Outdoors
Sponsored by

Rescue dog- Lab/Pit Bull mix

2,117 Views | 15 Replies | Last: 4 yr ago by ABATTBQ11
Honeybear
How long do you want to ignore this user?
Went to Aggieland Humane Society today with my 15 year old son to find him a dog. We found a friendly fellow. A lab/pit bull mix. 6 months to.a year old. Anybody on the OB have any experience with one. Positives or negatives please. Thanks ahead of time for the info.
MouthBQ98
AG
Train the dog and socialize it, and keep an eye out for any undesirable habits but dogs all have their own personalities. I wouldn't suspect anything unusual from that mix.
hbc07
AG
We have a lab-pit mix that we rescue at about 2mos. We had some issues between 6-18months with him being possessive over toys/food, but through training and age he grew out of it and we learned how to respond to it better.

He still (at 6) will get possessive over new toys for a bit, and does not do well with other dogs around him when food is involved, but now i can be right next to him messing with him while he eats and he mostly doesn't care. Overall, he's an ~85 pound tank who loves to bark out the window at everything, yet is scared ****less of basically everything and runs away from everything he can.

The issues I've seen are issues I believe could occur in any dog, not just because ours is a mix with pit in him.

Pepper Brooks
AG
Ours is lab/pit/shepherd and he's a fantastic dog. Protective of the house but has never been aggressive towards people. All bark and no bite as they say.

He's 75lbs of pure lapdog. A friend found him wandering their neighborhood at around 1yr old and we offered to take him.
RGV AG
AG
Ended up with a what is mostly a Pit, but with probably something else thrown in there. I am not a pit fan, but this dog is the sweetest most friendly dog we have ever had, and we have had a lot of them. 65 pounds of wanna be lapdog.

Only aggression shown has been towards cats, and some other dogs that will wear her out with pestering. She does real well with the 4 other dogs in the house.

The one thing I notice is that she is a people dog, she wants and needs to be with people, she always wants to be with a person for the most part. She will follow me around the house 100% and when I put on shoes to leave she tries to jump in my lap and sit on my shoes.

Some dogs are nerdier than others, keep an eye out for that. Labs are great dogs and most Pits probably are too.
Tagguy
AG
RGV AG said:

Some dogs are nerdier than others, keep an eye out for that.

Cancelled
AG
I agree with the part about being people dogs. Ours has little interest in dogs. He prefers peopleZ
theJonatron
AG
I was told my dog was 100% pit but she definitely has some lab in her. She has longer, silkier hair, and sheds a lot.

She is the best dog I've ever owned and turns 12 next month. She's great with people, other dogs, and my daughter.
phoenix491
AG
I had a Lab/pit mix (also a rescue dog, ~50 pounds full grown) who lived to be 16 and was smarter than several people I know ... I agree with others who have said that socializing and training is important. She was definitely the alpha (or tried to be) in her dealings with other dogs, but loved to be around people and other animals. We introduced another (and much smaller) dog into the family, and they had one scrap in eight years, over food. Once they figured out who was in charge, they were inseparable.

Starting when she was a pup, I made sure to mess with her while she was eating, take things from her mouth, play with her paws, etc., but I've done that with every dog I've had. She had a crazy food drive, and would stop at nothing to get at trash, food on the counter, etc., but not sure that had anything to do with her breed.

She was a great dog and companion, and I wouldn't hesitate to get a similar mix again, provided they were personable and sweet when first interacting with them. (Again, as with any breed.)
oscar9
AG
I know of 2 guys in our area who have 2 lab/pit mix dogs. The dogs are brothers and the owners are father & son. They use the dogs to bird hunt with. I have hunted with the father and son twice. The dogs surprisingly did pretty well at retrieving dove. The father and son also mentioned they are some of the best dogs they've ever had.

I am not fond of the pit side. However, these dogs were well behaved.
NoahAg
MouthBQ98 said:

Train the dog and socialize it, and keep an eye out for any undesirable habits and then wait for it to kill you in your sleep
FIFY
aggiedent
AG
Never owned one but I have a friend who owns one. Just a sweet and loving animal. Is submissive to their smaller dog.
malenurse
AG
The last thing I want to do is hurt you. But, it's still on the list.
BowSowy
AG
I rescued a pit mix about 8 years ago when I was still in school (we think she's mixed with Shar Pei but not totally sure). She was a year old and was a ball of energy for a good 5 years. Best dog I've ever owned, though. She's never had issues being around my parents' dogs, dogs at the dog park, small children, etc. The only problem we ever had in those early years was the fact that she would chase down a ball thrown for another dog and bring it to us.

As she's gotten older, she's gotten a lot more stubborn. We tried to bring another rescue in our house and it clearly wasn't going to work. Guess she's just too set in her ways.
LEJ
NoahAg said:

MouthBQ98 said:

Train the dog and socialize it, and keep an eye out for any undesirable habits and then wait for it to kill you in your sleep
FIFY

If I ever get a pit bull, I'll name it Trogdor, The Burninator
ABATTBQ11
AG
NoahAg said:

MouthBQ98 said:

FIFY

He said dog, not cat.
ABATTBQ11
AG
We fostered a 1 year old pit for 6 months a few years ago and would have kept him if we could. He was super cuddly and great with kids, our boxer, and our cat. When our boxer would lay on her bed, he'd crawl up next to her and between her front paws to be the little spoon. He ton a little training to learn to sit, lay down, and walk on leash, but he did great once he got those down.

The only problem was that he had terrible farts. Like, make your eyes water and give you a taste of vomit in the back of your mouth farts. He also looked to chew a lot, but he was also still in the puppy phase.
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.