Outdoors
Sponsored by

Injured buck - let him walk?

2,811 Views | 7 Replies | Last: 4 yr ago by La Vernia_Ag06
texrover91
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
So I've got a really nice mainframe 8 that has what appears to be an injury on his front left leg/shoulder. Noticed it last year and was hoping he'd walk it off but it's as bad if not worse than last year. No visible injury that I can see. He was tending does last year and I've never seen him travel with any bucks

I prefer he walk. He can still jump a fence and get to the feeder. All around he looks healthy, good body mass. Probably pushing 5.5 yo

Everything points to letting him breed and reevaluate at the end of the season

Any suggestions?

TIA
Dirty-8-thirty Ag
AG
5.5 y/o 8? I'd shoot him.
rab79
AG
Had a buck opening weekend with a broken right rear leg just above the hoof, a grapefruit sized abcess under his neck and visible ribs. Dirt nap before he died of starvation.
agsalaska
AG
First, if he is truly 5.5, id shoot him. I believe people put way to much thought into that anyway. If you want to shoot him shoot him. But If he is limping as bad as you say he is he is probably not breeding.

I shot an 8 point last weekend that had a broken front right leg. He had a noticeable limp. When I got to him the leg had healed a while back but he could not do the things bucks do to get to the does, even though he had them hanging around. Id be real surprised if he was still breeding. When I skinned him it was like skinning a hog. He had a layer of fat an inch thick.
The trouble with quotes on the internet is that you never know if they are genuine. -- Abraham Lincoln.
SteveBott
AG
I'd also be really surprised if he is breeding. He probably can't run off his competition. So at best getting lucky in rare instances.
SanAntoneAg
AG
Took this guy last November, figured I was doing him a favor. Never saw him on camera, but the neighbors had pics of him in their protein pens. Best I can tell, he was a victim of a bad shot in fall 2017.

Gig 'em! '90
barnag
deer are super resilient creatures, but like others said, if he's 5 1/2 I'd take him out.
texrover91
AG
I figured since he was tending a doe last year and still able to jump a 3' fence, we just might get one last hoorah out of him.

Maybe not but now I'm leaning towards a dirt nap!
La Vernia_Ag06
AG
Saw a doe last week that appeared to have a broken leg. Never saw that before and let her walk as I figured nature would handle her. Thinking back to it, probably should have put her down.
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.