Outdoors
Sponsored by

No Bueno. Amoeba kills little girl

3,772 Views | 11 Replies | Last: 4 yr ago by MouthBQ98
ItsA&InotA&M
How long do you want to ignore this user?
https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.fox44news.com/news/local-news/local/family-says-10-year-old-valley-mills-girl-has-died-from-brain-eating-amoeba/amp/

Brazos River
BCO07
AG
Sad. Very uncommon, but happens somewhere in the southern US most years. Unfortunately it progresses so fast that when the diagnosis is made it's too late. It's successfully treated so infrequently and so uncommon that there isn't a good standard treatment. Pretty much the only shot at success is if somewhere in taking the patient's history it comes up that they were recently swimming in a local lake/river
Woods Ag
AG
Noted... pretty much always going to include this then.
Central Committee
AG
Much too young.

I have a little girl about that age. I cannot comprehend the anguish.

Prayers for peace for her family.
BCO07
AG
Woods Ag said:

Noted... pretty much always going to include this then.
Even then you're looking at very poor odds. There isn't good data regarding how often this infection happens because it likely goes undiagnosed at times, but in the data that I am aware of there have been less than 20 confirmed survivors world wide. There have also been less than 1000 confirmed cases world wide
BurrOak
AG
Here's a good article on the amoeba.

https://www.livescience.com/amp/66083-why-brain-eating-amoeba-is-deadly.html?fbclid=IwAR3xiygYCAoEN4WOXY0FXGUtsU0cdB-Gam2eLW7p6VkGp8hBgHkWn0IFMdI
ItsA&InotA&M
BurrOak said:

Here's a good article on the amoeba.

https://www.livescience.com/amp/66083-why-brain-eating-amoeba-is-deadly.html?fbclid=IwAR3xiygYCAoEN4WOXY0FXGUtsU0cdB-Gam2eLW7p6VkGp8hBgHkWn0IFMdI

From the article:
It is important to keep in mind that millions of people are exposed to N. fowleri and never fall ill. Those who study this amoeba don't know why a tiny subset of exposed individuals develop primary amoebic meningoencephalitis; they may have a genetic difference that makes them more vulnerable to the infection, or may have forcefully inhaled an overwhelming amount of the parasite.

-
A positive takeaway from the article is that millions of people are exposed and never fall ill and that it may be genetic .
cevans_40
AG
I have 8 & 10 year old daughters and we were swimming in Whitney all Labor Day weekend. Scary stuff.
5StarShield
AG
Tragic especially when you consider how extremely rare this is...

CDC graphs on number of cases nationally per year.

CDC graph of number of recorded cases EVER by state

BCO07
AG
Given the likely number of exposed people every year, the risk is absurdly low. IMO not something that you should worry about, there are way more common things to concern yourself with
MouthBQ98
AG
I used to be paranoid about this because I thought I'd just one of those things got in the right place you were doomed, but it seems like that things have to happen just perfectly wrong and you have to have some predisposition to be highly vulnerable to them. I have to wonder how many millions of those things I've come in contact with given all the times I've swam and played in water that was surely loaded with them.
TexasRebel
AG
You submerge your nose in still, warm, untreated water?
MouthBQ98
AG
It doesn't have to be still. I used to play, wade, swim in ditches and stock tanks and ponds, rivers and creeks and all sorts of water as a kid, or even occasionally still as an adult, and these things can grow in flowing water too, on the bottom or in more still areas. Those things are present in most freshwater in Texas, just in different densities in different areas, but typically in bottom sediment.
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.