Outdoors
Sponsored by

Firewood?

5,306 Views | 26 Replies | Last: 4 yr ago by 1208HawkTree
triumph65
How long do you want to ignore this user?
I know this is a yearly question but suppliers vary year to year.
I'm in Houston and have called Katy Firewood and the Firewood Connection . They want $250-$300 for what they call a "half cord" 4'x8'x16-18" logs. If you do the math that's 1.5'x4'x8' or about 48 cubic feet, slightly over 1/3 cord, a full cord being 128 cubic. Ft. (4'x4'x8'). At those prices you'd be looking at $660-$800 per full cord.
Not worth arguing on the merits of what an actual 1/2 cord is. If they can sell it that's all that matters.
I think there is a supplier outside College Station that sells by truck bed loads but there is a big difference in a neatly stacked pickup load vs. just throwing a pile in a truck.
Sorry for long post. Just trying to get the most for my $$.
Any suggestions? I'm willing to drive 1-2 hours.
Thanks!!
aftershock
I know a few guys in the Katy area that buy all of their firewood at Nalesnik's landscaping. They sell in 1/4 cord increments (I think). I don't know if they're the "best deal in town" or not, but they seem to be pleased with the price and the availability.
Aggie9403
AG
Did you check the wood chop? Up on 290 in Houston
DamageDone
AG
Aggie9403 said:

Buy a slice of pizza at the c-store and feed the hogs
triumph65
aftershock said:

I know a few guys in the Katy area that buy all of their firewood at Nalesnik's landscaping. They sell in 1/4 cord increments (I think). I don't know if they're the "best deal in town" or not, but they seem to be pleased with the price and the availability.
Thanks!! I'll give them a call!
The Catfish
AG
Craigslist is your friend on this. I had a (real) 1/4 cord delivered and stacked for $75 I think. Less to pick up myself. Search around, there are a lot of guys selling this time of year.
triumph65
Aggie9403 said:

Thanks, I will.

My son is at TAMU. If there is anything in College Station he can also pickup a 1/4 in his truck & bring home for Thanksgiving
The Catfish
AG
Aggie9403 said:

Used to buy from here when iived down that way. Good prices, but they called a "1/4" cord just one full row in my pickup. I used to argue w them on it but their prices were always good.
triumph65
The Catfish said:

Aggie9403 said:

Used to buy from here when iived down that way. Good prices, but they called a "1/4" cord just one full row in my pickup. I used to argue w them on it but their prices were always good.
I have found that asking them for a price on a 4 foot x 8 foot stack is the best way to shop, while having a fixed quantity to compare. I completely ignore them when they start talking about "cords". You can also price out a 4 foot by 4 foot stack.
JimPat33
AG
Do you want it split or just logs? I have a lot of oak firewood near Rockdale that I could bring back to Katy with me this Sunday.

Give me a call

nine7nine-2one8......8six0four

agfan2013
AG
Since your son is in CS, you should look at getting some from the Muznys close to snook (their place isnt too far down from chilifest in fact so should be easy for him to find.....) a full cord is $160 and they are very generous on what they call a cord, my boss orders from them and its usually more than that. Good people and great service. see this link from the Aggieland board for their contact info.

Firewood thread on the aggieland board
BosAG06
AG
Not sure if you want to commute all the way to DFW but there is a really good guy up here that will sell you a pickup truck bed load for $140. He helps you load it, makes sure it's stacked nice and full and will keep throwing the logs on until you tell him to stop. Let me know if you want his info.
schmellba99
AG
triumph65 said:

I'm in Houston and have called Katy Firewood and the Firewood Connection . They want $250-$300 for what they call a "half cord" 4'x8'x16-18" logs. If you do the math that's 1.5'x4'x8' or about 48 square feet, slightly over 1/3 cord, a full cord being 128 sq. Ft. (4'x4'x8'). At those prices you'd be looking at $660-$800 per full cord.
Not worth arguing on the merits of what an actual 1/2 cord is. If they can sell it that's all that matters.
I think there is a supplier outside College Station that sells by truck bed loads but there is a big difference in a neatly stacked pickup load vs. just throwing a pile in a truck.
Thanks!!
*cubic foot
tmaggies
AG
Contact me.......tmaggies@aol.com
triumph65
schmellba99 said:

triumph65 said:

