Outdoors
Sponsored by

2020 Western States Draw Deadlines

106,762 Views | 1154 Replies | Last: 3 yr ago by lazuras_dc
arrow
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
For those of you that have killed a fall black bear. Were the hides in such bad shape that you couldn't do a rug? Something I hadn't considered until now.
BradMtn346
arrow said:

For those of you that have killed a fall black bear. Were the hides in such bad shape that you couldn't do a rug? Something I hadn't considered until now.

I've seen and killed bears with good hides and some rubbed. Most are pretty good.
FrontPorchAg
If you haven't put In for OOS draws yet do it. Montana said their applications are down by 40%. Nevada just put off their draw deadlines by 3 weeks. This is the year to get good odds.
All animals are equal, but some animals are more equal than others
ttha_aggie_09
AG
Might have to put in for a Missouri Breaks rifle tag...
Charismatic Megafauna
AG
aggie1819 said:

I'll probably hunt Eagles Nest again. Hard hard hunt not many elk but fun being above the tree line.

Shoot me a text nueve siete nueve 324 cero 67 cero
Charismatic Megafauna
AG
Thanks for the head up, boys. Almost missed co this year!
FrontPorchAg
ttha_aggie_09 said:

Might have to put in for a Missouri Breaks rifle tag...
. Work is going to be pretty crappy for me this year but I'm going for broke in NV and putting in for all the coveted trophy zones
All animals are equal, but some animals are more equal than others
LEJ
Nevada's DOW site suuuuuuuucks monkey nuts.
agenjake
I want to modestly upgrade my binos, and am used to a pair of Leupold 6x. Nice and clear, but I want to get a little more magnification.

So without getting into a bino pissing match, practically speaking is there a major difference between 8x42 and 10x42? I'll be on a combo mulie/antelope hunt in Wyoming. Good brand, same glass.
JeremiahJohnson
AG
8x is primarily used for bird watchers. Most hunters use the 10x. Not sure if you want brand recs. I won't open that can of worms but that's really based on price and personal preference. Personally I own Leica 10x42. They are perfect for me.

10x is the most magnification that a majority of people can hold without using a tripod to keep steady.

Edit: I would buy good used glass over average new glass all day. Places to look are Rokslide, Ar15 and snipershide forums.
ttha_aggie_09
AG
As stated above, 10x42s. The 12s are too heavy, in my opinion, and you can see everything in shooting range (for hunting) with the 10s.

If you want really good advice on binocular type, start a new thread and wait for the user Caladan to respond. Guy knows his glass.
agenjake
Thanks, that's what I figured. I'll probably go with the 10s. I have looked through a couple of the Caladan threads and just need to decide how much money I want to spend. And compared to some, I am a cheap stake when it comes to this type of stuff. I've also got a scope to buy, so I'm aiming for good and dependable and not breaking the bank.

And I'd rather have a mulie tag, an antelope tag, and $200-300 binos instead of just a mulie tag and $700 binos.
LEJ
IMO, glass is one of the most overrated pieces of gear, in the context of this thread.

If you have a good guide, he'll have good glass, plus the "know how" on where and when to use it. If DIY, you have 10-20 more pressing issues to address.

I've got a little bit of experience and much less success, but that's my opinion on the matter of glass.

ttha_aggie_09
AG
I have a set of Zen Ray 10x43s (not manufactured anymore, I think) that are damn good and cost me $330. I haven't bought another pair yet because they're just damn good... and I am tough on gear. You can find good quality binos in your range.
ttha_aggie_09
AG
LEJ said:

IMO, glass is one of the most overrated pieces of gear, in the context of this thread.

If you have a good guide, he'll have good glass, plus the "know how" on where and when to use it. If DIY, you have 10-20 more pressing issues to address.

I've got a little bit of experience and much less success, but that's my opinion on the matter of glass.

I think it can be one of the most overrated pieces of gear. Depends on a lot of scenarios, as you mentioned.

if you have good vision, are a capable hunter, have experience, and can distinguish size (if factoring into your approach), good glass can make a difference.

If you're relying on a guide to pick out the bull to chase and come up with the plan of approach, you don't NEED a pair of $2600 Swaros. Disclaimer, I have been on that exact type of hunt.

Nothing wrong with buying good glass but it's definitely not a requirement. Especially if you can invest that money in something more important, like another tag or good quality boots or a better bow.

Insert the why not both gif, right?
agenjake
You guys are speaking my language. It'll be DIY plus a bit of local knowledge. I consider $300 binos a BIG investment that I want to last awhile.

If anybody is looking for discount cold weather gear, I scored some decent jackets and what not on sierra.com. They are temporarily not taking orders, but you can still peruse the site. Some the the jackets and pullovers are 75% off.
JeremiahJohnson
AG
For $300 buy used. You can get some good glass in great shape.
lazuras_dc
AG
agenjake said:

You guys are speaking my language. It'll be DIY plus a bit of local knowledge. I consider $300 binos a BIG investment that I want to last awhile.

If anybody is looking for discount cold weather gear, I scored some decent jackets and what not on sierra.com. They are temporarily not taking orders, but you can still peruse the site. Some the the jackets and pullovers are 75% off.

Did the same type of hunt last year. Used some endeavor vanguards 10x42 and they were plenty fine.
agenjake
Oh, I don't fault anybody for spending more than I do. It's all about personal priorities.
agenjake
Ebay?
JeremiahJohnson
AG
I have bought some on eBay. Rokslide is a great place. Also bought on AR15 and snipershide forums.

