Outdoors
Sponsored by

Monthly range drills (with prizes!)

6,398 Views | 63 Replies | Last: 4 yr ago by dubi
BenderRodriguez
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
The Rules:

Post a picture of your target(s) from the monthly drill I'll post. Share how you did, what you learned, any restrictions you had to shoot with due to range rules or other considerations, etc.

At the end of every month, everyone (except for me) who shot the drill (or as close to it as they could given their range rules and equipment) will be thrown into a hat. I'll draw a winner and send them a $25 amazon gift card (or something similar if I get bored with that one), just for working on becoming a better shooter.

That's it. Hopefully this can be just a fun way to do something different at the range for folks, with a bonus of maybe winning a little something.
BenderRodriguez
AG
October Drill: 5x5 by Gila Hayes.

Distance: 5 yards
Rounds: 5
Par time: 5 seconds
Target: a 5" circle.

Printable target PDF here: http://loungecdn.luckygunner.com/lounge/media/5x5-drill.pdf
Alternatively, a CD is 4.7" in diameter. Trace that on a target. The black center of a B-8 target is 5.5", so that could work too. Long story short, if you can't print off the target there are ways to get close enough for government work. I won't get mad if you have homemade targets.

If you don't have a shot timer, a phone timer with an alarm set for 6 or 7 seconds (or whatever additional time you need to get your phone down and in a ready position after starting the timer) would work okay for this drill.

Starting position for the drill is dependent on your experience level and range rules. If you cannot or are not comfortable drawing from a holster, start in the low ready position (hands on gun, gun lowered and not already lined up on the target). If you can and want to, start with a holstered gun, open or concealed.

Ideally, you want to shoot this drill 5 times as well. Partially because apparently everything has to be 5 with this drill, but mostly because what this drill is testing is our ability to consistently put rounds downrange in a semi accurate manner in a limited amount of time. You might get lucky once, but doing it 5 times in a row requires good trigger and recoil control.

I was hoping to have already shot this one and have a demo results post to share, but I haven't had time to shoot it yet. I'll be shooting it on Thursday and add my results then. You have until Oct 31st to shoot it, take a pic, post it and share your experience. I'll draw for the gift card Nov 1st and post a new drill. Hope everyone has fun (and as always, be safe)!

ETA November Drill:

November Drill: Fail this drill by Bender

Distance: Pick your poison
Rounds: 10
Par time: None (at first)
Target: Standard letter paper (8.5"x11")

I want to do something this month that almost no one practices enough: one handed shooting. No par times, no set distance. Just working on sight alignment and trigger pull one handed. Pick a distance you think you can go 10 for 10 unsupported one hand only, and try it. Any hits outside the 8.5"x11" paper=failed drill.

For some perspective, there is still a centerfire handgun bullseye sport like this. Their 10 ring in that competition (shot at 25 meters) is under 2", so an 8x5"x11" target is very generous.

Now here's where the drill name and the idea for this month comes from: Don't just shoot this once at 5 yards, pat yourself on the back and move on. Push yourself to failure. Find your failure point. Document it, work on one hand shooting occasionally moving forward and now you have a metric to measure progress against.

My recommended leveling up challenge: Push distance first. Once you can clear the letter paper at 25 yards, try it again with the 5" target from last month. Or try it with your non dominant hand instead. Or put a 30 second par time on it. Or a combination if that's what it takes.

Unless you can go 10 for 10 on a 5" target with your weak hand with a 30 second par time at 25 yards, you should be able to find a way to fail this drill. If you can do that, well...holy crap! You're awesome.
tamc93
wreckt01
trip98
AG
sounds cool. hoping to get out to hill country for some shooting this weekend so this looks like fun. Although I printed the targets and they are about 4 inches in diameter....not 5. Still will work and be tougher challenge which is something I don't need!!! Might be my printer though so maybe someone else check
CactusThomas
AG
Can you post a link to a reputable shot timer that you like?
BenderRodriguez
AG
Just measured the ones I printed. 5" from edge to edge. Maybe make sure full size pdf is open before you print from it and check to make sure it isn't scaled down from 100%?

Not an IT guy so that's about all the help I can be, sorry.
BenderRodriguez
AG
CED 7000 is currently $129 at midwayusa and double alpha academy, $139 at Amazon and Brownells.
CactusThomas
AG
Thanks
BenderRodriguez
AG
I'd link but on a phone with a cracked screen protector and it's a PITA to get it to copy/paste or I'd actually link.

Figured that would get you pointed in the right direction though.
Agshooter05
[url=.html][/url]

This was the highlight of my shooting career. At the start of this match they had the Bob Lee soup can challenge. They gave you a distance of 1,000 yds but didn't tell you what you were shooting at or where the target was positioned. You had 1 minute to run up the hill, be told what the target was, acquire the target, make your wind call, and send your shot. I was shooting my .223 with 80 gr ELD's. To hit a soup can Cold Bore at 1,000 yds with a 223 is up there for my most memorable moments with a rifle in my hands...

