Outdoors
Sponsored by

Early Colorado Elk

1,807 Views | 10 Replies | Last: 4 yr ago by danieljustin06
BradMtn346
How long do you want to ignore this user?
So we have a private land only season here that is valid on our summer pasture from mid August to mid November. My cousin always pulls that tag because he knows he can find an opening in his work schedule.

He got here the 4th. Very windy the first night. Nothing moving, same the next morning. By Saturday it had calmed down. A small group of elk came out of the brush. The bull gave my cousin quite a show. Bugled a lot. One cow broke away from the herd he shot her because she was about to get down wind of him. The rest had no idea what happened.

I didn't get there in time to capitalize on the elk hanging around after the shot, but 2 nights later this lone cow showed up.

One of the biggest cows I have ever killed. Dry. Dressed she weighed 420 pounds.

The real fun started the next Saturday when the either sex season opened for myself and my buddy's daughter. I had an elk in the cooler, so she was the priority. We both had private land tags. I put a herd to bed on BLM Saturday morning. They went out an unexpected, but ok way. Thanks to my cousin, being done and on a high point glassing, we readjusted. Almost screwed it up, but backed out quick enough.

Kristyn had an opportunity at a bull last year. 280 to 300 inch range, but just couldn't get it together. Kudos to her for not taking an uncomfortable shot. She practiced a lot more. After repositioning and waiting almost 2 hour, the herd finally started to move. They saw the herd bull. He went behind a juniper. Dad told her that when he stepped into the next opening, he would cow call and stop him.

Eeeew,BANG! Yes. The bull was stopped. For at least a half a second before the shot. He took 2 steps before he died. Kristyn has her bull.

She was a very happy girl. She is a very reserved young lady, but this is the biggest smile I have ever seen, and it warms my heart to have been a small part of that.

I had to use the orange pack frame. Don't like it much, but it got the job done.

Her and dad, skinning.
Log
AG
That orange pack frame really sucks.
BradMtn346
Log said:

That orange pack frame really sucks.

Shifting front 4th to 5th will damn near throw your back out.
Newoldarmy
AG
Awesome
giddings_ag_06
Milwaukees Best Light
TxSquarebody
Dirty-8-thirty Ag
RCR06
AG
Great post
stdeb11
AG
Awesome!
cupofjoe04
AG
Spectacular! Awesome hunting, and passing on the tradition!!!!
danieljustin06
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.