Outdoors
Sponsored by

Playsets/Swingsets

2,503 Views | 24 Replies | Last: 4 yr ago by aTm2004
Illustrious Potentate
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Looking to get the young'uns a playset for Christmas. Our current back yard is not ideal for a large set, but we plan to move in the next 12-18 months. Does anyone have suggestions on a set that can be added on to in the future?
04.arch.ag
AG
if you know you are going to move soon i wouldnt spend time to build one. they are a pain to disassemble and put back up. or buy a small one that just gets left at the current place
Frisco
AG
Following. Wife wants us to do the same
schmellba99
AG
I bought one from Sam's or Costco several years back when the kids were small. After membership fee and what not, I think I paid just under $1k delivered.

Spent several hours with my dad assembling it, built a nice area with landscape timbers and mulch to keep from having to mow and weed eat around it, etc.

Kids played on it for maybe 2 years, then it sat for another couple of years before I found somebody to give it away to.

Lesson - don't spend a fortune on a Rainbow or what not. Also, look on facebook marketplace and craigslist and you might find one for free if you go disassemble it and move it out of somebody's yard.
Aggieangler93
AG
I lived through this also at one point. Do what schmellba says.
Class of '93 - proud Dad of a '22 grad and a '26 student!
Ark03
AG
Agreed. When most people are done with them they are just happy to get rid of them. I bought one for my kids on Craig's List for $100 that probably cost $4,000 new. I rented a long, flatbed trailer from uhaul, and the owner helped me take it apart into a couple of sections that would fit on the trailer. I got a buddy to help me get it off the trailer, then stood it up by myself and bolted it back together.
Emotional Support Cobra
AG
I would get a cheap metal set with 2 swings and a slide, and then upgrade after you move.

aTm2004
AG
We bought this one from Academy last year when they had it on Black Friday sale for like $500. Took me, my dad, and my brother about 6 hours to put together, but a lot of that time was spent early on trying to figure out WTF was going on.

If you want to put whichever one you buy together, I'd highly suggest at least 3 people. Have 1 person 1 step ahead getting the proper boards and screws/washers/bolts ready while the other 2 put the current step together. Things rant a lot smoother and faster once we started that.

I'd also suggest having a couple of drills and batteries available. We mostly used a Dewalt impact driver with a socket adapter for the larger things and a Dewalt 20v drill for the smaller stuff. Worked well and sped things up a lot as long as you stopped when you felt it was time.
AGGIE WH08P
AG
Can you weld? Or know someone who can? This was a pretty easy project if you know your way around a welder. If not, if you have a buddy that can make your these 2 brackets, that's all you need. Once mine out grow it, I'll add longer legs and turn it into a deer cleaning rack.

https://texags.com/forums/34/topics/3036524
Scroll down to my pics
SMM48
AG
Whichever you get.

First step is to sort all the boards by their alphabet code. A1. A2. A3. Etc.....b1 b2 b3. Lay them against the fence. Start at far leftmost point of fence.

Will make it easier to know where they are when instructions call for them.

We have had 2. This one was the favorite. If limited on space, leave off the monkey bars on the left

Google skyfort...might be able to find on sale elsewhere.

https://www.walmart.com/ip/Backyard-Discovery-Skyfort-II-Wooden-Cedar-Swing-Set/51266622

ShinerDunk93
AG
Ark03 said:

Agreed. When most people are done with them they are just happy to get rid of them. I bought one for my kids on Craig's List for $100 that probably cost $4,000 new. I rented a long, flatbed trailer from uhaul, and the owner helped me take it apart into a couple of sections that would fit on the trailer. I got a buddy to help me get it off the trailer, then stood it up by myself and bolted it back together.
You don't have a lot of time, but at least check this first. I got one off of craigslist a few years ago from a fellow Aggie.. turns out he was about 2 miles from my house and wanted the space for a trampoline. It was a pretty high quality one. I looked it up it and it was around 1.5k new. It was 4 years old and in great shape and I paid $200. A friend of mine helped me disassemble and move. Easy really, with an impact driver and the right size sockets, probably only took a couple hours
Beckdiesel03
AG
We went with a nice metal set from Lifetime. We had it up and ready to go Christmas morning in under 2 hours. I didnt want to have to mess with the maintenance of a wooden one. Plus with this metal one, we can remove the slide and with help from a neighbor move it to different parts of the yard so the grass doesnt get destroyed in one spot. We are on year #5 with it and it looks brand new. Sheds for less online had the best price on it compared to sams club.
Illustrious Potentate
AG
Thanks, been leaning toward one of the Lifetime options. Will most likely go that route.
Bregxit
AG
If anyone looking for a set I have a Tree Frogs set near The Woodlands. $Free.99...come take it down and haul it off. It needs to be cleaned up and needs restaining.

https://treefrogsshowrooms.com/product/toucan-playcenter-tarp/
HowdyTexasAggies
AG
I would get a trampoline before a swing set. My kids still use it and they are now teenagers. Swing set hasn't been used for years.
dummble
AG
Very interested how can i contact you, what is your time frame?
culdeus
AG
My parents got our kids a giant expensive one despite trying to talk them out of it. I can't even seem to give the damn thing away.

Don't do it.
Bregxit
AG
dummble said:

Very interested how can i contact you, what is your time frame?

<edited out email>

Any time between now and forever. Let me know when you have the email so I can take it down.
dummble
AG
missed your email, mine is my username at gmail
John Cocktolstoy
If you are in CS and need a playset I would be happy if you took mine. I have a playhouse too that is a miniature house.
Second Hardest Workin Man on Texags
Bregxit
AG
Email sent
BlueSmoke
Thought this would be about needing something cheap to hang deer from. Got mine on Craigslist few years back. Works great.
Nobody cares. Work Harder
ShinerDunk93
AG
BlueSmoke said:

Thought this would be about needing something cheap to hang deer from. Got mine on Craigslist few years back. Works great.
A neighbor of mine down the street converted theirs into a chicken coop
Frisco
AG
John Cocktolstoy said:

If you are in CS and need a playset I would be happy if you took mine. I have a playhouse too that is a miniature house.
Interested and in CS. email is username @ suddenlink dot net
LCE
AG
Just get a rope and an old tire.
aTm2004
AG
I remember the playset my dad built for me when I was a kid. The slide was metal, so it was practically useless most of the year, and he put it together with nails that stuck out about half an inch all over it. I could have taken a saw and made it flush, but he just told me to not run into the nails.
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.