Outdoors
Sponsored by

competition shooting thread

10,519 Views | 110 Replies | Last: 3 yr ago by lexofer
BenderRodriguez
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Made a thread encouraging people to shoot competition as a 2019 resolution. It morphed into a general competition thread and it's not 2019 anymore, so I'm going to let that one die and jabber, madman, me, and whoever else can put up pics/vid talk about competition shooting in this one.

I did decide to get stupid with it this year. I bounced around so much last year because of all the different rules restrictions for revolvers, that I want to simplify this year.

This is what I'm shooting this year: HK45CT.

I'm shooting it AIWB from concealment. Because of how I want to position the holster, I'm shooting Limited 10 in USPSA, and I'll be shooting the same set up at our local IDPA match that allows a "Not for competition" category, if your EDC gear doesn't fit IDPA standards...which this doesn't.

It's also what I'll be using for every day carry, any classes I take this year, etc. One gun for everything, from the same shooting position and same reloads. Keeping everything simple in 2020.

Shot a USPSA match with it this weekend. It was pretty obvious I hadn't been shooting much in December, much less with this gun. I have a lot of work to do, but it felt good to get back out there.

drummer0415
AG
There's a place in my vicinity that does IDPA every Wednesday evening. For my New Years resolution I'll trying to do it once a month. We'll see how it goes.
rally-cap
AG
After taking about 6 months off since my last match for a break, I'm ready to hit the ground running again in 2020! Shooting the NTMG steel match this weekend with my favorite gun, my PCC -

Spikes Glock 9mm Lower - Aero Upper - JP Barrel, Bolt, Silent Captured Spring, and comp - CMC PCC trigger - ALG Defense handguard - Trijicon MRO - Running AngelFire 147gr 9mm (shameless sponsor plug - AngelFire Ammo)

BenderRodriguez
AG
My brain: don't post it don't post it don't post it

Me:

lexofer
AG
Winter break is over so I'm going to start dryfiring nightly again starting today. First live fire practice session of the year on Friday. Loaded up a few thousand practice rounds last week.

This year I'm going to be shooting the Dissident Arms monthly 3-Gun matches any weekend I'm not at a major. Will try to get to one of the Area 59 USPSA matches, I need pick something up from one of the guys there.

Major matches I'm planning on going to this year are Texas Multigun Championship, Generation III Gun, Babes with Bullets, Vortex 3 Gun, Rockcastle Pro-Am, Texas Hard as Hell, Zombie night match whatever it's called, UML Nationals, and Fort Benning 3 Gun. Maybe Wyoming Governor's Match, Pirates of Texas Carbine Championship and DC Project. Just realized almost all of those are in the fall, need to figure out another 1 or 2 in the spring to shoot.

I'll be shooting the same guns I have been for years. Glock 34, Barnes Precision 3-Gun Carbine and Triangle Shooting Sports Benelli M2.
rally-cap
AG
BenderRodriguez said:

My brain: don't post it don't post it don't post it

Me:

I'm ok with that, I half expected it lol. I haven't shot USPSA in almost 10 years. I run PCC in mostly steel matches, and UML when I don't feel like shooting slugs. I've gotten used to the glares when I win UML matches running only PCC -

(._.)
<) )/ Come
/ \

\(._.)
( (> At
/ \

(._.)
<) )> Me
/ \

Shooting as much PCC as I have in the last 2 years has actually helped me way more than I expected going in. It has really helped me get quicker with my shots and transitions, helped me gain confidence in stage planning, and in many other areas. I've noticed quite a difference with my other competition guns since starting the PCC game.
Mr. Dubi
I will probably stick to CO in USPSA as I have since 2015, possibly shooting a few PCC matches. Steel challenge, outlaw steels in rimfire and precision rimfire. I may make a few 3 gun matches too.
RM76
AG
Sure wish there were more F-class mid or long range matches in the eastern half of the state.
BenderRodriguez
AG
I like the PCC guys, I just also really like giving them hell. I think PCC could be very valuable as a training tool.

