Outdoors
Sponsored by

Entropion in Labrador retrievers

1,239 Views | 3 Replies | Last: 4 yr ago by IslandAg76
Reel Aggies
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Looking for some advice. We have a 6 mo old English Lab that has developed entropion over the last couple weeks in both eyes. We have seen the local vet and he recommended surgery. There is quite a bit of back and forth online on whether we should let him grow into it or have the surgery. I hate seeing him like this because I know it is painful. What is the consensus? Is the surgery common enough to let out local guy do, or should we take to a vet optho?
Gunny456
AG
I can not give you any advice. But I can pray that he will be healed and give you many years of love and joy.
zooguy96
We had a tiger at the zoo with entropion. The tiger was about a year old. The zoo vet and a consulting ophthalmologist (who was on the board of directors) performed the operation. That's all I can offer for this post.

I watched, and painted the tigers paws and got paw prints why it was out.
I know a lot about a little, and a little about a lot.
SoTXAg09
AG
I would look into a temporary fix (tacking the lids vs. surgical repair) until the pup is an adult.
IslandAg76
AG
Wait a couple months until must growth is complete.

If your local vet says s/he can do it they have probably done it before. It is not a technically difficult surgery but a little "art" involved wrt how much tissue to remove.

As with most surgeries, the board certified person has advanced training and has probably done more than local DVM
"Suppose you were an idiot.
And suppose you were a member of Congress....
But then I repeat myself." Mark Twain
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.