Outdoors
Sponsored by

South Dakota Pheasant Hunting

2,334 Views | 15 Replies | Last: 4 yr ago by dr_boogs
RO519
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
I got invited to go pheasant hunting in Platte, South Dakota in mid-November. I haven't been pheasant hunting since I was 14 years old, and that was in the panhandle. That being said, what advice do y'all have? What should I expect? I plan on dressing in layers, cause it looks like it'll be good and cold, but we will be walking a lot and that will keep you warm.

Speaking of walking- I need to get some new hiking boots, any recommendations?
Log
AG
Asolo.

And invest in a set of gaiters.
Dirty-8-thirty Ag
AG
Going to SW Kansas again this year, South Dakota in 2020. Can't wait to bust some roosters, good luck to you and your group!

I wore jeans and upland chaps, a flannel shirt and a TinCloth jacket with my VaprTrek boots and was content the last three days.

My first day of the trip, I made the mistake of wearing long johns (top and bottom) and thick wool socks along with my gear mentioned above, it was brutal while walking the death marches, even in single digit temps.
Aggieangler93
AG
Please post up some pics when y'all get back. I have always wanted to hunt pheasant and have never found the time/money/opportunity to do so. I know my son would love it!
Class of '93 - proud Dad of a '22 grad and a '26 student!
Ag65Son
AG
I hunted between Platte, SD and Winner, SD about 5-6 years ago and I'm going back again this year. I go with a group that has been making this trip annually for over 20 years, but this will be only my second time to go. This year, we're staying in Platte and hunting north of there near Kimball, SD.

We're hunting the last week of October, which is what we did last time I went. Of the three days we hunted last time, it was pretty cold one day due to a cold front, and was really nice and mild the other two days, like highs in the mid to upper 50's.

I have bird dogs and hunt quail a lot, especially when it's cold in January and February. All my hunting is done walking and no riding in a mule or on a 4 wheeler. I also hunt pheasants in the panhandle nearly every year, and hunted pheasants in the snow in Kansas last November. I've found in both quail and pheasant hunting, its real easy to overdress because of the walking involved. Dress in layers would be my advice. I've found that when you're standing around outside waiting to hunt, you should be a little bit cold/uncomfortable. Then when you start walking you end up about the right temperature. If the wind is really cold and howling, bundle up more, but have layers you can remove.

If you buy new boots, buy them now and start wearing them when walking, working in the yard, etc, and get them broken in. One year up in the Panhandle, my brother in law shredded his feet by wearing a new pair of boots that weren't broken in. The ground isn't real rough up there, but you'll want same tread on your boots for traction. I wear a pair of handmade pull on boots that James Leddy in Abilene made for me, others prefer lace ups. Just wear something that's comfortable and broken in. I prefer light to mid weight wool socks because they feel good on my feet when walking, and I've never gotten a blister while wearing them.

It has been my experience that the fields in South Dakota aren't nearly as big as those in Texas and Kansas. However, you'll still want to be in decent shape. You can't start hunting wild pheasants (meaning not on a "preserve") in South Dakota until 10:00 am each day, so the hours you'll be walking are greatly reduced as compared to Texas or Kansas. Also, the farmers we hunt on manage intensively for pheasants and leave blocks of uncut corn or milo in the fields, which is where the birds will be. My point being you don't walk the entire field like you might do elsewhere. Their CRP fields aren't as big up there either.

Get you a good pair of shooting gloves that you can hunt in. Big bulky gloves might be warm, but they won't allow you to shoot. If you don't wear gloves and your hands get cold, you'll be miserable.

Sorry for the length of this!

Have fun in South Dakota! You'll see more pheasants by lunch up there than you will in a full weekend of hunting in other places. It's definitely worth a trip up there.
Dirty-8-thirty Ag
AG
Public upland game hunting in Kansas is cheap. No guides, just hit the different W.I.H.A.'s. We stayed in the Cimarron National grasslands and it was dirt cheap as well.

The way we hunted it was better to have a brush busting lab than a pointing dog. We didn't hunt open fields because we didn't have enough guys, it was just two of us. We hunted the thickest, gnarliest cover next to grain and water. If it didn't have all three thick cover, grain and water in the area we didn't even try it.

Small areas, since it was two of us worked better than the death marches because we didn't have blockers. We limited on quail and pheasant 3 of the 4 days. And damn near limited the last day we hunted a half day.

We also found a pond with about 3000 greenheads, got permission from the landowner and had a bonus Mallard smackdown one morning.
Ag65Son
AG
We hunted WIHA land in Kansas last November, the week before thanksgiving. We stayed in Sharon Springs, but hunted mostly around Oakley. It was just me, my 77 year old dad, and two of my dogs, so we couldn't hunt the big fields. It was my English Pointers' first time to be exposed to pheasants, but they did outstanding work. I took them to plainview for the Texas opener and they did good there too.

