Outdoors
Sponsored by

Fast Growing/Drought Tolerant Shade Tree in South Texas

6,310 Views | 22 Replies | Last: 4 yr ago by Apache
KarlAg05
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
I am looking to plant a few trees next week south of Uvalde. The soil probably isn't the best for larger trees as it is mostly brush and mesquites other than the oaks on the creek bottom. It'll probably be two weeks before they could be watered again after planting if it doesn't rain. What are some fast growing and drought tolerant trees that could be established in this type of environment or is there even such a thing?
BigTex07
AG
Maybe a Mexican Sycamore. They are fast growing and tolerate drought once established but I don't know much about the soil requirements.
rather be fishing
AG
Hackberry, but they're pretty crappy trees. They do grow fast though.
rwv2055
AG
Salt cedar.

J/k
MouthBQ98
AG
Google Texas tree selector and plug in your county and see what it says. Cedar elm might work. Not that fast, but reasonably so, but very drought tolerant
hillcountryag86
AG
Blanket Creek Tree Farm is in Utopia so they are familiar with the area. Very knowledgeable.
Apache
AG
If you don't put water for two weeks on a new tree and it doesn't rain, nothing is gonna live. Don't waste your time unless you're ok with gambling on rain.
ABATTBQ87
AG
hillcountryag86 said:

Blanket Creek Tree Farm is in Utopia so they are familiar with the area. Very knowledgeable.
go with the local nursery knowledge of the area.

I'd suggest desert willows, fast growing, little water requirements, bloom from April thru October
ought1ag
AG
get you some of these....its the only way I've kept my trees at the lake alive

https://www.treediaper.com/?gclid=EAIaIQobChMIrc_xt6va5AIV6R-tBh1fowyAEAAYASAAEgIVxfD_BwE
$240 Worth of Pudding
AG
ABATTBQ87 said:

hillcountryag86 said:

I'd suggest desert willows, fast growing, little water requirements, bloom from April thru October
While a great choice for South Texas, a shade tree it is not.
B-1 83
AG
Valtex Nursery in Uvalde - Jim Biediger
eot
hillcountryag86
AG
Ask about the Mexican White Oak, also called Monterrey Oak. It is native to Mexico, west Texas and south Texas. It is very drought tolerant, fairly rapid growth, and produces a nice canopy about 40 feet in diameter. Although it is tolerant to dry times, like any other young tree, it requires frequent watering during early growth stages. If you aren't at the property, you will have to have someone water or find a system which distributes water regularly until the trees get some maturity.

I am planning to line both sides of a 1200' lane with these trees. I am waiting until the weather cools down to plant.
Allen76
AG
Grafted thornless mesquite have been gaining popularity. Google it. One of them is called Maverick. I think it is a Chilean thornless mesquite grafted onto our Texas (Honey) Mesquite.

I don't think I would do it. But it is an interesting choice which would probably produce some lumber 50 years from now if you wanted that.
CE Lounge Lizzard
AG
B-1 83 said:

Valtex Nursery in Uvalde - Jim Biediger
eot
Good answer.
KarlAg05
AG
Thank you for the replies so far. I spoke with Jim with Valtex Nursery. I am leaning toward the Monterey Oak. After more thought, I will have some hose timers (probably two on a hose set exactly the same for extra security since I'm worried about malfunctioning and burning up the well pumps). Any thoughts on Chinquapin Oaks?
ABATTBQ87
AG
Yelnick McWawa said:

ABATTBQ87 said:

hillcountryag86 said:

While a great choice for South Texas, a shade tree it is not.
I have one in my yard and it does provide some shade; you could always plant 3-5 together and have a really full canopy of maroon trumpets!
Apache
AG
Now that you have water, Monterey Oaks are the best choice in my opinion.
Fast growing
Oak Wilt Resistant
Mast for animals
Nearly Evergreen

They are drought tolerant than Chiquapins in my experience.

Plan on continuing to water even next summer occasionally.
yakin ag
AG
Arizona Cypress is another low-water option. They can be trimmed up into a more traditional tree form.
Apache
AG
Love Arizona Cypress but I've never seen them trimmed up to make a shade tree.
Typically they are pyramidial or columnar in form.... don't know how that would work.
milkman00
AG
What spacing would you put between Monterrey Oaks in a backyard?
yakin ag
AG
Apache said:

Love Arizona Cypress but I've never seen them trimmed up to make a shade tree.
Typically they are pyramidial or columnar in form.... don't know how that would work.

The San Antonio Botanical Garden has some in their parking lot that are trimmed up and have a more 'typical' shade tree shape. Not like a Mexican White Oak, but not like all my untrimmed Arizona Cypress trees have been.
AnScAggie
AG
You can always try leucaena leucocephala, may not be the best shade tree but it will grow fast.
hillcountryag86
AG
Think canopy can reach 40' diameter when mature
Apache
AG
30' spacing is standard.
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.