Outdoors
Sponsored by

Bryan Gun Show 18-19 January

3,655 Views | 32 Replies | Last: 4 yr ago by Trinity Ag
GSS
How long do you want to ignore this user?
https://www.texasgunshows.com/index.html

Looking forward to doing some selling and finding that firearm I didn't know I needed...
NRA Life
TSRA Life
Naveronski
AG
Eh, I've found prices to be better online, though EyeGuy, or Big Tex Outdoors than though gun shows.

Also, online stores don't charge admission.
hopeandrealchange
Naveronski said:

Eh, I've found prices to be better online, though EyeGuy, or Big Tex Outdoors than though gun shows.

This is a perfect example of why I very seldom open TexAgs forums any more.

oklaunion
Naveronski said:

Why don't you go to this one before ripping it? Online stores charge shipping, one way or the other. Online stores ship to your FFL who charges a fee. If you can legally purchase a firearm in Texas, neither may be required at a Texas gun show. Where are you going to find a Winchester Model 75 Target from 1947 online without those charges? I found one at Bryan last year. How about a nickel S&W pre-model 19? There was one there.
GSS
Plenty of reasons to go to a gun show, while patronizing EyeGuy and the online stores.

oklaunion got it right...some rare finds, good deals, and "private collections" can make it a worthwhile visit.

I have been to a few crummy shows, usually at one of the very small town events. The Bryan show typically has potential...

The Houston show (NRG Arena) is just a shell of the shows once held in the old Astrohall. Those were great, hours of aisles to walk. Had to take notes, to find items that had been perused as "possibilities".
NRA Life
TSRA Life
Naveronski
AG
hopeandrealchange said:

Naveronski said:

This is a perfect example of why I very seldom open TexAgs forums any more.

I'm the reason? Okay, boomer.
Good thing I don't need to earn a seat at your Thanksgiving dinner.
oklaunion said:

Naveronski said:

Why don't you go to this one before ripping it? Online stores charge shipping, one way or the other. Online stores ship to your FFL who charges a fee. If you can legally purchase a firearm in Texas, neither may be required at a Texas gun show. Where are you going to find a Winchester Model 75 Target from 1947 online without those charges? I found one at Bryan last year. How about a nickel S&W pre-model 19? There was one there.
Online stores do charge shipping, but have much lower starting prices. Still a net win.
My FFL doesn't charge a fee, but okay.
Visiting EyeGuy's store means no shipping.
I'm happy that you found something neat to you. There are also a bunch of fudds with $800 SKS's "sporterized" with some JB weld and a walmart scope mount. I'm sure there will be several $1200 1908's, too. If you want those, wait and buy them at the estate sale.

If you know what you want, and it was made after fall of the USSR, it can be had cheaper and easier elsewhere.

GSS said:

Plenty of reasons to go to a gun show, while patronizing EyeGuy and the online stores.

oklaunion got it right...some rare finds, good deals, and "private collections" can make it a worthwhile visit.

I have been to a few crummy shows, usually at one of the very small town events. The Bryan show typically has potential...

The Houston show (NRG Arena) is just a shell of the shows once held in the old Astrohall. Those were great, hours of aisles to walk. Had to take notes, to find items that had been perused as "possibilities".
I agree about the unfortunate downfall of the Houston show. I remember it being awesome when it was in the George R Brown.
ironmanag
AG
And my first OB block.

Anyone who uses "okay boomer" is not worth anymore time.
According to the Biden White House, what Joe Biden says does not represent the official position of the Biden administration.
meggy09
AG
Lol. Lots of cry baby butt hurt in this thread.

I haven't been to a decent gun show in 10 years. They are trash. You might find one or two majorly over priced interesting things. The rest of it is mystery name chinesium AR uppers, knock off chinese optics that are "the best you've ever seen", a couple jerky tables, a dozen tables with the glass display boxes with complete junk memorabilia, and pistols you can buy cheaper including shipping/ffl.

