calculate your loss of magnification? Which honestly isn't that much if this is correct.
Caladan
jpb1999 said:

So I think I was reading that the Legend M Series is discontinued and now there are 2 other lines, called Forge and Engage. I assume that Engage is the equivalent of the Legend M? Caladan, can you confirm any of that? I think the Legend Ms are still out there, but they are not listed on the Bushnell site anymore.

BTW, I have the Legend M in the 8x42, and I LOVE them. I guess I got a "good" pair. I even looked through Zeiss, Meopta, and the cheaper Swarovskis and I couldn't tell a difference. I even got my Legend M's on sale, I think on ebay, for $150 ish.

I also believe that the Legend M is discontinued, although I cannot say if the Engage (not to be confused with the Engage DX) was designed with the intent of being the equivalent of the M. Certainly the similar prices could lead someone to infer that.

The price you paid for your M is a good one. I can't think of any other bino one could buy that would give you that much performance for the dollar spent.

C
Caladan
ldg397 said:

Thanks for all the info. In that next group with the Monarch 7 I also found decent deals on the Meopta meopro, vanguard endeavor ed II and leupold pro guide (to be honest I used to be a leupold fanboy but have very little anymore after having to use their warranty a lot more on recent purchases and it wasn't what it had been in the past). Would the monarch still lead the pack in that group?

IMO it is more or less a tie between the Monarch 7 and the Leupold P-G HD. Both are pretty good, with neither standing out above the other. The P-G HD has more ER, the M7 has more FOV. Both of these are slightly ahead of the Meopro and the Vanguard. Of these four, I kinda prefer the Meopro, but only for subjective reasons that would not be important to others.

Another question in your opinion what would be an acceptable fov. From your past recommendations I gather that number is around 350' @1000 yards for 10X. When would you say it warrants going from the 10 power to the 8 power in terms of field of view. My swarovski 8.5X has a field of view of about 400'@1000 and I can appreciate the difference as well as being easier to hold stead so I can appreciate the difference of 50' but can you appreciate 25'??

Probably not, at least in my case, anyway.

Also am I correct in saying when looking at an object at 500 yards thru 10X it makes it appear as though it is at 50 yards? Therefore my 8.5X would make that same object appear at 59 yards? Or is it more complicated than that. So you could use the distance you normally view objects and calculate your loss of magnification? Which honestly isn't that much if this is correct.

I believe that you are correct. I think that difference isn't all that much either. That is why I really like the 8.5x of the Swaro EL - a bit more magnification without a great penalty in FOV.
Caladan
Hey, thanks!
ldg397
AG
I looked at the pro guides in academy and was pretty impressed with them and the nikon 7. However, I found a good deal on the Meopta meopro 10x42 for $399 from sport optics. I think I could have had the nikon 7 for about $50 more and could never really find any deals on the leupolds to put them down in this range. I also really like the idea of the meopta being the magnesium body. Should have them in a few days can't wait to try them out.
Caladan
ldg397 said:

I looked at the pro guides in academy and was pretty impressed with them and the nikon 7. However, I found a good deal on the Meopta meopro 10x42 for $399 from sport optics. I think I could have had the nikon 7 for about $50 more and could never really find any deals on the leupolds to put them down in this range. I also really like the idea of the meopta being the magnesium body. Should have them in a few days can't wait to try them out.
I think the Meopro is a very solid choice. It is one of my favorite "mid-priced" binoculars, mostly because of their build quality and their handling. They have very solid eyecups, and a focus wheel that is free of backlash. Definitely prefer it's external appearance and the feel of it's armor over others in it's price range.

C
agenjake
What do you think, guys- Meopta Optika 10x42 at $299 or Vortex Diamondback 10x50 at $249?
Wodanaz
AG
Without the slightest of hesitation - Meopta.
agenjake
Thanks for the vore of confidence.
CTGilley
AG
For what it is worth I have the Leupold BX4 PG. I like them a lot. My hunting buddy uses Swaros. His are better but most of the time I cannot tell a huge difference.The Swarros have much better color.

The negative to the Leupold is when the sun hits them at the right/wrong angle it makes everything blue.

Caladan, what makes them do that?
Caladan
There are several things I can think of that might cause this. One is when light coming in at just the right angle reflects off of something inside the barrel that wasn't adequately blackened enough to prevent reflections in the first place. Also, light hitting a coated lens from a shallow sideways angle can be partially reflected, which changes the rest of the light that gets through.
CTGilley
AG
Do you think it is a manufactures defect and I should send them back or that is just the way the BX4s operate?
Caladan
CTGilley said:

Do you think it is a manufactures defect and I should send them back or that is just the way the BX4s operate?
I have a 42mm BX4, and I have not seen what you describe. However, I will try to do what you described and see if I can induce the color change you experienced. Don't know if I will get a chance to do this today, but certainly by tomorrow evening, and will reply again at that time.

C
Caladan
I pointed my BX4 in the general direction of the sun and used them over a stainless steel bbq grill in an attempt to induce as much glare as possible. I did not see the color change you described.

C
CTGilley
AG
Then I will give them a call next week. Everything turns very blue.
Caladan
CTGilley said:

Let us know what happens!
agenjake
I bought the Meopta Optika 10x42 and they came in today. I am by no means a bino expert, but these things are extremely clear and well built. My wife balked at the $300, then I handed them to her, she looked in the back pasture and basically said, "Holy crap."

I'll try them this evening at dusk for more confirmation.

Thanks for all the input. These things rock.

CTGilley
AG
Caladan said:

CTGilley said:

Let us know what happens!
I finally gave them a call. Tech said that was the first time he had heard of that happening. His best guess at the time is maybe one of the prisms is misaligned. I am going to send them to get checked out.

Stay Tuned. They are not fast but I should get them back before October.
Caladan
CTGilley said:

I finally gave them a call. Tech said that was the first time he had heard of that happening. His best guess at the time is maybe one of the prisms is misaligned. I am going to send them to get checked out.

Stay Tuned. They are not fast but I should get them back before October.
The one time I sent in a broken binocular to Leupold, they didn't fix them. They just sent me a new pair several weeks later. Hopefully they will do the same for you, so you won't have to wait so long.

They kinda ticked me off though, as the bino I sent them was a 7x42, and they sent me an 8x42. I really liked that 7x42......
CTGilley
AG
They replaced them. They arrived today. I no longer see any tint.
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.