Outdoors
Sponsored by

no step on snek

6,420 Views | 37 Replies | Last: 4 yr ago by AggieChemist
AggieChemist
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Big changes have been afoot in the AC household for a while. The wife and I recently decided to chase the dream and uprooted and moved up on top of the mountain. I traded my snowblower for a snowplow and my pushmower for a John Deere. The new homestead has a couple of bass ponds and abuts 16,000 acres of public land and trout streams.

Yesterday, while out messing with the dogs, I spotted this dude, a beautiful 4-foot specimen of a timber rattler, slithering across the front yard.

I poked at him only sufficient to get one real good rattle out of him and then let him on his merry way.

AgsMnn
AG
Nice
zooguy96
Obligatory "there's a snake thread for this".

J/K. Nice Timber. I've only seen 3 or 4 up here in TN.
SPF250
AG
Nice snek, but I want to hear about the new homestead.
MouthBQ98
AG
There's a few here or there in post oak prairie areas in Texas. We think one bit one of my dogs last year. She had some pretty bad leg swelling and permanent scarring. Definitely don't step on one of those.
cupofjoe04
AG
Congrats on the new place my friend! That's awesome

Sweet timber rattler! I've always wanted to see one
AgsMnn
AG
Please post more pictures of the Homestead.

Looks beautiful from the 1 picture.
AgBQ-00
AG
So what's the best way to cook one of those? I hear they make good boots too!

All kidding aside, That is an awesome place. Hope to hear more about it and your outdoor adventures there and around it.
Communists aren't people. They are property of the state.
wangus12
AG
You forgot the part where you blew it away with a 12 gauge.
Aggieangler93
AG
Looks like a great place to cast a line! Watch out for more snakes.
Class of '93 - proud Dad of a '22 grad and a '26 student!
ratfacemcdougal
NIIIIIICE !!!
AgLA06
AG
wangus12 said:

Considering they're protected in some way by every state they inhabit, I doubt it.
AggieChemist
AG
AgLA06 said:

wangus12 said:

Considering they're protected in some way by every state they inhabit, I doubt it.

In WV you can be in possession of 1 rattler >42" annually. That can either be dead for eating/skinning or live for religious purposes.
Throwout
AG
AggieChemist said:

AgLA06 said:

wangus12 said:

In WV you can be in possession of 1 rattler >42" annually. That can either be dead for eating/skinning or live for religious purposes.
Man I miss living in West Virginia.
AgLA06
AG
AggieChemist said:

AgLA06 said:

wangus12 said:

That's interesting. So basically as long as you aren't dumb enough to keep them around, you're good to deal with them as necessary.

normaleagle05
AG
How can a man take up snakes if in possession of but a single snake?
AgySkeet06
AG
AggieChemist said:

AgLA06 said:

wangus said:

So when do we get to see the footage of you drunk off single barrel bourbon, carrying around a timber rattler, chanting to the Great Spirit for a bountiful harvest of trout and deer???
RCR06
AG
Glad to see you posting here again.
AggieChemist
AG
normaleagle05 said:

How can a man take up snakes if in possession of but a single snake?
Well I suppose a feller could rely on other members of the congregation to bring their'n?
AllTheFishes
AG
When are you hosting the Texags OB flyfishing and cigar extravaganza?
Todd 02
AG
When you come back, you come back in style.
AggieChemist
AG
AgsMnn said:

Please post more pictures of the Homestead.

Looks beautiful from the 1 picture.
I don't have a lot of pics. It's mostly forested. The house itself is a step back from the creature comforts of suburbia, but the 83 acres, two ponds,and the adjacent 16,000+ acres of state forest do a great deal to improve it. It also sits around 2500 feet making it a full 15 degrees cooler than my other house. The high tomorrow at home won't break out of the sixties. I have muddy bear paw prints on the dumpster, no neighbors within 1 mile, and there are a lot more stars.
La Fours
AG
That sounds awesome. You are truly living the dream. Congrats.
AggieChemist
AG
La Fours said:

That sounds awesome. You are truly living the dream. Congrats.
I believe at 83 acres, I am permitted by Texags bylaw DS.209 to refer to it as a "ranch" and the ponds as "tanks".
dr_boogs
AG
Glad to see you are still around. Hadn't seen you post lately and assumed you had unplugged from the board for good when the exodus happened. You are one of the best posters on the site, thanks for checking in and please stick around. Would love to wet a fly with you some day. Good luck with the new place!
zooguy96
Living the dream. My wife wants a nice house - I want land. We have a nice house and 1.5 acres. The next house I want to have around 20 + acres.
AggieChemist
AG
Not a bad July evening.

Throwout
AG
So where is the new place located?
Oogway
Throwout said:

Patience, my friend. This is the Outdoors Board. They will have the Google Earth satellite pics along shortly, complete with details, license plate numbers, and more info than you know what to do with.

Congratulations on your new place, AC. Looks splendid and I am jealous of your cool weather.
AggieChemist
AG
Oogway said:

Throwout said:

Patience, my friend. This is the Outdoors Board. They will have the Google Earth satellite pics along shortly, complete with details, license plate numbers, and more info than you know what to do with.

Congratulations on your new place, AC. Looks splendid and I am jealous of your cool weather.

Well it was hot as **** last weekend. Temps were in the mid 80s so this is an improvement. New place is east of Morgantown on the Allegheny front.
AgEng98
AgLA06 said:

wangus12 said:

Off the top of my head, they are not protected in MS, AL, or GA. I don't think they are protected in LA, either.
spud1910
AG
You got any 5 gallon buckets for sale?
AgLA06
AG
Probably. I had that in my head and the 3 second Google search seemed to confirm it.
AggieChemist
AG
spud1910 said:

You got any 5 gallon buckets for sale?

Fresh out.
AggieChemist
AG
Page 1 of 2

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.