Our main dilemma in Kansas was it was so wet in there last fall, only about 25% of the corn and milo had been cut when we were there, and most of the birds were in the standing grain. We did well hunting small patches of cover next to harvested fields. We were in the northwest part of the state and didn't encounter any quail, just pheasant.

You're right that bird hunting in Kansas is cheap. Buy a license, get the atlas, and drive the dirt roads looking for promising places to hunt. It's an outstanding destination if you like to upland bird hunt. I was going back this year, until my opportunity to go to South Dakota came up.

Word is the pheasant numbers in southwest Kansas are big this year. You should do really well up there again this fall.
PANHANDLE10
Dirty-8-thirty Ag said:

Public upland game hunting in Kansas is cheap. No guides, just hit the different W.I.H.A.'s. We stayed in the Cimarron National grasslands and it was dirt cheap as well.

The way we hunted it was better to have a brush busting lab than a pointing dog. We didn't hunt open fields because we didn't have enough guys, it was just two of us. We hunted the thickest, gnarliest cover next to grain and water. If it didn't have all three thick cover, grain and water in the area we didn't even try it.

Small areas, since it was two of us worked better than the death marches because we didn't have blockers. We limited on quail and pheasant 3 of the 4 days. And damn near limited the last day we hunted a half day.

We also found a pond with about 3000 greenheads, got permission from the landowner and had a bonus Mallard smackdown one morning.

These are all lies. Turn around, find a preserve close to home. Long way to go for no birds. Only thing in Kansas is sunflowers, sunshine, and sonsof*****es.
Tx-Ag2010
AG
Depending on your current level of physical fitness I would definitely suggest some sort of lower body weight/cardio routine.

I wish I had done something prior to going last year. I had no idea how grueling the days would be busting through the cattail sloughs.

It was my first time hunting up there and I figured it would just be like walking a field in Texas for quail only colder... Boy was I wrong.
RO519
AG
Good info. Thanks for the replies y'all.

I'm not too worried about my fitness level, I do the MS150 every year as well as a few sprint triathlons, so I'm in pretty decent shape.

In regards to buying new boots, I we planning on buying some this week and wearing them around the jobsite for a few weeks (project management in commercial construction)

What would y'all say the most underrated piece of gear is?
Log
AG
RO519 said:

Good info. Thanks for the replies y'all.

I'm not too worried about my fitness level, I do the MS150 every year as well as a few sprint triathlons, so I'm in pretty decent shape.

In regards to buying new boots, I we planning on buying some this week and wearing them around the jobsite for a few weeks (project management in commercial construction)

As mentioned, gaiters.
PANHANDLE10
Gaiters are good. Chaps are better. Get the Filsons, you only live once anyways.

If you're gonna wear a vest, get one with the belt that buckles around your waist. It distributes the weight better and it doesn't bounce when you walk.

Neck gaiter
Chapstick
Red Man
Toilet paper
Big Hunk
Coffee thermos
Yea that should about do it.

Lots of yuppies dump two whole boxes of shotgun shells in their vest at the first walk. There's not gonna be a damn firefight.

Don't walk on the end unless you wanna be humiliated. There's no one else to blame for you missing out there.

And for the love of God if someone else's dogs are on the ground point your damn shotgun towards the sky while you walk.
Dirty-8-thirty Ag
AG
PANHANDLE10 said:

Gaiters are good. Chaps are better. Get the Filsons, you only live once anyways.

If you're gonna wear a vest, get one with the belt that buckles around your waist. It distributes the weight better and it doesn't bounce when you walk.

Neck gaiter
Chapstick
Red Man
Toilet paper
Big Hunk
Coffee thermos
Yea that should about do it.

Lots of yuppies dump two whole boxes of shotgun shells in their vest at the first walk. There's not gonna be a damn firefight.

Don't walk on the end unless you wanna be humiliated. There's no one else to blame for you missing out there.

And for the love of God if someone else's dogs are on the ground point your damn shotgun towards the sky while you walk.

Filson is the way to go if you're going to do multiple upland trips a year. I have bought all of mine used, off EBay. My buddy found some in second hand stores in New Mexico. Can be had WAY cheaper than paying for it brand new.
WildcatAg
AG
RO519 said:

Socks. Buy good wool socks and change them at lunch.
RO519
AG
I do need to get some socks.
tamc91
AG
I got a good clearance deal on a pair of Oboz hiking boots at REI a few months ago. I'm impressed so far.

Made in Bozeman, MT. High quality and a great insole.

Can't go wrongvwith Smartwool. They make different weight socks.
dr_boogs
AG
I've got a pair of Oboz as well. Highly recommend.
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.