(Not really a post directly about range drills but there were countless hours of range drills leading up to this moment)
wreckt01
Got out to the range with a buddy. I had him run the stop watch, and I shot from low ready as we are not permitted to draw from a holster at my range.

wreckt01
Lesson learned: I tend to be a little low left when shooting on the timer. Also didn't feel as smooth through the pull, which is likely the reason. Overall was a fun drill and as expected pointed out a weakness to work on.
BenderRodriguez
AG
Good shooting! Glad you found it useful.

ETA: low left could also indicate recoil anticipation. Easy thing to do when trying to shoot faster. Either way, you shot well.

For anyone else, don't hesitate to post even if you don't go 5/5. It's not a crazy hard drill but I've absolutely seen people fail it. It's a smaller target and faster shooting than most folks have bothered to do before if you're not a big competition/training class type.
BenderRodriguez
AG
I need to start a list or I'll forget someone at the end of the month for the drawing.

October drill shooters (as of 11/1):
wreckt01
Zaiquiri
OhAggie98
BenderRodriguez
AG

I know this looks like a pass (barely), but it's actually a fail.

I'll get video uploaded tonight, but I shot my first run in 5.13 seconds, so I failed the par time.
BenderRodriguez
AG
And video:

So about those dance moves on camera...I was shooting a Glock 43 from concealment using a AIWB holster. After hitting start on the timer hanging around my neck (with random delay so I don't anticipate the beep), I was throwing it around to my back so it wasn't in the way of my draw. So I had to swing it back around front to check the time after each string...thus the range funky chicken.

I was once told by a much better shooter than me that if you're given a certain amount of time to do something...try to use it all. So if you're shooting something with no time limit, take your sweet time and be as accurate as possible. If you have a 5 second par time, take 4.8 seconds of those 5 to make sure you make good hits. He really stressed accuracy over speed. It's something I continue to struggle with, but I try.

Well, my hits were okay, and I went over the par time once. So, not my best effort here. But honestly, if I was looking for all bullseye hits, I would have used a full size CZ and shot from the low ready. I wanted to push myself a little and shoot this drill from concealment with a smaller gun.

I need to repeat it with my J frame next time I get to the range. That'll be a real fun challenge.
Zaiquiri
AG
I took my 19-4 out this weekend while squirrel hunting. I've been practicing with it as much as possible with hopes of taking some hog and deer with it this Fall. I figured it'd be fun to practice this drill with it even though I had my carry piece with me.

I used the ISPC Shot Timer app: https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.stimer

I downloaded the app last weekend. I don't have a normal shot timer and have never used one before and the app does not have many instructions so it took me a bit to play with it and get it set up. It doesn't have a save function yet but a screenshot worked well enough.

My settings:
"Threshhold" - 113 (I guess this is decibel, you can set it low for dry firing)
Random Start (sec) - 10 (I wanted time to drop my phone into a shirt pocket and refocus)
Minimum (%) - 70 (I think a higher percentage meant it waited closer, more or less, to 10 seconds)
Echo delay (sec) - 0.15 (I don't know the point of this, I left it how i found it.

I ran the drill the same way I carry my 19-4 in the woods, OWB holster, shirt tucked behind holster, and the, thumbstrap off and folded out of the way. I shot cheap FMJ .38 special

I shot the first target five times with a timer to get my bearings. I felt like I would rather shoot a full cylinder so I shot 6 for the 5X5. I learned I need to practice individual portions. It felt like I was trying to do everything at once. I lost focus on 5/5 and pulled my last two shots.
BenderRodriguez
AG
Good shooting! That app worked okay for you? Might be something for those without timers to try.

I'll add you to the list.
Zaiquiri
AG
App worked great once I figured out the settings. I have amplified earmuffs and it was easy to hear the starting beep. I'd be willing to pay a few bucks for it.

Thanks for posting the drill! I've wanted to start doing something and this was a great incentive. Looking forward to next month's.
BenderRodriguez
AG
Zaiquiri said:

. Looking forward to next month's.

Me too.

For anyone wanting to prepare, I'll drop a hint: it's a slow fire drill. No time limits, but big on accuracy. Any bullseye shooters out there will love it.
OhAggie98
AG
Just saw this. I'm excited to get out and do this and also try the shot timer app shown above.
Mr. Dubi
I shot it at Champion yesterday, but feel like I was cheating, since I got to start from low ready and was using my M&P CORE with RMR. All hits were inside the 5" rings, slowest time was 3.5 sec...