What's really fun is setting up stages that will challenge both the single stack and PCC guys. Lots more barriers these days, because a long shot on a small target just doesn't force a guy with a rifle to move closer like it always encouraged the pistol shooters to do.

I'll probably shoot PCC in at least one match this year just to try it out.
rally-cap
AG
BenderRodriguez said:

I like the PCC guys, I just also really like giving them hell. I think PCC could be very valuable as a training tool.

What's really fun is setting up stages that will challenge both the single stack and PCC guys. Lots more barriers these days, because a long shot on a small target just doesn't force a guy with a rifle to move closer like it always encouraged the pistol shooters to do.

I'll probably shoot PCC in at least one match this year just to try it out.
I totally get that, we are basically cheating. Everyone hated Open guys at first, now everyone wants to be in Open, they just can't afford it! I love my PCC, it is arguably my favorite gun, and the gun that I shoot the best out of all that I own. My girlfriend loves shooting my PCC, and wants me to build her one as well. Its a great way to get a new shooter into a full size gun.

USPSA isn't very big here in DFW, not many ranges host USPSA matches anymore. But there is a large contingent of PCC shooters here, there are lots of falling steel matches in DFW, and PCC is a great platform for those matches. But the match directors certainly challenge us, like you said, with transitions in and around walls, weak hand shots, etc., more than just the long distance targets. It makes things fun.

I think the thing PCC has helped me with the most is trusting my gut. I think less about my shots now and just pull the trigger. I've noticed I have developed 2 "speeds"

1- up close and personal double taps without really aiming/getting a quick red dot glance on the target, knowing I'm going to land two on paper
2- distance targets where I slow things down a hair to land my two shots, really seeing the red dot center mass

And it has definitely helped my stage planning. Obviously with one gun, there is less to worry about, but that has helped me see other areas of stage planning I wasn't before. I'm seeing opportunities to take shortcuts through corners, different shot angles, reload positions, etc. that I wasn't before because I was too worried about what gun here, dump other gun here, etc.

Be careful, once you load up that 50ish round mag and that timer goes off, you'll be hooked.

BenderRodriguez
AG
My favorite stage design trick for PCC is really close head only targets, with no shoots stapled directly underneath.

ETA: I'm gong to be shooting PCC with a 320 in a B&T stock after I sbr it, like this.

jabberwalkie09
AG
I'll be sticking to Production and Single Stack this year. I learned quite a bit from shooting CO for six months, but my Shadow 2 is just too much fun for me. Additionally I won't have to switch between target focus and front sight some carry Optics is taking a back seat. I'm a classifier short for SS, but will probably end up at a low C I think... Production in the last two months for me in 2019 was not bad, but I want to put start putting together good matches. Especially at majors, I'd like to actually place well in my class.

First major will be Henry Cup in February.
BenderRodriguez
AG
RM76 said:

Sure wish there were more F-class mid or long range matches in the eastern half of the state.

I'd love to get into long range and 3 gun.

But I'm already bad enough at just the pistol stuff.

Someday
Mr. Dubi
I'm not very good at 3gun, but I enjoy it.
HUEY04
AG
All of the reloading in that video reminds me of my first few matches shooting single stack then production, no thanks, it just isn't fun to me. I just picked up a new CZ TSO in November and have a couple thousand rounds through it in practice and will be shooting it for the first time in a match at the end of this month at CCC. Eventually I'm going to have to take Cory up on his JP loaner offer for PCC but I want to show some improvement in limited first. I'm also going to make a point to hit up the .22 steel matches starting this weekend and some of the Dissident 3-gun matches down in Eagle Lake.

New TSO with my old Les Baer that I originally started off with in single stack.

dubi
AG
Mr. Dubi said:

I'm not very good at 3gun, but I enjoy it.
I'm not very good at any of it but it gets me out of the house and keeps me busy!
jabberwalkie09
AG
Texas State Open Championship, USPSA level II match, signups have opened up. It's at Area 59 in Rosenberg, TX. You can register to shoot 4/24 with staff all day, or 4/25 all day Saturday. It will be 10 stages of 32 rounds each, plus chrono.

