Outdoors
Sponsored by

300 HAM'R

9,153 Views | 33 Replies | Last: 4 yr ago by TheEyeGuy
TdoubleH
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Anyone have experience with these? Getting close to pulling the trigger on the Wilson Combat with 18" fluted barrel. I get there are other cheaper alternatives, blah, blah. But my money and I want a WC15 platform. I like the ballistics on this vs the 300 Blackout. I think of it as an extended range 300 blackout. Would load my own ammo.

Piggies, varmints, and occasional whitetail are the target animals.
BCStalk
Never heard of it. What is the benefit over a 300blk besides range?
TdoubleH
AG
https://www.wilsoncombat.com/300-hamr/
BCStalk
Let us know if you pull the trigger on one. I have a Grendel I want to switch barrels on and was considering another 300blk but this looks pretty interesting. Definitely would have to buy a different style magazine for something like this. Would not want to be the guy who puts the wrong cartridge in the wrong rifle.
CS78
I like it. The 300bo never did it for me. Sub 7.62x39 energy and questionable subsonic energy. This cartridge obviously swapped projectile length for more powder. Simple but great idea. Hopefully it's not overshadowed by all the other current offerings.

I do have to wonder if the published loads have been tuned for 16" barrels and would like to see how it does in 10-12" barrels.
TheEyeGuy
Sponsor
AG
We're doing a build on one right now for a customer. I like it a lot more than blackout, but it's been no secret that I'm not a huge fan of blackout. It can be a great round but it's misused a lot, imo. Hamr brings more versatility than the blackout.
Owner of Texian Firearms:
Dealer in Firearms, Optics, Night Vision and other shooting accessories.
US importer/distributor of Rudolph Optics
Supporting bad financial decisions since 2015
TdoubleH
AG
I believe you are correct. Although I do see where WC sells some SBR barrels for this round. Would think they have some data somewhere
BCStalk
TheEyeGuy said:

We're doing a build on one right now for a customer. I like it a lot more than blackout, but it's been no secret that I'm not a huge fan of blackout. It can be a great round but it's misused a lot, imo. Hamr brings more versatility than the blackout.

So I like my 10" 300blk pistol for walking around the woods since it's 28" suppressed, but want something with a better range to hunt out of a stand, this would be a good option? I've been sitting with an AR10 for 2 years, but damn if the thing is heavy. Would love another option in a .300 that is lighter.
TwoMarksHand
AG
TheEyeGuy said:

Can you expand? I have an extra lower that I'm trying to figure out what to do with. I already have 223/556
TheEyeGuy
Sponsor
AG
I hope this addresses both previous posts.

So, my only beef with 300 hamr is... go find ammo. However, for super sonics.... it absolutely toasts 300blk.

https://s3.amazonaws.com/wilsoncombat/files/300_HAMR_Comparison.pdf

Of course, this info is from wilson so take it with a grain of salt, BUT it does show what I'm getting at. Now, I'm going to be the first to say, 1000 ft/lbs of energy is not the end all be all in energy needed to take down a deer, but that's a number we've used for years to say, "This is an ethical amount of energy." You need to combine ft/lbs with the projectile type being used to get the full story.

However, if both 300blk and 300hamr are using 125gr bullets, the difference in energy will be very significant. We'll just do a thought experiment here and use the 1000 ft/lbs as a magical number that does mean it will efficiently kill an animal. In this case, 300blk stops being effective somewhere between 100-125 yards. Hamr will actually retain that energy out to between 250 and 300. That's... a huge difference.

When both are loaded in subsonic, they should theoretically have nearly identical performance. But the only thing I'd shoot with a subsonic round is a pig because... well... Texian Firearms mantra is they have no souls. Anything else, it doesn't have enough energy for me to feel comfortable cleanly taking it.

Now, if you want a true all around cartridge that does suppress well and has decent range and operates with efficiency on deer, take a hard look at 6.8SPC. I think it's also no secret that I'm a Grendel homer over the SPC but I'm not concerned with using subsonics for hunting except with pigs and I have a dedicated SBR just for that purpose. Perk of building ARs is that I own like 6 and they are all set for very specific situations so I don't have to worry about having an all around rifle. When I built my first AR, I did go with 6.8 due to it's overall versatility but I don't really sell it much anymore since it has fallen in popularity.

So, back to the conversation at hand with 300blk vs Hamr.... For me, ammo availability is not something I'm worried about at all. But I'm a special case. I literally stock the store with the ammo I use for hunting so that I always have it. Plus, if it is something I actively use, it's a lot easier for me to be enthusiastic about selling it.

Basically, Hamr makes a very good argument for itself but I'm still left with the feeling that it is a solution looking for a problem. In supersonic, 6.8SPC has longer range than Hamr and Grendel even further. So, if you want to do more with one upper, the Hamr is superior to 300blk but if you end up running multiple uppers and have a 6.8 or a grendel, it makes the Hamr fall into the suppressed nice that blackout falls into as well.
TdoubleH
AG
Haven't looked into the 6.8 SPC too much (shame on me). From a limited amount of google'ing, i surmise that In terms of energy the 6.8 SPC and 300 HAMR perform "relatively" close to one another (Looking at 120 gr projectiles). So then it becomes a matter of which has the flattest trajectory, which the 6.8 SPC wins here.

