Outdoors
Sponsored by

Monthly range drills (with prizes!)

6,391 Views | 63 Replies | Last: 4 yr ago by dubi
BenderRodriguez
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
TheEyeGuy said:

I'll donate $25 extra giftcard on the black market this month if we have at least ten people do it.

So far it's looking like you're going to save $25
TheEyeGuy
Sponsor
AG
Offer still stands for the next month we get to people practicing!
Owner of Texian Firearms:
Dealer in Firearms, Optics, Night Vision and other shooting accessories.
US importer/distributor of Rudolph Optics
Supporting bad financial decisions since 2015
BenderRodriguez
AG
TheEyeGuy said:

Offer still stands for the next month we get to people practicing!

Love it, thanks!

I shot it today, but I don't count so we still need 10 this month.
BenderRodriguez
AG
It was cold and rainy today. But that's no excuse to not go shooting.

The guns:

Passed strong hand at 10 yards with the HK45c.
Failed weak hand at 10. 6/10. Really bad. Then got mad and tried again. 9/10. Still failed. So weak hand, 10 yards is the best I could do with it.

Just picked this gun up, so I'm hopeful with more time to learn the trigger (today was literally the first time I shot it), I can do better. When I shot the gun a bit to get to know it before filming some drills, I did like it. It's an accurate bugger, so sadly going 6/10 is 100% on me.

Passed at 15 yard both strong and weak hand only with the Shadow 2.

Failed at 20 yards strong hand only. Didn't try weak hand at 20 because if I'm not passing strong hand, passing weak hand would only happen as a lucky fluke at best.

Video of just the failures (10 yards weak hand with HK45c twice, 20 yards strong hand with CZ).

ETA: I apologize for the blurry video toward the end. Rain got a little heavier and I didn't wipe the lens before filming. Doh.

wreckt01
Nice. I'll be attempting this tomorrow.
TheEyeGuy
Sponsor
AG
I am trying to make it a point to get out to the range Sunday. I just got a new CZ in... SP-01 Shadow Duo Tone from CZ Customs....

https://czcustom.com/czc-shadow-target-duo-match.html

It and the bull shadow need to have some range time together....
wreckt01
Today's results:
10 yards: strong hand 10/10, weak 9/10
15 yards: strong hand 10/10, weak 3/10
20 yards: strong hand 4/10

I used my Glock 43 with the deltapoint and still struggled.
johnrth
Tried it out today. Used my Glock 17 and EAA Witness .40. Thought I had enough stuff to put together a make shift target in the bed of my truck but didn't so I had to resort to sharpening twigs and stabbing them into a hay bail. It worked flawlessly.

I didn't really record my failures but there were a few. I've never tried shooting one handed so it was quite fun. Here are my passes. And they're no where near the grouping Bender would have.

Glock 17. First attempt passed at 5yrds.

I then moved back to 10 yards and consistently was getting 7/10 with the Glock.

Changed guns to the EAA Witness and scored 10/10 @ 10yards.

Went back to 5 yards with the Glock to try left and failed a couple of times before I passed with a 10/10

Played around with the left hand with the EAA and couldn't master it.

Then went to 15yards and shot 3/10 with the right hand and gave up.

All and all it was a good fun practice. Will try again another day!

OLD hay bails stop 9mm, .40, and 5.56 pretty well. Out of 75-100 rounds I had 4 go through. I had a large piece of cardboard behind the bail to see if I was having any rounds go through.
BenderRodriguez
AG
TheEyeGuy said:

I just got a new CZ in... SP-01 Shadow Duo Tone from CZ Customs....

That's a purty gun.
BenderRodriguez
AG
wreckt01 said:

Today's results:
10 yards: strong hand 10/10, weak 9/10
15 yards: strong hand 10/10, weak 3/10
20 yards: strong hand 4/10

I used my Glock 43 with the deltapoint and still struggled.

I need to shoot this with my G43 next time I'm out.

Weak hand stuff is hard, because we never practice it.

Until we do. And then we suck at it, hate it, and don't practice it.

And the cycle continues.
BenderRodriguez
AG
johnrth said:

All and all it was a good fun practice. Will try again another day!

Love the inventive way to hang targets.

Glad you enjoyed it. That's why I'm doing this, to find new drills to shoot, both for other people and myself.

Any chance to do something new is a chance to learn.
DVC2010
AG
Bender, could you update the OP each month with the current drill? It's going to get hard to dig through this thread for the latest details.
AggieGunslinger
AG
I think it might be best to just start a new thread, maybe sticky each month if enough people follow.
maverick2076
I'm hoping to get out and try this one. I just picked up a Steyr M9A1 and I need to get to the range.
TheEyeGuy
Sponsor
AG
BenderRodriguez said:

TheEyeGuy said:

I just got a new CZ in... SP-01 Shadow Duo Tone from CZ Customs....

That's a purty gun.

I just got money whipped out of it today. Hadn't even gotten to shoot it. Oh well, another is already on order
BenderRodriguez
AG
DVC2010 said:

Bender, could you update the OP each month with the current drill? It's going to get hard to dig through this thread for the latest details.

Yeah I"ll do that tonight for November.