Hell you could probably find a pair to buy on here. Just ask the OB!
AgLA06
AG
I don't agree with the idea good glass is over rated. Knowing what I do now, I wouldn't buy a spotting scope agains, but I'd definitely buy the best binos and scope I could afford.

I may never go on another guided hunt. But even if I did, I'm not relying on someone else to pick or pass on what my money and effort is being spent towards.

The areas I've hunted haven't been conducive to setting up a spotting scope to glass. Too forested with complex topography. I'm not chasing after anything miles away anyway. If it isn't obviously worth it through my binos, I'm out.

I'm typically not a trophy hunter. However, I've been in a couple situations where I wanted to make sure the animal I wanted to shoot was legal. Good glass matters when determining if eye guards are 4" or counting tines between the trees.

I'm comfortable out to 500 yards prone. Good glass on a rifle means I don't have to set down a rifle to get binoculars or a spotting scope.

ttha_aggie_09
AG
just to be clear, this conversation was started after a poster was asking about upgrading his binos... it was later referred to as glass but I'm not sure it was meant to include spotting scopes. That's certainly not what I was referring too, but I may be off here.
meggy09
AG
I've read a good number of posts from people that went from10s to 8s and say they'll never go back
Log
AG
meggy09 said:

I've read a good number of posts from people that went from 10s to 8s and say they'll never go back
This all good in densely wooded areas, but in wide open terrain, you's going to want 10's. 10x42's are the best option if you are moving a lot in wide open territory, due to decreased weight. If you're hunting big country while stationary, without much hiking, 12x or 15x are best, with a set of 8x or 10x's to carry on your person when stalking in on a spotted animal.
LEJ
I didn't say good glass is overrated. I said glass is overrated.
meggy09
AG
Those posts were all mostly wide open western hunters. The pros generally mentioned were field of view in wide open areas, weight, brightness, and you don't give up much losing 1.5-2x. I would tend to think their right also, but I'll be sticking with a 10x personally.

The cool thing is bigger/better over powered, but I think real world it's probably not necessary. If they'll be stuck to tripod then sure go 15x.
AgLA06
AG
meggy09 said:

Those posts were all mostly wide open western hunters. The pros generally mentioned were field of view in wide open areas, weight, brightness, and you don't give up much losing 1.5-2x. I would tend to think their right also, but I'll be sticking with a 10x personally.

The cool thing is bigger/better over powered, but I think real world it's probably not necessary. If they'll be stuck to tripod then sure go 15x.

I've hit that mid-life-ish stage where my eyes are starting to slowly go. Which is difficult for someone who had better than 20-20 vision my entire life. I'm going the other direction to better magnification on my binos and riflse cope. And I wish I hadn't been so stubborn to wait this long to do it.
AgLA06
AG
Log said:

meggy09 said:

I've read a good number of posts from people that went from 10s to 8s and say they'll never go back
This all good in densely wooded areas, but in wide open terrain, you's going to want 10's. 10x42's are the best option if you are moving a lot in wide open territory, due to decreased weight. If you're hunting big country while stationary, without much hiking, 12x or 15x are best, with a set of 8x or 10x's to carry on your person when stalking in on a spotted animal.

Yep. I think some people are confused about the topic. This is the Western States Draw thread. The entire point is hunting big game out west in big country. 8x is probably fine for east Texas and box blinds. That's not what this thread is about. I've never heard a single successful western big game hunter say glass (of any type) is overrated.
agingcowboy
AG
I used to bow hunt in the Bob Marshall Wilderness. We used to hike in 20 miles and set up and hunt from there for nine days. One year one of our group left his binos in the truck at the trailhead. We were about 5 miles into the hike when he realized it. He felt like there was no point hunting without them and humped it back to the truck and caught up with us later in the day. I tend to agree and consider binos essential and a good place to invest the funds that you have for Western hunting. Binos and boots!
No material on this site is intended to be a substitute for professional medical advice, diagnosis or treatment. See full Medical Disclaimer.
arrow
AG
Montana.
Charismatic Megafauna
AG
consider that for your mulie hunting low light capability is going to be most important, and for pronghorn you are going to want magnification. Those are pretty close to mutually exclusive. If your pronghorn hunt is going to be road-based I'd start with some niikon monarch 12x of whatever vintage caladan recommends then consider some 8x42 for mulies if you are going to be hiking a lot and weight is a concern, or 10x50 if not hiking much
AgDad121619
AG
So I'm going piggy back and ask about spotting scopes - I need one for my Colorado elk hunt based on all my research - any of y'all disagree with the common knowledge on this topic? I have decent pair of 10X42 binoculars - how many of you would rely just on binoculars for a Back country elk hunt for a 1st time DIY hunt
AgEng06
AG
Archery or rifle?

Actually, it doesn't matter, depending on your goals. If you want to kill a certain class of bull, a spotter may be helpful. If you're like me and are looking for something legal, then binos will be fine. On my first trip I carried my spotter for 2 days or so before I ditched it in the tent. Now I take it with me on the trip, but it never ends up making it in my day pack.
CTGilley
AG
AgEng06 said:

Archery or rifle?

Actually, it doesn't matter, depending on your goals. If you want to kill a certain class of bull, a spotter may be helpful. If you're like me and are looking for something legal, then binos will be fine. On my first trip I carried my spotter for 2 days or so before I ditched it in the tent. Now I take it with me on the trip, but it never ends up making it in my day pack.

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.