Outdoors
Sponsored by

Fishing After a Storm

3,393 Views | 11 Replies | Last: 4 yr ago by Milwaukees Best Light
SquirrellyDan
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Headed to Galveston (about a quarter mile from San Luis Pass) for a family trip Fri-Mon. I think the storm will have moved on at that point, but what does a lot of rain from a TS do for fishing? I had planned on wade/kayak fishing the bay north of the pass.
Post removed:
by user
Cedar Bayou Ag
AG
if it was just a bunch of tropical moisture that dumped a couple of inches in the bay in a short time, fishing around there would have been fantastic because it cools the water temp down and replenishes the o2 levels in the water. However, this was a pretty big storm that lingered along the gulf coast for a while dumping large amounts of water in the bay system and along the bayous. It will take a while for the large amounts of freshwater to head out to the gulf. Just my thought after guiding along the coast for 10 years and dealing with these type of weather events
SquirrellyDan
AG
Cedar Bayou Ag said:

if it was just a bunch of tropical moisture that dumped a couple of inches in the bay in a short time, fishing around there would have been fantastic because it cools the water temp down and replenishes the o2 levels in the water. However, this was a pretty big storm that lingered along the gulf coast for a while dumping large amounts of water in the bay system and along the bayous. It will take a while for the large amounts of freshwater to head out to the gulf. Just my thought after guiding along the coast for 10 years and dealing with these type of weather events
Yeah that's kind of what I figured. Ah well....I'll give it a shot anyways.
East Dallas Ag
AG
So are you saying its going to suck this weekend regardless or is there any strategy/locations to hit post storm that might help offset the freshwater? For us we'll be in West Bay...
Cedar Bayou Ag
AG
i would say to fish closer to the pass.. for example, we had large amounts of rain in the coastal bend in the mid 2000s that had really brown freshwater all the way from San Antonio Bay south to Bird Island, but as soon as you got to the Lydia Ann Channel and southward towards Corpus Christi Bay, the water greened up and the fish were there.. This lasted for about a week and a half as my memory is correct.. You can always go see how the water clarity looks in West Bay and decide on a plan of action from there.. Just my thoughts
Salt of the water
AG
If you're a trout fan, check the Galveston salinity nowcast. Find the salty water, and you'll find the trout.

https://www.tidesandcurrents.noaa.gov/ofs/ofs_animation.shtml?ofsregion=ng&subdomain=gb&model_type=salinity_nowcast

The noaa site only gives you surface salinity and there may be salty pockets underneath the fresh water but it's better than no info.
SquirrellyDan
AG
I'm assuming this affects surf fishing too? Assuming the conditions are ok, would it be any better in the surf?
Aggieangler93
AG
That Nowcast deal is interesting. The website sucks horribly, as I tried to find the nowcast for POC and Port Aransas for about 15 minutes and gave up! I will have to look at it more later.
Class of '93 - proud Dad of a '22 grad and a '26 student!
SanAntoneAg
AG
Fish gotta eat sometime. At least that's what I tell myself during dreadfully slow spells.
Gig 'em! '90
Funky Winkerbean
AG
If the water levels are still up, work the grass lines behind the pass for reds and flounder.
It is so easy to be wrong—and to persist in being wrong—when the costs of being wrong are paid by others.
Thomas Sowell
Sgt. Hartman
AG
I would fish the surf unless it is too rough
Milwaukees Best Light
AG
Fish the coves on the back side of the island. Water will be fine for reds. Don't go chasing trout in the mid bay. Might also check out the surf, if the wind lays down.
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.