Outdoors
Sponsored by

Shipping Containers are Outdoors

3,752 Views | 23 Replies | Last: 4 yr ago by John1248
Corps_Ag12
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
How much do shipping containers usually run? Looking at one for the deer lease if anyone can give me some insight. Thinking a standard 40' container that's wind & water tight.

TIA!
AgEng06
AG
Depends on how big you want (20' or 40'), what condition you want it in, and how far it needs to travel. All that said, probably somewhere between $3-6k.

Ha, you edited w/ more info during my reply.
JB
AG
I see lots of them on Craigslist with delivery included
Ag_07
AG
We have one at our place. The guys before me bought and outfitted it so not sure how much they paid.

It's great for a cabin. We've got the first 15' built out as storage then behind a framed out door the remaining 25' is living space. It's enough room for a couple sets of bunks and an air mattress. We just finished spraying the interior with spray foam insulation and it holds temp inside like a champ.
Bottlerocket
AG
I paid 2,600 for a 20 foot, with new paint and vents, including delivery. Guy was out of Paris tx
Our 4-H Club just got a 20' for $2800 delivered in Moore Co.
aTm2004
AG
Wrong thread. But will be following out of curiosity.
kenneu
AG
Between 2000 and 3000 heavily used depending on condition and amount of "fix up" work that has been done. I paid 4500 for a one-trip that looked brand new about 5 years ago but prices have gone up because of steel tariffs. They will eventually rust pinholes so they aren't a long-term solution but they offer some really fast, relatively cheap, very secure storage quickly.

If you get one in very good condition and build something to cover and keep the water from pooling on top in the little crevices, they will last a very long time before they finally rust through.

Knowing what i know now about them, they only thing I'd use it for is secure storage and just make sure the roof is in really good shape and get as cheap as possible.
Buck Compton
AG
kenneu said:

Between 2000 and 3000 heavily used depending on condition and amount of "fix up" work that has been done. I paid 4500 for a one-trip that looked brand new about 5 years ago but prices have gone up because of steel tariffs. They will eventually rust pinholes so they aren't a long-term solution but they offer some really fast, relatively cheap, very secure storage quickly.

If you get one in very good condition and build something to cover and keep the water from pooling on top in the little crevices, they will last a very long time before they finally rust through.

Knowing what i know now about them, they only thing I'd use it for is secure storage and just make sure the roof is in really good shape and get as cheap as possible.
At our land, we've been debating three welded together in a U-shape with a covered area between them, then cover the entire outside in bedliner or something similar to avoid the rust issue.

But at that point, we can't decide if it's just cheaper to build a small cabin.
fightingfarmer09
https://derksenbuildings.com/

Add in a nice carport and you have a great setup for the price of a shipping container.
kenneu
AG
Buck Compton said:

At our land, we've been debating three welded together in a U-shape with a covered area between them, then cover the entire outside in bedliner or something similar to avoid the rust issue.

But at that point, we can't decide if it's just cheaper to build a small cabin.
With all that labor, I'd just build the cabin/garage... You are talking about spending about 8 grand for outer walls on three sides. You'd still have to have something for the front if you want to enclose and it will have a dirt foundation. That's just the outers. You'll still have to buy or build trusses, roofing, plywood, doors, etc.

Note that shipping containers will sweat profusely in the rapid heat/cool seasons we have. Most people will tell you that you have to seal the inside metal with a thin coating of closed cell foam insulation to prevent condensation damage but I supposed bedlinder would do it, too. I suspect enough bedliner to cover the entire container won't be cheap. And it'll still be welded shipping containers. The inside width is a little less than 8' and once you insulate or frame, they are awfully narrow.

If you have the skills and time, the labor is by far the most expensive part of building from the ground up... save yourself a ton and get it done right.
Corps_Ag12
AG
Thanks for all the responses, really just need something besides a barn or cover for all the equipment that you typically leave on the lease.
jtp01
AG
Where did you get that container? I'm in Moore Co. and need one for storage for our cattle chute.
jeremy360
Last year. 2700. Delivered. 40ft high cube. Get the high cube. Well worth it. Guy out of montgomery. It was in really great shape. Dorrs. Seals. No roof welded patchwork or anything.
JYDog90
AG
fightingfarmer09 said:

Add in a nice carport and you have a great setup for the price of a shipping container.

It's a she shed!
Formerly Willy Wonka
AgLA06
AG
willie wonka said:

fightingfarmer09 said:

It's a she shed!

Great concept, Y2K era website. Who the hell thinks requiring people to order a catalog instead of just putting the options on the website is a good idea?

I'd totally go this route for a cabin on some property in the mountains.
909Ag2006
AG
Just got a 40 footer delivered from Laredo Containers for $2200
"They weren't raiding a Girl Scout troop looking for overdue library books."
highlonesomeaggie
AG
jtp01 said:

Where did you get that container? I'm in Moore Co. and need one for storage for our cattle chute.
Dale's Rental and storage. Don't have the number but he has a container with his contact info on a lot in Dumas, just North of the Taco Bell.
jtp01
AG
Awesome! Thanks so much!
Todd 02
AG
I have a little insight on this matter. Here's my resume.

I have three 20 footers. Two are built out as cabins and the third is a cookhouse. I power them with generators.

Some pros: better apparent security (nothing is perfectly secure), instant shell, rodent proof, dark as night inside so easy to sleep...

Some cons: more expensive than traditional construction, not wasp proof, still quite a bit of work to make nice inside, small...I mean tiny small

First of all, I hate the generators. It was gonna cost me $7,500 to get power to where I wanted the cabins. I bought three generators and can buy a lot of gas for that. But I'd pay it twice so I wouldn't have to crawl out of bed at 4:00a when it's 15F outside to fill an empty gas tank.

Secondly, I wish I'd gone with 40 footers. But at the end of the day, they're still only 8 feet wide. Once you cram two adults, three kids, and two dogs in one, there's not much room left.

It sucks to have to walk outside to go to the cookhouse in the morning. I wish they were more "all-in-one". (First world problems.)

All that said, I still choose them over anything else for the security aspect. I'm looking at the possibility of relocating them to a spot where I can get power run to cheaper. Also considering putting them side by side, cutting access, and welding them together.

I've got about $10,000 in these so far. I'm kinda stuck with them. Wife said I could build something else but I don't need both. Might could sell em to the right person. Probably just try the above and see what happens.
AgLA06
AG
1) I'm pretty sure you can buy external gas tanks to increase your run time on the generators.

2) Welding them together and cutting internal doorways is the way to go. Just keep in mind my understanding is your going to have to add structural support just like in a house to frame out the opening and have a way to weld them together.
aTm2004
AG
AgLA06 said:

1) I'm pretty sure you can buy external gas tanks to increase your run time on the generators.
Yep. We used to run 2 Honda 2000's paralleled together for tailgating and we had one of these external tanks and only had to refill the tank early in the season when the AC was running a lot.

Tank
Todd 02
AG
They do indeed.

I've got to move the durn things to put them together so I figure I'll just move them closer to the well. Then I get running water and electricity.

The generators are nicer than having nothing. We slept in an uninsulated cabin with a wood burning stove before kids. But I'm ready to lose the hum and get back to the eerie silence of the outdoors.
DE4D
AG
Why not just buy one more and turn them to make a square with secure interior courtyard. Could easily cover that area and open up living space a lot.
John1248
AG
Metro Containers in Brenham. They can add roll up doors and walk through doors for you if you want. Ive bought two 40 ft and 5 20 ft from them.
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.