Outdoors
Sponsored by

Snake thread 2020

322,948 Views | 1871 Replies | Last: 3 yr ago by Null and Void
Counterpoint
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
All visible here.
SteveBott
AG
Check your account settings where you can select pics to automatically load or you can click them manually
Badace52
AG
Came across this scene while bass fishing North of Lake Georgetown today...

CM
No material on this site is intended to be a substitute for professional medical advice, diagnosis or treatment. See full Medical Disclaimer.
Badace52
AG
These guys were also out in force today (three different specimens):

CM
No material on this site is intended to be a substitute for professional medical advice, diagnosis or treatment. See full Medical Disclaimer.
agcrock2005
AG
So did the frog get away or did the snake get full?
Badace52
AG
Didn't stick around to find out. Had a phone meeting I had to attend like 5 minutes later.
CM
agcrock2005
AG
Badace52 said:

Didn't stick around to find out. Had a phone meeting I had to attend like 5 minutes later.
Cool. What kind of doctor are you that knows so much about snakes? Reptile doctor?
BuddysBud
AG
Badace52 said:

I'm impressed that you're bass fishing when you have a phone meeting within a few minutes.
4stringAg
AG
Are those skinks? What kind?
Counterpoint
AG
Badace52 said:

Came across this scene while bass fishing North of Lake Georgetown today...

What is this snake? Awesome pics, by the way!
Badace52
AG
They are a whiptail lizards. I always used to call them six lined racerunners, but I'm not sure if that is the correct name. 12fmane is the one to ask for a definitive answer on exact type of whiptail.
CM
mandevilleag
Looks like a yellow-bellied racer to me.
Badace52
AG
mandevilleag said:

Looks like a yellow-bellied racer to me.

Correct.
CM
Badace52
AG
I'm an ER doc. I was really into animals as a kid. I wanted to know what all the things on our family ranch growing up were and when my parents and grandparents couldn't tell me I figured I'd have to find out for myself.

Once I started down that rabbit hole I wanted to know what all the animals everywhere were and back then I got pretty close. At this point it's kinda like a hobby/party trick more than anything, and I have forgotten a lot of what I used to know.
CM
FTAG 2000
AG
SteveBott said:

Check your account settings where you can select pics to automatically load or you can click them manually

Thanks. It looks like it was actually something with Brave Browser.

Though once I dropped shields in the browser, the site is now crawling.
SteveBott
AG
I only use google
ttha_aggie_09
AG
SteveBott said:

I only use google
duck duck go is a great alternative
SteveBott
AG
Why?
12f Mane
AG
Badace52 said:

They are a whiptail lizards. I always used to call them six lined racerunners, but I'm not sure if that is the correct name. 12fmane is the one to ask for a definitive answer on exact type of whiptail.
Looks to me that #1 and #3 are Texas (Common) spotted whiptails (Aspidoscelis gularis) and #2 is a Six-lined racerrunner (Aspidoscelis sexlineatus).

Both species at one location is super cool.

*edit* unless #2 was a lot smaller than the others, then maybe a young Texas whiptail. They can be tough to differentiate.
ttha_aggie_09
AG
Don't want to derail anymore but it does a phenomenal job of reducing targeted advertising based on your browsing history. It also has a lot more privacy than google. I don't trust a lot of the big tech stuff anymore but it's almost unavoidable...
Ayto Siks
One more reptilian derail... I thought I would see a lot of snakes when I moved to Florida, but I hardly see any. There are tons of lizards though. Here's some of the mid-size (1.5 feet) invasives.

Knight anole

Brown basilisk

Haven't ran into a tegu or monitor yet, but I know they're around. Encountered a couple of pythons, so hope to get back on track and post more snakes soon.
one MEEN Ag
AG
Aren't you allowed/supposed to kill pythons in Florida? I've always heard they're invasive and a result of people dumping their pets/hurricanes releasing them when the house goes caput.
Ayto Siks
Unfortunately, Burmese pythons are breeding and fully engrained in the landscape at this point. I ran over one while driving, and the others I've seen were roadkill as well. I fish the Everglades and Big Cypress a lot, so I'm sure I'll find a live one at some point.
one MEEN Ag
AG
Ayto Siks said:

Unfortunately, Burmese pythons are breeding and fully engrained in the landscape at this point. I ran over one while driving, and the others I've seen were roadkill as well. I fish the Everglades and Big Cypress a lot, so I'm sure I'll find a live one at some point.

Burmese?! I thought it was ball pythons that got released. Good lord I didn't know we basically introduced snakes that big into the Florida Everglades.
SteveBott
AG
There are some huge pythons in Florida.

https://www.upi.com/Odd_News/2016/08/19/Victorious-alligator-swims-off-with-defeated-Burmese-python-in-Florida/1671471632731/
zooguy96
Burmese pythons, among others. Tegus. Nile crocs. Caiman. African Rock Pythons. Anacondas. Reticulated Pythons. Among other invasives. The 'Glades are messed up. Over 20% of all species are invasive.
I know a lot about a little, and a little about a lot.
ttha_aggie_09
AG
Zoo guy is right. Unfortunately, just about every exotic tropical or sub tropical animal can survive and even thrive in south Florida. Tons of invasive fish like peacock bass, snakeheads, armored catfish (plecos), and many more.
Stive
AG
zooguy96 said:

Burmese pythons, among others. Tegus. Nile crocs. Caiman. African Rock Pythons. Anacondas. Reticulated Pythons. Among other invasives. The 'Glades are messed up. Over 20% of all species are invasive.

There are now Nile crocs in Florida? How big are they? And any estimate on how many?
agcrock2005
AG
My brother saw this on his porch in northwest DFW area last night. Said it was a baby. I have no idea.
P.U.T.U
AG
Looks like a banded water snake to me
ttha_aggie_09
AG
PBWS or could also be called a blotched water snake
Watchful Ag
AG
Rat snake on the way to get Shipley Do-Nuts
jgh85Ag
AG
How do you know he isnt going to Krispy kreme? Didnt know snakes ate donuts.
Stive
AG
What is this? Non poisonous I know...

Watchful Ag
AG
Because we're in Shipley country.

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.