You can find the match from the club page to register: https://practiscore.com/clubs/generation-p-c

On a separate note, it looks like I'll be shooting Single Stack Major (45ACP, Man Bullets) until at least May. It's just too much fun and the challenge is something else.
jabberwalkie09
AG
Since this is the general competition thread, I'm going to post links for USPSA matches out at Area 59 in Rosenberg for the Houston folks and if anyone comes into town.

Next week in January is GPS' monthly match 1/26/2020. This is a regular USPSA match with the standard division rules. Registration: https://practiscore.com/gps-january-2020/register

February matches posted so far are the matches by Area 59 themselves. Open Carry Challenge is going to be the most friendly to newer shooters or shooters who are less experienced. It's going to be all unloaded starts iirc, everyone is scored minor, and 10 rounds in the mag max. Next OCC match is 2/2/2020. Registration: https://practiscore.com/open-carry-challenge-february/register

After OCC is Area 59's anniversary match in February. This is going to be a regular USPSA club match with the standard division rules. This will be on 2/8/2020. Registration: https://practiscore.com/area-59-anniversary-2020/register

Henry Cup is going to be the in latter half of the month of February as well, and there are still some spots left last I looked. It's a level three match.

If you end up going out to any of the matches at Area 59, let me know and I'll try to squad with you.
cupofjoe04
AG
Where is a good resource so I can find if there are any matches in the southern Colorado area?
jabberwalkie09
AG
cupofjoe04 said:

Where is a good resource so I can find if there are any matches in the southern Colorado area?

PractiScore. Same website I linked. You're going to have to make an account to register for matches. I know a guy in Colorado, but it would help to know where in southern Colorado you are so I could ask if there's clubs in that area for you to check out.
cupofjoe04
AG
jabberwalkie09 said:

cupofjoe04 said:

PractiScore. Same website I linked. You're going to have to make an account to register for matches. I know a guy in Colorado, but it would help to know where in southern Colorado you are so I could ask if there's clubs in that area for you to check out.
Thank!

Im in Pagosa Springs - an hour east of Durango.
jabberwalkie09
AG
cupofjoe04 said:

jabberwalkie09 said:

cupofjoe04 said:

Thank!

Im in Pagosa Springs - an hour east of Durango.

Also check out USPSA's website. Per the website, there is a group in Durango, Durango Practical Shooting League. I'd reach out to the email contact and ask some questions.

https://practiscore.com/clubs/durango-practical-shooting-league
jabberwalkie09
AG
But based on what I'm seeing on the USPSA website, it looks like you will have to drive a little ways to go to a match.
cupofjoe04
AG
Thanks for the info. I'm definitely going to check out the club in Durango.

For the cost of gas, I could probably just buy some steel, get some buddies, and shoot on our own. I've got a nice box canyon that would have perfect backstops for this.

I would love to make a dueling tree or Texas star
BenderRodriguez
AG
Check out MOA targets. His stuff gets used for Cola Warrior events. If it can stand up to what we throw at it, it should serve you and some buddies well for a long time.

https://www.moatargets.com/
jabberwalkie09
AG
February Single Stack/Revolver match out at Area 59 will be 2/9. I'd highly recommend having at least 6 mags on your belt. These matches generally have a classifier, and USPSA has four new ones that were at last year's nationals that were just added.

https://practiscore.com/1911-match-area-59-gps-january-clone/register
BenderRodriguez
AG
Shooting a carbine match in October for a change of pace. https://www.solgwcarbineseries.com/event-information

Had an absolutely awful USPSA match this last weekend.

Lots of points dropped, lots of penalties. Finished real close to the bottom, which is exactly where I deserved to be.

Struggling to adjust to shooting the 45C. I've spent this week trying to rework my grip, which I hope will help, because I had some recoil management/grip issues this match and last match. Reloads are also bad right now and need some practice. I also got way into my own head at the match. Shot with a couple of master level shooters and tried to match their pace subconsciously.

Going at Master speed when you're a low B class shooter at best is a really, really good way to have an awful match, as I was apparently eager to demonstrate by smacking no shoots and throwing D hits, while still managing to be slow.