I still go to kill time, but they are worthless.
GSS
If the shows were as dismal as some state, we (3 or 4 guys) would not continue to buy a table or two, and have a good time, both in sales, BS, and what we are able to buy.

And no, we don't go to see the tables of new firearms, where a "deal" may be hard to come by. And learned long ago to skip the over-priced tables of guns often "under glass". Or even worse, the displayed firearms for sale without any pricing!
NRA Life
TSRA Life
oklaunion
I went yesterday and it was a pretty nice show with a good bit of hunting rifles and some interesting revolvers. The main ammo guy has a lot of Smiths under glass along with some deals on ammo.
hopeandrealchange
I found an absolutely perfect Belgium 20 guage A5.
kyledr04
AG
hopeandrealchange said:

Man, I've been wanting one of those but was out of town
GSS
Sold 3 rifles, a 28ga O/U, and a revolver, bought a gently used bi-tone XDs 4" 45acp.
NRA Life
TSRA Life
oklaunion
meggy09 said:

I haven't been to a decent gun show in 10 years. They are trash. You might find one or two majorly over priced interesting things. The rest of it is mystery name chinesium AR uppers, knock off chinese optics that are "the best you've ever seen", a couple jerky tables, a dozen tables with the glass display boxes with complete junk memorabilia, and pistols you can buy cheaper including shipping/ffl.

I went back to the 'worthless show' today and saw the following:

Winchester 70 in 30-06 with a clover leaf tang and serialed to around 1947 in nice shape for $725. Guy didn't have a clue it was that early a gun.
Winchester Super Grade 70 in 25-06 for $1100. New in the box. Gorgeous wood.
Winchester 88, pre-64, in .243
Winchester 70 from mid-50s in .243, target model with all the accoutrements.
Back table guy had several immaculate Garands.
4 screw S&W model 29 or pre-29 in original clamshell box.
A couple of 38/44 Heavy Duty revolvers from the 50s in nice shape.
S&W Model 51 in .22 mag. near mint
Hairy faced dude walked in with a 50s model Belgian Browning SA Takedown in .22 short only.
Probably the coolest gun I saw was a Winchester Model 12 in 20 gauge with a 25", modified choke barrel and a solid rib. 3rd year gun and the first year the solid rib was offered in 20 gauge. Very nice shape for a 106 year old gun.
There was a good bit more of that type of 'junk' but I'm sure you can order those online.
Naveronski
AG
oklaunion said:

meggy09 said:

Winchester 70 in 30-06 with a clover leaf tang and serialed to around 1947 in nice shape for $725. Guy didn't have a clue it was that early a gun.
Hairy faced dude walked in with a 50s model Belgian Browning SA Takedown in .22 short only.
Probably the coolest gun I saw was a Winchester Model 12 in 20 gauge with a 25", modified choke barrel and a solid rib. 3rd year gun and the first year the solid rib was offered in 20 gauge. Very nice shape for a 106 year old gun.
There was a good bit more of that type of 'junk' but I'm sure you can order those online.

https://www.collectorsfirearms.com/
CS78
oklaunion said:

went back to the 'worthless show' today and saw the following:

Get out of here with that old fuddy junk.

Just fyi, model 12 20 gauges have 2.5" chambers through 1925.
CharlieBrown17
AG
oklaunion said:

meggy09 said:

Weird hill to die on
oklaunion
Class of '17?
CharlieBrown17
AG
oklaunion said:

Class of '17?

Oh dang it's been pointed I'm only 25.

I'm not saying you can't get good stuff at a gun show or that I don't go to them. I just think it's bizarre to spend time trying to convince people there's sometimes quality stuff at them.
Slamn Sharpe
CharlieBrown17 said:

oklaunion said:

Class of '17?

Oh dang it's been pointed I'm only 25.

I'm not saying you can't get good stuff at a gun show or that I don't go to them. I just think it's bizarre to spend time trying to convince people there's sometimes quality stuff at them.