I'm in Houston and have called Katy Firewood and the Firewood Connection . They want $250-$300 for what they call a "half cord" 4'x8'x16-18" logs. If you do the math that's 1.5'x4'x8' or about 48 square feet, slightly over 1/3 cord, a full cord being 128 sq. Ft. (4'x4'x8'). At those prices you'd be looking at $660-$800 per full cord.
Thanks!!
*cubic foot

Thanks @schmellba99!
Edited
jsdaltxag
Who is the guy in DFW?
TxFig
AG
triumph65 said:

Aggie9403 said:

Thanks, I will.

My son is at TAMU. If there is anything in College Station he can also pickup a 1/4 in his truck & bring home for Thanksgiving

Send him to my place with a chainsaw. He can take all he wants if he is willing to cut it up. FREE. I have ~10 oak trees that are dead, but still standing.

Serious offer. 979-220-0004.
--
Chris Barnes
Retired A&M IT geek - now beekeeper
http://www.cornerstonehoneybees.com/
tweekac
AG
For those who may have used Dwayne and Angel Muzny for firewood in the past, looks like they have a rough road ahead of them.

Dwayne Muzny Benefit
KaneIsAble
AG
holy crap that's terrible.
Brazos1865
AG
I've never met Dwayne Munzy. Due to recommendations on TexAgs, my wife tried to contact him back about November and he was very slow to respond. Turns out, this was right about the time of his accident. My wife spoke with his wife and found out he had been injured.

After reading his GoFundMe page, we decided to make a donation to help them through what must be a very challenging time.

It seems as if a number of TexAgs members have done business with Mr. Munzy in the past. Might this not be an opportunity for the OB to step up and help out someone in need by donating to his GoFundMe site? The amount contributed to the site is not much considering the medical bills they'll surely face.

Again, I have never met Mr. or Mrs. Munzy, but please donate if you can.
GSlice06
AG
Not to be rude, but dead trees are free. Find a land owner that needs some help and get some free wood.
ABATTBQ11
AG
Never done business with him and wouldn't know him from Adam, but that's a terrible situation to be in. Donated.
CMP-00-
AG
Not here to discuss prices but I'll tell you that after years of using oak firewood, we got a half-cord of hickory this year and I'm not sure I can go back to oak for the main fireplace in the house. The hickory is so dense: burns almost twice as long, better heat generation, makes better coals/embers. It was pricier but I feel like the value is there.
No material on this site is intended to be a substitute for professional medical advice, diagnosis or treatment. See full Medical Disclaimer.
Absolute
AG
Used two different folks here in Dallas this winter. Not overly thrilled with either, other than they were on the low end of price. One supplied really green wood, the other shorted me.

Wife has been asking for fires pretty much any time possible, so might need more soon.
AgsMnn
AG
Anyone want to come cut some post oak?

In laws have a place with a lot of post oaks down.
Vernada
AG
I wasn't really happy with what I had delivered this year. Price seemed nice ($200 delivered cord) but a lot of wood had rotted areas, and lots of signs of previous infestation. The wood burns fine, but is ugly, uneven, and you certainly wouldn't want to keep any in the house. No doubt the guy was hired to remove dead/downed trees for someone and is selling the result. I don't have a problem with that, but just expected "nicer". First time having wood delivered.

San Antonio area.
Absolute
AG
Had to restock. Based on cmp's post and my general dissatisfaction with the wood I have purchased (supposedly oak) this year, I bought a 1/2 cord of hickory from Higgins firewood. Paid a little more, but this stuff is awesome. Burns sooooo much better. I'm sold forever.
1208HawkTree
AG
I found a guy that will deliver to Katy and have ordered from him the last 3-4 years. His price hasn't fluctuated much and it's less than if I were to pick it up myself at other places https://houston.craigslist.org/grd/d/katy-oak-firewood-seasoned-180-half/7065138010.html

I did notice a place at the corner of Mason and Franz while taking my daughter to Vball last week that I want to check out. Looks like a taqueria/food truck is the main business, but they had a sign stating firewood for sale out front, and a ton of split logs stacked along the road.
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.