Starting in December I'm going to take Gunslinger's advice and just do a new monthly thread, I think.
Mr. Dubi
I shot the drill today with three guns: M&P CORE/RMR, M&P pro, and a Shield 9. I haven't really used iron sights in the last five years and my results show it.

I got 10/10 at 5 and 10 yards and 9/10 right, 8/10 at 1t yards using the CORE. 10/10 at 5 yards, 10/10 right and 7/10 at 10 yards, 7/10 right and 3/10 at 15 yards with the M&P pro. With the Shield I got 9/9 right, 7/9 left at 5 yards, 6/9 right and left at 10 yards, at 15 yards 5/9 right and 2/9.

I didn't bring enough papers to use a fresh sheet every time, so I had a hard time calling my hits on the used targets, not sure how much it would have helped though. I also didn't have enough ammo to shoot the full test with the Shield, that's why I only shot 9 shot strings with it.

I t might have helped to have a real target to index on, but everyone else was shooting the same blank sheet, so it is fair.
BenderRodriguez
AG
Pictures needed to be in the drawing!
DVC2010
AG
This was a really good drill for me. I took a long hiatus from serious shooting when I moved back to Texas, and I picked up a really terrible flinch that I've had a hard time correcting.

I passed strong-hand at 10 and 15 yards. My shots were hitting a little above my point of aim, which at least means I wasn't squeezing the pistol right before the shot broke. At least until I went to 20. I'm pretty sure I failed that one on the first shot for that very reason. I was with a new shooter, and I didn't want to monopolize the range time, so I didn't try again at 20 or do anything left-handed.

BenderRodriguez
AG
I always struggle with the mental aspects of shooting.

Part of why I picked this drill is how mental it is. I took a class where we shot a B8 target at 25 yards. Same deal, no time limit. Afterwards, everyone had hits in the white.

Instructor is a big "outcome vs performance" guy, and said the reason all of us had hits in the white is we were concerned with the outcome, focused on what we didn't want to hit...and therefore hit what we were focused on. We shot the drill again and everyone improved, by focusing on getting a good sight alignment/trigger press instead of worrying about where the shots were going to hit.

I'm a true believer in performance focus over outcome focus. But I struggle with it a lot. For example, last week when I decided to break in a new pistol with this drill.

Here was my first shot at 10 yards strong hand only.

I was trying to focus on performance, but I stupidly also set a goal of no hits outside the black. It only took until my 4th shot for that mentality to get me. Here's the final target:

The gun is clearly capable of nothing but 10 ring hits at 10 yards. But mentally, I wasn't capable of it that day.

Ironically, once I blew it with the 4th shot into the 8 ring, it was really easy to focus on performance and finish strong, since the outcome was already ruined.

If you get a chance, shoot this drill again focusing as much as you can on the best sight alignment/trigger pull you can achieve each shot, and don't worry about the results. I bet you'll improve quite a bit from the first time you shot this drill.
Mr. Dubi
I tried the drill again today. I shot from 10, 15 and 20 yards using my M&P CORE & M&P pro.

At 10 yards I went 10/10 both guns, both hands

At 15 yards; 10/10 with the CORE right, 7/10 CORE left, and 8/10 both left and right with the iron sights.

At 20 8/10 right and 7/10 left with the CORE, 7/10 left and 6/10 right with irons

BenderRodriguez
AG
November entries for the drawing:

MrDubi
DVC2010
johnrth

I"ll grab a winner tomorrow.

I'll also post a new drill tomorrow, in a new thread to make things easier to follow.

In the spirit of Christmas, prize for this month will be really good. And a surprise.
johnrth
Wreckt01 did the drill as well. He didn't post photos but had the stats up.
BenderRodriguez
AG
johnrth said:

Wreckt01 did the drill as well. He didn't post photos but had the stats up.

He did. Mr Dubi did the same last month for the October drill, and I didn't enter him into last months draw because the one rule is post a pic of the target.

I know they're both standup guys, and I know both of them shot the drill. But this is also the forum mfbarnes lied his ass off on for months/years.

Requiring a picture of the target every month is my only way of keeping an mfbarnes type from chiming and and saying he shot it to get into the drawing without actually doing anything every month. I hate that I have to think that way on a forum of mostly Aggies, and I hate that sticking to that rule keeps me from entering guys I know aren't lying about shooting it into the drawing when they don't post pics, but.....that's the one rule, and I'm sticking to it.
johnrth
Ahh got ya. I missed the photos required.
CactusThomas
AG
I have also participated in both month's drills. I haven't ever learned to post pictures and I'm not particularly interested in winning any prizes. I just like to shoot.
BenderRodriguez
AG
CactusThomas said:

I have also participated in both month's drills. I haven't ever learned to post pictures and I'm not particularly interested in winning any prizes. I just like to shoot.

Glad you're shooting them.
wreckt01
Haha, I was just lazy and forgot the photos and expected to be out of the drawing. I'll get my butt in gear and post them next time.

Looking forward to this months new drill.
BenderRodriguez
AG
Congrats to MrDubi!

Shoot me a message or an email (g3kcz75@gmail.com)

and I'll get an amazon gift card to you.

I'm about to post for December, but going to do it in a new thread each month from now on to keep things from getting to hard to read/find.
dubi
AG
WOOHOO, Mr Dubi is a winner!

I have PM'd you since he does not have stars.
Refresh
Page 2 of 2

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.