Outdoors
Sponsored by

4 wheeler

1,915 Views | 17 Replies | Last: 4 yr ago by ABCDE
calbrown08
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Up here in the DFW Metroplex. Huge Outdoorsman.

Anyways... I have a Chevy Silverado 1500 I believe a 5.5' bed. I'm looking to buy a four wheeler for this season. However, most full size ones, I can't close my tail gate.

Anyone know good models that are still 4 wheel drive and smaller?? The convenience of being able to close the bed is huge for me.
drummer0415
AG
Before somebody else says it I might as well....

Get a bigger truck.
cledus6150
AG
I have a 2014 GMC with the same bed, my 2006 Honda 350 4x4 fits in the bed of the truck and rides in the bed. But no way to shut the tailgate. You are going to need a much smaller four wheeler to be able to shut the tailgate. Just an FYI
Mas89
AG
I have a Honda rancher 4 wheeler for this very reason. I take off the toolbox and the 4 wheeler fits with the tailgate closed. Large ice chest is strapped to the rear 4 wheeler rack. Ramps go between wheels of 4 wheeler. Chevy short bed 2500.
drummer0415
AG
Mas89 said:

I have a Honda rancher 4 wheeler for this very reason. I take off the toolbox and the 4 wheeler fits with the tailgate closed. Large ice chest is strapped to the rear 4 wheeler rack. Ramps go between wheels of 4 wheeler. Chevy short bed 2500.

The standard "short bed" on most 3/4 ton pickups is 6.5ft.

The op has a 1500, of which the standard short bed is 5.5ft. I think that's the cause of his problems here...
highvelocity
AG
drop your tailgate and tie that ***** up. you'll be fine
Owner of Texas Strap Company use code TEXAGS for 15% off
www.txstrapco.com

Sales Director for BCA Firearms
www.bcafirearmstx.com
SquirrellyDan
AG
I had a mid 2000s Yamaha Big Bear that I think used to fit in my old dodge half ton with the gate closed.
aggie_wes
AG
Leave the tailgate down.

Also I have a 1995 Suzuki Quadrunner 250 I'm selling. Carried it in my 08 Silverado all the time.
03_Aggie
calbrown08 said:

Up here in the DFW Metroplex. Huge Outdoorsman.

Anyways... I have a Chevy Silverado 1500 I believe a 5.5' bed. I'm looking to buy a four wheeler for this season. However, most full size ones, I can't close my tail gate.

Anyone know good models that are still 4 wheel drive and smaller?? The convenience of being able to close the bed is huge for me.

If you have room to keep one, I'd consider a small utility trailer. Once you put a 4 wheeler in the back of the truck you have little to no room for anything else.
sjislepilot
AG
Honda 70
FSGuide
They make an adapter for this. It fits into your receiver hitch and then onto the hitch of the 4-wheeler allowing you to leave the tailgate down and secure the ATV
CS78
If you have a 5.5ft bed you are going to be hard pressed to find one that will fit with the tailgate closed. I have a 6.5ft bed and a 2018 foreman will barely squeeze in with the tailgate closed. The newer ranchers are on the same frame as the foreman. The older ones are smaller but I don't think a full foot smaller.

I understand wanting to close the tailgate. The locked tailgate is nice for extra security and I cant trailer my boat with the tailgate down.
kyledr04
AG
I hate 5.5ft beds
EskimoJoe
FSGuide said:

They make an adapter for this. It fits into your receiver hitch and then onto the hitch of the 4-wheeler allowing you to leave the tailgate down and secure the ATV

the agronomists around here all have them. i don't recall a brand on them though.
ought1ag
AG
https://texags.com/forums/50/topics/3060417
MrWonderful
AG
Get a utility trailer. Makes life so much easier. I got tired of loading and unloading out of a truck bed last year, bought a trailer and my only question is why I didn't do it sooner
schmellba99
AG
Ratchet straps are your friend. Buy some. Use them. Problem solved.
drummer0415
AG
MrWonderful said:

Get a utility trailer. Makes life so much easier. I got tired of loading and unloading out of a truck bed last year, bought a trailer and my only question is why I didn't do it sooner

This is the correct answer.
ABCDE
Better yet just use your truck to drive to your stands and get rid of 4 wheeler. Ranch I'm on now disallowed them and UTVs and it has made it much more enjoyable not having a couple guys that just want to drive around all day everyday on them.
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.