Outdoors
Sponsored by

zero distance for my 300 blk?

21,518 Views | 12 Replies | Last: 4 yr ago by BCStalk
TxAgPreacher
How long do you want to ignore this user?
S
I have a vortex strike eagle scope as was discussed in this thread: https://texags.com/forums/34/topics/2801373.
I was looking at trajectory data for the vastly different bullet weights, and velocities between subs and supers, and It seemed like a 75 yard zero would be optimal. I could be very wrong so I figured I'd ask y'all. Here is the chart I was looking at: ?w=400&h=290. The extremes between the heavy sub sonic rounds and the lighter supers make this a little tricky.

1.What distance should I zero?
2. Have any of y'all figured out the reticle on this scope for the 300blk?
3. when alternating between 1 and 6 power how does this work out for up close home defense use? Is there a bad offset?
CT'97
AG
I would zero at 100 with the supers, then figure out your dope for the subs and have it taped on the butt stock.
BCStalk
I would go to the range and test at 50. I used to have the same setup but don't remember the exact hold over I used from super to sub.

Note that I hunt between 25-75 yards so I chose 50.
tony
AG
What website or app did you use for that graph?
AgySkeet06
AG
I've started using 125gr sups only in my BLK. (Its my "inbetween gun" from using the 55-60gr in 223/556 and the 147 gr in my 6.5 Creedmore)

I like how on your chart a zero at 25yds is also a zero at 150yds and only ~1" high at 75&125 yds. that makes sighting in real easy
Aggieangler93
AG
I don't have a silencer, so I doubt I would ever shoot subsonic rounds, as I think there is no advantage to them without one. Is this correct?

In my case, I sight all my rifles in at 100 yards. More distance will require a hold. I barely ever shoot longer than 100 yards though, so YMMV.
Class of '93 - proud Dad of a '22 grad and a '26 student!
TxAgPreacher
S
I just found this online, and figured it would be close enough for a baseline. I'm going to go out this weekend, and do some testing.
texags08
AG
AgySkeet06 said:

I've started using 125gr sups only in my BLK. (Its my "inbetween gun" from using the 55-60gr in 223/556 and the 147 gr in my 6.5 Creedmore)

I like how on your chart a zero at 25yds is also a zero at 150yds and only ~1" high at 75&125 yds. that makes sighting in real easy

Looks like 25 Yd zero would work best.

Zero at 25 and 150, max looks like 1" maybe a little more between those, and 2" drop at 175 before it falls off the cliff.

Seems like an effective "battle zero".
SMM48
AG
With supers I zero at 30 yards.

115gr controlled chaos
TxAgPreacher
S
So my reasoning was that all of the ammo shoots closest together at 75 yards, and I usually don't shoot past 125 for hunting. A zero at 75 should be pretty close to on 50 yards and 100 yards(my most common shots). I also dont want to have to hold under for any shots I'd rather everything be a hold over. Thanks for the feedback. It's a good point that the subs seem pointless without a suppressor. I'll take that under consideration. I guess I don't see the downside of zeroing at my average shot. Feel free to point out the holes in my logic.
TxAgPreacher
S
I went with a 75 yard zero, but the subs were hitting about 6" low. I may try a 50 yard zero if/ when I get a suppressor.
CS78
You can't zero for multiple different rounds. One might hit way off to the side or no telling where. I sight subsonic in at 50 yards. Forget about subsonics until you have a can though. Full power 300bo is great at 125 sight in. Pick one load. Set that gun up for that load and stick with it. If you decide to change loads, you need to go back to paper to see what it's doing.
JeremiahJohnson
AG
Check out the reticle for this Eotech 300 BLK.

https://www.eotechinc.com/holographic-weapon-sights/model-300
BCStalk

Showed up on my Facebook yesterday
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.