You seem insecure about your age
Furlock Bones
AG
i'll add myself to the list of folks who find gun shows worthless these days. .
Trinity Ag
S
hopeandrealchange said:

I think I saw that one. Seems like the seller had $1895 on the price tag. Did you buy it?

Guy also had a very clean mid-70s 1100 LT-20 with a 26" barrel and a youth stock for $650.

Interested in both, but I lack the knowledge to really know what I am paying for. The 1100 might have been a good gun for my daughter, but it was too much to spend on a flyer.

It was a pretty small show.
oklaunion
The 1100 LT was legit but it was a bit high in my opinion. And the seller is a regular and is difficult to deal with if you want to haggle. But a good guy.
I bought some of the Smoked Meats guy's wares and must say after getting it home, it is the worst snack stick I have ever had. Got the cheddar and jalapeno, buffalo and elk sticks and there was no flavor. Hope the summer sausage is better.
Naveronski
AG
oklaunion said:

The 1100 LT was legit but it was a bit high in my opinion. And the seller is a regular and is difficult to deal with if you want to haggle. But a good guy.
I bought some of the Smoked Meats guy's wares and must say after getting it home, it is the worst snack stick I have ever had. Got the cheddar and jalapeno, buffalo and elk sticks and there was no flavor. Hope the summer sausage is better.

High prices from people who don't want to haggle?

Bad meat products?

Sounds wonderful.
dubi
AG
I purchased a really nice range bag at a gun show.
Furlock Bones
AG
Naveronski said:

oklaunion said:

Bad meat products?

Sounds wonderful.
haha, dude basically comes back and confirms the gun shows are crap.
cledus6150
AG
I saw the 1100 LT and thought it was a nice gun but just a bit high
Slamn Sharpe
I wonder if there are people in the outdoors forum that don't like gun shows?
oklaunion
Furlock Bones said:

Naveronski said:

oklaunion said:

Bad meat products?

Sounds wonderful.
haha, dude basically comes back and confirms the gun shows are crap.
FB:
Brush up on your reading comprehension. Nothing in this world is perfect.
I do appreciate the heads up last week that the OP gave us.
Furlock Bones
AG
an old crusty dude priced a gun too high and wouldn't budge on it. the food you bought was crap.

not too difficult to comprehend.
hopeandrealchange
Trinity Ag said:

hopeandrealchange said:

I think I saw that one. Seems like the seller had $1895 on the price tag. Did you buy it?

Guy also had a very clean mid-70s 1100 LT-20 with a 26" barrel and a youth stock for $650.

Interested in both, but I lack the knowledge to really know what I am paying for. The 1100 might have been a good gun for my daughter, but it was too much to spend on a flyer.

No Sir. I bought mine from a guy that I passed while I was walking around he had it on his shoulder.
One of the wonders of going to gun shows. You never know what gem might walk in the door.
I played with plastic guns when I was a child. I love finding and improving my collection of these old A5's.
G. hirsutum Ag
AG
ironmanag said:

And my first OB block.

Anyone who uses "okay boomer" is not worth anymore time.

Ok boomer
Trinity Ag
S
hopeandrealchange said:

Trinity Ag said:

hopeandrealchange said:

No Sir. I bought mine from a guy that I passed while I was walking around he had it on his shoulder.
One of the wonders of going to gun shows. You never know what gem might walk in the door.
I played with plastic guns when I was a child. I love finding and improving my collection of these old A5's.
Nice!

Trinity Ag
S
oklaunion said:

Researching 1100 prices (or really any old gun with collector value) online is a crap shoot. Hard to know what a "good" deal is if you are not a regular buyer & seller.

$500-800 for used 20 gauges seems to be the range, depending on condition, year, barrel length, etc. 28s are $850-1000 -- which is basically what a brand new one costs (if you can find one).

I guess there are price guides, but I didn't have one at the time. I wanted to pay $500.

If it had a regular stock, I probably would have bought it at what he was asking. But finding a 20 gauge stock was going to add at least $100 (and irritation) to the cost.

Instead, I "overpaid" for a new Benelli Ethos Field 28 gauge at Briley's.
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.