Hopefully I'll shoot better next month. Already close to breaking ~1000 dry fires this week just trying to adjust and fix grip.

rally-cap
AG
Finally getting my first chance to shoot a match in 2020 on saturday (assuming the weather holds out for once). Shooting an all steel match with my PCC. It's been almost 6 months since I shot under the clock, so hopefully I won't be too rusty. I honestly didn't realize how long it had been between matches until I signed up for this on on Practiscore, and my last results were from August... I felt a little shameful.
Puryear Playboy
AG
Just an FYI that Rockcastle Shooting Center is no more. Nick and Nate decided to shut it down. One of the most awesome places in the country for a match.

I had a meeting with an East Texas couple who are developing a 700 acre property with multiple 1000 yard ranges, high angle shooting towers and lots of other fun ideas that will be open later this year. It's going to be a very cool facility.
HUEY04
AG
I really need to pick up a shot timer to train with, does anyone have any suggestions or models to avoid? I've handled a PACT and a CE Pocket Pro while running shooters at local matches a handful of times but have never really explored their features beyond hitting the start button and reading off a time. I would like to be able to set par times, random delayed starts, easily review and records splits, etc. what else should I be looking for?
jabberwalkie09
AG
HUEY04 said:

I really need to pick up a shot timer to train with, does anyone have any suggestions or models to avoid? I've handled a PACT and a CE Pocket Pro while running shooters at local matches a handful of times but have never really explored their features beyond hitting the start button and reading off a time. I would like to be able to set par times, random delayed starts, easily review and records splits, etc. what else should I be looking for?

The pocket pro II is pretty user friendly IIRC. I think it's easier to set par times on that. Another nice one is the CED 7000 (I think that is the model). Here's a thread from the Brian Enos forums on the two: https://forums.brianenos.com/topic/241860-okay-since-the-only-timer-thread-is-dead-ced-7000-vs-pocket-pro-ii/

The nice thing any the pocket pro II is the external battery so you can change the 9v easily. The CED has to be charged and has an internal battery. I personally like that with the pocket pro II I can look at the clock and check that I'm getting the shots. This helps when you have a PCC that is annoyingly quiet.
BenderRodriguez
AG
PACT, PP2, CED 7000 all work.

I prefer the CED 7000. More programmable, not being able to swap batteries doesn't bother me since the cables on my PP2 yanked out anyway.
Puryear Playboy
AG
For training the Pact Club timer is by far the best.

Single button to operate, large screen, and you use its hook to clip it to your belt and you can look down to see the time, no hands needed.

https://www.amazon.com/Pact-Club-Shot-Timer-III/dp/B00PGIL974?SubscriptionId=AKIAILSHYYTFIVPWUY6Q&tag=duckduckgo-iphone-20&linkCode=xm2&camp=2025&creative=165953&creativeASIN=B00PGIL974
Mr. Dubi
cupofjoe04 said:

For the cost of gas, I could probably just buy some steel, get some buddies, and shoot on our own. I've got a nice box canyon that would have perfect backstops for this.

Going to a couple matches, and at least observing their practices would be helpful before trying to set up your own, but also read the rules for any shooting league; USPSA, UML, IDPA, 3Gunnation (if they are still around) etc.

The rules emphasize safety. Shooting steel is fun, but you can get hurt badly.
jabberwalkie09
AG
Mr. Dubi said:

cupofjoe04 said:

Going to a couple matches, and at least observing their practices would be helpful before trying to set up your own, but also read the rules for any shooting league; USPSA, UML, IDPA, 3Gunnation (if they are still around) etc.

The rules emphasize safety. Shooting steel is fun, but you can get hurt badly.

Indeed. I caught a piece of jacket that came off a piece of steel and hit me in the face. I also saw a guy catch a piece of jacket to the torso. And that's at the distances required of USPSA. Also read about a girl who took some spall from a .223/5.56 round and part of the jacket got stuck in her upper lip.

It also reminded me why I don't particularly like shooting jacketed ammo. Open guys who shoot Major are kind of stuck with having to have actual jacketed bullets though.
Last Page
Page 1 of 4

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.