Correct me if I'm wrong but I summarize the comparison between these two as the 300 HAMR being a less accurate 30 caliber 6.8 SPC round. 300 HAMR has a 100 lbs or so more energy at closer ranges but when I say less accurate, I am talking about which has the more flat trajectory. So I could see how it is a solution looking for a problem.

Good info.
SMM48
AG
Do it. That's a solid purchase.

Which model are you thinking? Urban? Recon?
SMM48
AG
Great advice. Thank you.
TdoubleH
AG
Looking at the Ultralight Hunter with fluted 18" barrel.
BenderRodriguez
AG
TheEyeGuy said:

Perk of building ARs is that I own like 6 and they are all set for very specific situations so I don't have to worry about having an all around rifle.

Same, but I keep building new ones trying to find that perfect all around rifle anyway....latest thought is a 6.5 Grendel mini recce with lots of lightweight parts....
TheEyeGuy
Sponsor
AG
BenderRodriguez said:

TheEyeGuy said:

Perk of building ARs is that I own like 6 and they are all set for very specific situations so I don't have to worry about having an all around rifle.

Same, but I keep building new ones trying to find that perfect all around rifle anyway....latest thought is a 6.5 Grendel mini recce with lots of lightweight parts....
I do love my grendel pistol. Still don't have an exact use for it but... gun store owner problems.
87IE
AG
BenderRodriguez said:

TheEyeGuy said:

Come on man.

Some wives/girlfriends may read this..

You know better than to try to create the pink polka dot unicorn as there is no "perfect all around" rifle. We need "X" number of AR's for "X" applications..

It's kind of like women can't own just ONE pair of black shoes...
It's Laken Riley, not Lincoln you idiot
tk127ag
AG
6.8spc can be converted to a .224 Valkyrie as well, just need barrel. Same BCG. Another plus with 6.8.
Furlock Bones
AG
tk127ag said:

6.8spc can be converted to a .224 Valkyrie as well, just need barrel. Same BCG. Another plus with 6.8.

I've heard nothing but bad things about the Valkyrie.
Furlock Bones
AG
Pretty damned impressive accuracy.

SMM48
AG
Great choice.

Have you cheekwelded that type of Butt stock before.

Had an original tail hook when they came out. Similar design. Buffer tube no real cheek weld. Ended up taking it off and going with sb3 at the time.

Before spending that kind of money on the Wilson. Make sure you're gonna like that lack of cheekweld o the ltw Hunter.

They are pretty much all in the 7lb range. Tactical Hunter has the 18 fluted as well but with better cheekweld stock
Slamn Sharpe
How long has this "300 HAM'R" been around? I've never heard of it and I'm always looking. If its relatively new then the ammo issue will clean itself up over time.

Everytime I turn around a new caliber is introduced. The 6.8spc is relatively new and last I read it was a high performing round.
jpb1999
AG
Furlock Bones said:

Pretty damned impressive accuracy.

That video makes me want one. So I can put a 300 hamr on a 556/223 lower? So what is a good accurate barrel to get? Or is Wilson Combat the only option?

Or if I wanted to change my 223 into something that would be a good choice for a 7 year old to deer hunt with, what should I go with?
TdoubleH
AG
Definitely thought about that. Was going to swap that out when ordering. Either with their Super-Stoc or the Magpul PRS Gen 3. Thanks for the feedback.
SMM48
AG
Lookin down the spec sheet the hunter and ltw are practically the same except for the buttstock. Maybe I missed something
SMM48
AG
Yes you can. AFAIK Wilson is the only hamr manuf. I have not googled to check.

https://shopwilsoncombat.com/300-HAMR/products/1072/
TheEyeGuy
Sponsor
AG
If there's interest, I have a dealer account with Wilson for parts, I can make a run of uppers
SMM48
AG
What hamr 300 or 6.8 barrel length would you suggest. 14.5?
jpb1999
AG
TheEyeGuy said:

If there's interest, I have a dealer account with Wilson for parts, I can make a run of uppers

What would be the general cost for an upper? I see the barrel prices but not uppers in the 300 Hamr...
TheEyeGuy
Sponsor
AG
SteveMedina said:

What hamr 300 or 6.8 barrel length would you suggest. 14.5?
16" unless wanting to run as a pistol/sbr, then probably 11.3" but maybe the 8". Would want to discuss a couple things with Wilson on that first.

TheEyeGuy
Sponsor
AG
jpb1999 said:

TheEyeGuy said:

What would be the general cost for an upper? I see the barrel prices but not uppers in the 300 Hamr...
These aren't going to be cheap, but I'll keep it as good as I can. On something like this, I'd say let me do Aero upper/handguards. if I buy enough at once, I can get really good pricing on them, plus they are faster/easier to put together so less gunsmithing time = less I have to charge.

So, Aero Enhanced Upper/Handguard, Wilson Combat Barrel, Gasblock/tube, and muzzle brake...

If I can get at least 12 going, $499. No bcg/charging handle but can make an addon for that.
SMM48
AG
You know....Wilson upper receivers sure look like unbranded vltor mur's no forward assist. Either that or cross machine tool.
Furlock Bones
AG
um, yes please.
greenman99
AG
Are you close to 12?
TheEyeGuy
Sponsor
AG
greenman99 said:

Are you close to 12?
Actually, this is something that will happen. Will be pestering wilson on monday about it.
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.