Outdoors
Sponsored by

*****2019 Teal Season*****

6,709 Views | 60 Replies | Last: 4 yr ago by Cedar09
OnlyForNow
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Out in Garwood prairie, no limits yet but we've had a few birds.

Poor shooting hasn't helped.

No large groups, almost all singles and doubles.

Will post pictures after we're done.
dr_boogs
AG
One of the rare openers I'm missing today. Here's to great flights, good shooting, and tight straps.
DUman08
AG
Was a very slow opener for us on Katy prairie. Most blinds only killing around 10 bird average. Not much moving up here had birds earlier in week but they are gone now. Hope some new ones move in.
water turkey
Quote:

Was a very slow opener for us on Katy prairie. Most blinds only killing around 10 bird average. Not much moving up here had birds earlier in week but they are gone now. Hope some new ones move in.
Slowest teal opener that I can remember in a while. Need a front.
bmfvet
AG
Saw about 30 teal yesterday. Zero today. My dog's first duck hunt was a little slow.

FunkyTownFarmer12
AG
We had 4 guys just west of Garwood. We were fortunate to have pretty good bird action in the rice fields. Mostly shot at groups of 2 or 3 but were able to get one large group to decoy. 16 birds total.
mneisch
AG
6 guys, 14 birds down near the coast on public land. Pretty slow and similar to others. One flock of 5 birds but just 1s and 2s besides that.

However, not a single mosquito bite this morning. Seems like a pretty fair trade-off to me.
SanAntoneAg
AG
bmfvet said:

Saw about 30 teal yesterday. Zero today. My dog's first duck hunt was a little slow.

I've seen that look on a dog before...

Oh yeah, it was gidding's dog, John Wayne.
Gig 'em! '90
AggieArcher17
AG
22 between 4 hunters outside of eagle lake.

Slowwwwwww
wgk
AG
North of Edna, we had 34 between 6 guys. Lots of big groups were moving between our ponds.
OnlyForNow
AG
18 birds between 4 hunters, hunting outside of Garwood. Almost all was singles or doubles.

Poor shooting may have provided about another 5 birds.

ttha_aggie_09
AG
3 man limit and awesome first ever duck hunt with my own dog! More on that later...
Cedar09
Going to the prairie tomorrow!!
Post removed:
by user
CS78
Just two for us. I guess they all left with this cold front.
Mas89
AG
Limit hunt near Winnie in rice field. 11'6'' gator near Mt Belvieu this afternoon.
suburban cowboy
AG
Mas89 said:

Limit hunt near Winnie in rice field. 11'6'' gator near Mt Belvieu this afternoon.

Where? Jenkins?
Mas89
AG

South of 65

Hunting buddy has milo field beside Jenkins but not sure if it's been flooded yet. Had to pull levees first.
Chip Douglas
Hunted Katy Prairie this morning as well and we had 8 birds in our blind and another near us had 6. Mostly small groups like the others. We saw some bigger groups up high but not coming down.
Colt98
AG
Walking to blind this morning 10 min before shooting light and my dog finds a coon in our blind. Nice little fight, with me yelling at my dog as the coon(half dead) got my dog in the water and tries to drown him. As I'm about to jump in water he gets coon by the head. To crunches and coon is dead. As this is all happening I hear our birds leaving the lake. Ended up having two groups come in and shot 4 birds. Could of had a few more if we shot bettwr. Anyhow, exciting morning none the less. The old man still has never met a coon he has liked. Not the first time a walk to the duck blind in the dark has ended with my dog retreving me a bandit. I guess you could say that is one of the cons to a DD. He did get some good retrieves once the sun came up.
CS78
You know that's why he goes. Screw the ducks, he's in it for the chance at a coon.

Reminds me of our old dog hunting the Sabine marsh as a kid. Bout 930 every morning he'd disappear. Had scars and holes all over his face and ears from fighting nutria.
Cedar09
Killed 5 short of a seven man limit on the prairie this morning!
Colt98
AG
Yea I get that feeling. I'm pretty sure the coons at our house torment him bc our trash can is next to his kennel and from time to time you can see where they try and get into the trash. So it's his way of getting back at them. Retrieving the ducks is icing on the cake for him.
Trinity Ag
S
We killed 30 (5 man limits) in about 90 minutes yesterday near Eagle Lake.

Probably saw a thousand birds.

This morning, we got 20 -- didn't see a quarter of what we saw the day before.

About a half-dozen Greenwings among the 50.

We saw 4-5 big ducks flying with Teal this morning. Not sure what they were, as I do my best duck ID when they are in my hand.
ttha_aggie_09
AG
I saw a pair of spooners, whistlers, and a few gadwalls hunting opening morning.
mneisch
AG
Had several mottled ducks come into our spread yesterday, and hundreds of whistlers all over.
Trinity Ag
S
suburban cowboy
AG
Slow morning
hurricanejake02
AG
Our first opening weekend on the new place outside of Midfield, and we had a grand total of 9 birds across 3 blinds over 2 days. Nothing even moving in the area. Hoping some rain and weather this week will get them moving around again.
trip98
AG
hit rice fields south of winnie on saturday evening and again sunday evening.
saturday evening was limits for all 7 in about 45 minutes and left them buzzing the blind. Had my 9 year old out there for his first time to actually shoot while hunting (santa got him a 20 gauge for Christmas). He got his first bird and is absolutely hooked!!
Last night we got about 60-70% of our limit for 8-9 hunters. Had water on both sides of the blind and had tons of big groups coming in but if they came from one particular direction they got spooked about 60 yards from the blind. If whatever caused them to spook wasn't there we'd have limits again. Kid had a great time again and dropped a good one
CS78
Sunday was a little better for us in Bell county. Had some nice flocks work but for some reason they just wouldn't finish. Ended up with seven. We still had an excellent time. Buddies came over from Louisiana and brought their LSU tailgating rig. I about made myself sick on a box of Billy's pepperjack stuffed boudain balls. (worth the stop if you're ever that way). Another buddy brought his cabover up from the valley. We had the relaxation part down even if we didn't kill much.

KW02
AG
Where are the teal at? Been pretty slow out toward Eagle Lake. Did ok yesterday but the opening weekend and today were very slow. Not as many birds even seen flying like usual. Hope this rain pushes some in.
TXCAV
Shot 3 limits sat morning on public.
Trinity Ag
S
What is this storm going to do to the birds?
cheezag03
AG
Anybody ever had any luck out of a boat blind? Got skunked on public close to coast. I saw a lot of big groups and there was shooting around me, but they didn't want to come around my pond.

I think its time to give up on the idea of sipping coffee in a chair in the boat and go and sit on a marsh stool. I guess its just too big and tall of structure compared to the native grass. Either that or I need my own marsh where I can dredge a canal for the boat to have marsh on all sides.
Page 1 of 2

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.