Will try outdoors with a carry gun if I can find time.
BenderRodriguez
AG
Week left bump.
CactusThomas
AG
I ran through this drill several times. I'll try to get some pictures up later.
BenderRodriguez
AG
Yeah there's a reason I shot this with the 43 and not the RMR and comp equipped 19.

I've done it with that gun before and it's not even a challenge at this speed/distance.

But because of the nature of this thread (and trying to accommodate a variety of shooters, all with different range/equipment restrictions), not every drill ever month will be a challenge to every shooter.

As presented, at least. But you can always find ways to make a drill challenging. Add distance, reduce time limits, reduce the size of targets, use a harder to shoot gun....
OhAggie98
AG
A day late, so if I didn't meet the deadline for the drawing that's ok.

I used my phone timer and from the time I hit start to looking back down at my phone, I was generally in the 6 second range.

Indoor range, so started at low ready, off hand on phone, phone setting on shooting bench. I didn't use the timer app shown above as the rifle in the bay next to me was louder than my handgun and it wouldn't have timed correctly.

I started cold, no practice shots. CZ PO1, all shots single action. I tended to shoot my first shot to the left.

Definitely rushed the first shot as I completely missed. Second try, had one hit the border.

Third and fourth attempts. Better third attempt. Fourth attempt my first shot was rushed again.

Fifth attempt similar to my fourth, first shot rushed.

GeorgiAg
AG
Can't low ready or holster draw from the range I go to.
BenderRodriguez
AG
OhAggie98, went ahead and snuck you in there for October.

Congrats to Wreckt01! Shoot me a message or an email (g3kcz75@gmail.com) with an email address and I'll send a amazon gift card your way.
BenderRodriguez
AG
GeorgiAg said:

Can't low ready or holster draw from the range I go to.

How does a range work that doesn't allow you to shoot from the low ready? Can't lower the gun off target between strings of fire except to put it on the table? I don't think I've ever been to any range where you couldn't at least start with the pistol pointed at the base of the target and bring it up lined up with something October target sized.

I'm doing my best to make these drills doable by most shooters at most ranges. But the goal of this thread and these drills are to give folks ideas/challenges with a pistol that might be useful for your average CHL carrier, outside of just shooting a static B27 at 10 yards at an indoor range until you make a nice basketball sized hole in the middle.

If your range is so restrictive that you can't do basic things like shoot from a low ready position, I'm not sure what I can do about it. It sounds like it's time to find a better range. Sorry.
BenderRodriguez
AG
November Drill: Fail this drill by Bender

Distance: Pick your poison
Rounds: 10
Par time: None (at first)
Target: Standard letter paper (8.5"x11")

I want to do something this month that almost no one practices enough: one handed shooting. No par times, no set distance. Just working on sight alignment and trigger pull one handed. Pick a distance you think you can go 10 for 10 unsupported one hand only, and try it. Any hits outside the 8.5"x11" paper=failed drill.

For some perspective, there is still a centerfire handgun bullseye sport like this. Their 10 ring in that competition (shot at 25 meters) is under 2", so an 8x5"x11" target is very generous.

Now here's where the drill name and the idea for this month comes from: Don't just shoot this once at 5 yards, pat yourself on the back and move on. Push yourself to failure. Find your failure point. Document it, work on one hand shooting occasionally moving forward and now you have a metric to measure progress against.

My recommended leveling up challenge: Push distance first. Once you can clear the letter paper at 25 yards, try it again with the 5" target from last month. Or try it with your non dominant hand instead. Or put a 30 second par time on it. Or a combination if that's what it takes.

Unless you can go 10 for 10 on a 5" target with your weak hand with a 30 second par time at 25 yards, you should be able to find a way to fail this drill. If you can do that, well...holy crap! You're awesome.
TheEyeGuy
Sponsor
AG
I'll donate $25 extra giftcard on the black market this month if we have at least ten people do it.
Owner of Texian Firearms:
Dealer in Firearms, Optics, Night Vision and other shooting accessories.
US importer/distributor of Rudolph Optics
Supporting bad financial decisions since 2015
BenderRodriguez
AG
TheEyeGuy said:

I'll donate $25 extra giftcard on the black market this month if we have at least ten people do it.

Love it! If we get 10 I'll pay to add another $25 to that, so the November prize is potentially $50 to Texian.

Get your guns and cameras out to the range!
wreckt01
Awesome! Email sent.
This should be interesting. I practice one handed on occasion, but haven't tried it past 10 yards.
I guarantee I'll find many ways to 'fail'.
BenderRodriguez
AG
wreckt01 said:

Awesome! Email sent.
This should be interesting. I practice one handed on occasion, but haven't tried it past 10 yards.
I guarantee I'll find many ways to 'fail'.

One handed shooting earned me a 0.000 hit factor on a classifier this weekend. Beaning a no shoot on a virginia count stage will do that to ya.

Just sent the gift card to the email you provided. Enjoy!
Page 1 of 2

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.