Outdoors
Sponsored by

WTB: Fly reel and

1,491 Views | 23 Replies | Last: 4 yr ago by JosephMarcus
SquirrellyDan
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
I bought a rod a couple years back, never got around to rigging it up and learning to fly fish. This winter, I'm going to switch over from a spinning rod while fishing for Guadalupe Trout.

Does anyone have a ~5 wt reel they're looking to sell? Thought I'd ask before I go buy a new one.

rather be fishing
AG
What's your budget?
Hewey Calloway
AG
I'm looking for a 5 wt reel as well. I plan on building a 5 wt rod soon. If Squirrelly Dan passes on it, I'd be interested.
rather be fishing
AG
I've got a Galvan Torque 5 I'm looking to sell https://galvanflyreels.com/product/torque/

It's red, which was a special edition color they don't produce anymore. It's been out of the box 1 time.
SquirrellyDan
AG
Would like to keep it 150 or below. I've been looking at new Lamson Liquids, which I've heard great things about and they run around 100.....so I wouldn't want to spend too much more than that.
SquirrellyDan
AG
rather be fishing said:

I've got a Galvan Torque 5 I'm looking to sell https://galvanflyreels.com/product/torque/

It's red, which was a special edition color they don't produce anymore. It's been out of the box 1 time.
That's awesome, but I imagine you'll be looking to get more than I'm willing to spend.
rather be fishing
AG
Link to the Galvan reel on classifieds if anyone is interested https://texags.com/forums/50/topics/3051491
rather be fishing
AG
Yeah, $300 is my lowest price on it.

I've never fished with any of Lamson's reels, but I've heard nothing but good things about them.
Hewey Calloway
AG
Oh man this has me very interested. That is a beautiful reel. How old is the line on the reel?
rather be fishing
AG
Hewey Calloway said:

Oh man this has me very interested. That is a beautiful reel. How old is the line on the reel?
Line isn't included on the reel. It's on my 6wt reel now.
Hewey Calloway
AG
Oh sorry. In your other post it said further down that the line was included.
rather be fishing
AG
Ah, sorry. I can include the line for $25. It's been used on 1 trip to Alaska last week and that's it. Essentially brand new.
Ark03
AG
SquirrellyDan said:

I bought a rod a couple years back, never got around to rigging it up and learning to fly fish. This winter, I'm going to switch over from a spinning rod while fishing for Guadalupe Trout.

Does anyone have a ~5 wt reel they're looking to sell? Thought I'd ask before I go buy a new one.

I don't have one I'd sell, but I'd look at a used Ross Cimarron or Evolution over a Lamson. That'd put you in an American-made reel machined in Colorado, versus a cheap reel stamped overseas somewhere, then "assembled" in the US. You may even get lucky and find a new Cimarron for close to $150 if you shop around.
longeryak
Ark03 said:

SquirrellyDan said:

I don't have one I'd sell, but I'd look at a used Ross Cimarron or Evolution over a Lamson. That'd put you in an American-made reel machined in Colorado, versus a cheap reel stamped overseas somewhere, then "assembled" in the US. You may even get lucky and find a new Cimarron for close to $150 if you shop around.
Ross discontinued the, legendary value, Cimarron last year and they now go for more than they did while in production.
Ark03
AG
longeryak said:

Ark03 said:

SquirrellyDan said:

Ross discontinued the, legendary value, Cimarron last year and they now go for more than they did while in production.
Oof. Obviously I haven't been in the market for one in a while.
AgFlyGuy
AG
Where are you located? Gordy and Sons in Houston has some of the older models marked down 40% (Hatch Gen 1's and some others).
rather be fishing
AG
I'm going to highly recommend that everyone check out Danielsson reels. They ship direct from the factory in Sweden. The owner is the developer of Loop and Sage reels from their start. I biught a F3w 4-7 reel and I got it and a spare spool in hand for under $300. Fully sealed drag, light weight, great prepping so far.
Duncan Idaho
For 5wt, I wouldn't worry about the reel as much as the line. If you want to go machined but cheap and new, The piscifun reels get good reviews.

If you want to go cheap and versatile and dont mind it being cast, the orvis clearwater cassettes are getting good reviews. The lamson liquid 3 packs are tough to beat.

If you want something a little more upscale and still in your process range look on ebay for used orvis battenkill bbs or access reels.

JosephMarcus
If anyone is looking for a Hatch 7 plus gen 2 fly reel, I'm got one that is for sale. Just throwing it out there. Also, has an extra spool.
AgFlyGuy
AG
JosephMarcus said:

If anyone is looking for a Hatch 7 plus gen 2 fly reel, I'm got one that is for sale. Just throwing it out there. Also, had an extra spool.
I need another one like I need a hole in my head, but I'm interested
rather be fishing
AG
Duncan Idaho said:

For 5wt, I wouldn't worry about the reel as much as the line. If you want to go machined but cheap and new, The piscifun reels get good reviews.

If you want to go cheap and versatile and dont mind it being cast, the orvis clearwater cassettes are getting good reviews. The lamson liquid 3 packs are tough to beat.

If you want something a little more upscale and still in your process range look on ebay for used orvis battenkill bbs or access reels.

I have an Orvis Access III I bought during the close out sale after they discontinued them. They are selling for well over the original purchase price on eBay.
Ark03
AG
JosephMarcus said:

If anyone is looking for a Hatch 7 plus gen 2 fly reel, I'm got one that is for sale. Just throwing it out there. Also, has an extra spool.
Just for grins, what's your price? I'm sure it's out of my price range, but it can't hurt to ask.
Duncan Idaho
I bought a IV with a 9wt line for $90 few months ago.

Picked up a hydros sl iii for $150 last month...that is a nice reel.
rather be fishing
AG
I watched a spare spool for a 3 sell for more than I paid for my reel.
JosephMarcus
Ark03 said:

JosephMarcus said:

Just for grins, what's your price? I'm sure it's out of my price range, but it can't hurt to ask.
probably $650 with the spare spool included.
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.