Outdoors
Sponsored by

Thanksgiving Turkey

7,634 Views | 84 Replies | Last: 4 yr ago by HtownAg92
JeremiahJohnson
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Beware.... I offered to smoke the family Thanksgiving Turkey on the Big Green Egg one year. Since then, I am expected to cook every year. It blows all other cooking styles out of the water.
Aggie_3
aggie1819 said:

Beware.... I offered to smoke the family Thanksgiving Turkey on the Big Green Egg one year. Since then, I am expected to cook every year. It blows all other cooking styles out of the water.

Doesn't beat fried
JeremiahJohnson
AG
Aggie_3 said:

aggie1819 said:

Doesn't beat fried

Mine does all day... no contest. We no longer fry.
TXAG 05
AG
TxFig said:

We always do TWO turkey's

1 Fried - this is the turkey we actually eat on T-giving day.

1 Baked in the oven - we do this because the dressing cooked inside a baked turkey is 1,000,000 times better than dressing cooked in a pan. The turkey meat is added to the left-over pile for sammiches for the next week.

I'll NEVER smoke a turkey. Smoking is a terrible flavor. Hell, I wrap my briskets do they get less smoke crap on them.

Aren't you special?
B-1 83
AG
17 lb Honeysuckle White thawing in the fridge now ready for brining in a few days.
TheEyeGuy
Sponsor
AG
Screw Thanksgiving turkey. I bought a prime grade ribeye roast and are doing that bad boy this year.
Owner of Texian Firearms:
Dealer in Firearms, Optics, Night Vision and other shooting accessories.
US importer/distributor of Rudolph Optics
Supporting bad financial decisions since 2015
dr_boogs
AG
Willing to post your recipe?
JeremiahJohnson
AG
I kind of just wing it. 275 for 10 min per pound as a guide or until right temp.

For baste and injection I mix a few meltedsticks of butter, Louisiana hotsauce, squeeze an orange, little beer and lemon. Also add Slap your mama and Rosemary. Rub all over and under the skin. Then Inject with the butter mix as well. I stuff it with the oranges and lemons I squeezed and a few sliced apples.

I put it in on a beer can like a beer butt chicken and in a roasting pan. It's pretty much touching the lid of the egg. I baste the turkey with the butter and sauce mix every 20-30 min.

I use pecan chips and smoke for the first 1.5-2 hours. The remaining hour or two is just plain heat from the fire. Just watch the temp and it is near perfect.
dr_boogs
AG
Many thanks!
Aggie_3
TheEyeGuy said:

Screw Thanksgiving turkey. I bought a prime grade ribeye roast and are doing that bad boy this year.

Everybody watch out we have ourselves a billy bad ass over here
TheEyeGuy
Sponsor
AG
Aggie_3 said:

TheEyeGuy said:

Yeah the badass part I punted on. Nearly chucked that sucker in the turkey fryer. Sous vide then sear instead
Owner of Texian Firearms:
Dealer in Firearms, Optics, Night Vision and other shooting accessories.
US importer/distributor of Rudolph Optics
Supporting bad financial decisions since 2015
Aggie_3
TheEyeGuy said:

Aggie_3 said:

TheEyeGuy said:

Yeah the badass part I punted on. Nearly chucked that sucker in the turkey fryer. Sous vide then sear instead

Deep fried Prime Rib is damn good
chjoak
AG
Smoked spatchcock turkey
DayAg!
S
1. Purchased HEB frozen Turkey Tuesday @ approximately 19:00 hrs.
2. Let Turkey thaw all Tuesday night and most of Wednesday.
3. Premixed 1lb of ground pork Wednesday evening placed in fridge
4. Deboned Turkey Wednesday night and placed in Apple Sage Brine.
5. Thursday morning 05:30 took turkey out of brine, rinsed and placed on counter.
6. Took ground pork and flattened into the spread turkey.
7. Rolled turkey and pork into a shape of a jelly roll and tied with butchers twine to hold in rolled position.
8. Placed on propane smoker with Cherry chips and water pan in place.
9. Temp was appoximately 295 for 2 hrs then dropped heat to 275 to finish. Meat temps where @ 160
10. Removed from smoker and let sit about 1 hr. then covered with foil to keep warm until cut time.
11. ????
12 Profit.

Best thing I've ever made on a smoker and thats saying a lot. Oh and I have a Maverick temp system. And Masterbuilt Propane smoker. I've cooked for over 40 years on wood smokers and I've never achieved the results like I have with this smoker. Absolutely the easiest thing I've ever used. Coupled with the temp monitoring system and I sit at my tv and dont even have to go outside until it's time to spritz the meat. Temps dont vary once they get stable and it just does all the work. I know you guys like pellet smokers and they are good units but this thing is way more economical than buying pellets. I'll leave a couple of links to my equipment.

https://www.masterbuilt.com/products/mps-340-g-thermotemp-xl-propane-smoker
https://www.maverickthermometers.com/product/xr-50/

"Poor soul, he was just too high strung. I'm afraid the strain was more than he could bear."
Sarge 91
AG

HtownAg92
AG
schmellba99 said:

HtownAg92 said:

Fried, duh.

I smoke birds throughout the year, but Thanksgiving is always fried. Followed by Cornish game hens, wings, and onion rings. I'm intrigued by the idea of fried dressing balls that I heard about recently.
I always make potato chips first to condition the oil, makes for great snacks.

Did some cornish game hens last year - turned out surprisingly well. Have never done onion rings, usually I'm ready for the feast to be over by the time the 3rd or 4th bird is fried.
Turkey and hens were served on TG day and were great. Hens are always a crowd pleaser.

Wings were tasted but mostly saved for the game. I tossed them in a wing sauce (Frank's, granulated garlic, butter and some ghost pepper bbq sauce to up the heat) and then into the air-fryer for about 10 minutes. They were the highlight of the weekend. So good that it almost didn't matter that we went from 7-0 to 28-0 down while eating the first batch.

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.