Outdoors
Sponsored by

Trouble shooting rifle issue

1,621 Views | 4 Replies | Last: 4 yr ago by IBombedTheMoon
IBombedTheMoon
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Model: Savage 110
Caliber: 300 win mag

I bought this rifle used and from the get-go I've noticed that the action is a little stiff, it wasn't alarming, but at times it's taken a bit more encouragement to lift the bolt handle and cycle. Last time at the range is started doing something really goofy... when I lower the handle (with or without a round), the firing pin doesn't stay locked back and the trigger/safety will not move. If I keep a little bit of forward pressure on the bolt as I'm closing it, it functions just fine.

I took the bolt apart and noticed something very concerning, there is a point on the bolt body that looked to be damaged, I polished it up to get a better idea of what was going on so it looks a little cleaner than what it did when I first inspected it. Anyway, it was clearly damaged so I ordered a new bolt body and while the action is normal, the firing pin issue is still there. All signs point to the cocking piece sleeve (left) being out of round, but that's not an easy part to get, thanks Savage, but before I start ordering new parts I thought I'd run it by the OB to get your opinion/advice. Thanks in advanced.

IBombedTheMoon
AG
Follow up:

Any safety concerns with the rifle being safe to fire, last thing I want is this thing blowing up on the line...
Also, any unforeseen issues I might run into swapping the bolt body out? Could this change head-space, etc? I plan on remeasuring everything, but figured it wouldn't hurt to ask.
schmellba99
AG
Are you positive the cocking sleeve is out of round? Have you slugged or scoped the chamber to see if it has any issues?

Not familiar at all with Savage actions, just wondering how that piece could get damaged and if the out of round issue maybe stems from an overcharge that egged the sleeve, chamber, etc?
CactusThomas
AG
Might try a Lambeth lift kit. Stiff bolt is very common on savage actions.
John Cocktolstoy
I definitely would send this in to savage. Might just send you a new one.
Second Hardest Workin Man on Texags
IBombedTheMoon
AG
schmellba99 said:

Are you positive the cocking sleeve is out of round? Have you slugged or scoped the chamber to see if it has any issues?

Not familiar at all with Savage actions, just wondering how that piece could get damaged and if the out of round issue maybe stems from an overcharge that egged the sleeve, chamber, etc?
The sleeve is a hundredth or so out of round according to my calipers. Looking online I've seen a few cases with people dealing with similar problems with the common solution being replacing the sleeve. It's only a 6 dollar part from Savage, but it has to be sent to a FFL (no idea why since there's no serial number associated with this part).

I haven't slugged the chamber, but I've got plenty of lead so I'll probably do that today. It's not unlikely that I damaged it, or made it worse with load development, but I'm careful to never over charge a round, but I could have had a spike with a piece of brass that I missed in sizing or maybe I had seating depth too deep.
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.